Camera Problem - Any ideas

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited November 20, 2007 in Cameras
I recently noticed at a shoot that my backup camera body is having a problem. It seems to be most noticeable at high ISO's. Here are two images that I shot - I think they are 1600 ISO - that display a strange blue line through the image. Is all lost? Does anyone think it is repairable? It is on an E-500 body. I am guessing it is a problem with the sensor.

218664149-M.jpg

218664066-M.jpg

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 7, 2007
    Take some test images of a plain dark flat surface, ideally out-of-focus. Change the ISO to see if that makes a difference.

See is a blue line is consistanly produced, in the same position and of the same length.

If it doesn't vary, it is probably the sensor and you should call/e-mail the manufacturer to sort your options.

If it does vary, then it could be stray radio frequency interference somewhere.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    I recently noticed at a shoot that my backup camera body is having a problem. It seems to be most noticeable at high ISO's. Here are two images that I shot - I think they are 1600 ISO - that display a strange blue line through the image. Is all lost? Does anyone think it is repairable? It is on an E-500 body. I am guessing it is a problem with the sensor.

Have you tried the pixel remapping function in the camera? I have no idea if that will actually do anything, but I am curious.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    I took a picture of a solid colored surface at ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600. The line is easilly visible at 1600 and 800. It is visible at close inspection on the lower ISO's. You can barely see it at ISO 100 - even at 100%.

Here is a link to see the tests:
    http://jswinton.smugmug.com/gallery/3791153#218692878

However, it is in every frame, in the exact same spot. I have emailed Olympus with some samples to see what they can do.
    edited November 7, 2007
    I took a picture of a solid colored surface at ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600. The line is easilly visible at 1600 and 800. It is visible at close inspection on the lower ISO's. You can barely see it at ISO 100 - even at 100%.

Here is a link to see the tests:
    http://jswinton.smugmug.com/gallery/3791153#218692878

However, it is in every frame, in the exact same spot. I have emailed Olympus with some samples to see what they can do.

It does look like a damaged column of pixels.

Has the camera been exposed to any temperature extremes recently? Sometimes these are stresses on the chip structure. (Basically the chip may be being bent.)
    ziggy53
    edited November 7, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Has the camera been exposed to any temperature extremes recently? Sometimes these are stresses on the chip structure. (Basically the chip may be being bent.)

Hmmm... it may have been, but not that I can recall. Do you know if there would be anything to do about it?
    edited November 7, 2007
    Hmmm... it may have been, but not that I can recall. Do you know if there would be anything to do about it?

Wait to hear back from Oly first, but if they cannot provide a reasonable and satisfactory solution (if you're really desperate and have nothing to lose) you can try some cold-warm cycles to see if that relieves the stress. Cold-warm cycles can also stress the chip more so proceed at your own risk.

I just thought of something. Is this a live view capable camera?
    ziggy53
    edited November 7, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I just thought of something. Is this a live view capable camera?

No - just a classic CCD sensor.
    edited November 12, 2007
    Well, as expected Olympus said its the sensor. I am sending the camera off to Olympus for a full diagnostic. Anyone ever had to pay for a new sensor? Any idea how much a repair like that would cost?
    edited November 12, 2007
    Well, as expected Olympus said its the sensor. I am sending the camera off to Olympus for a full diagnostic. Anyone ever had to pay for a new sensor? Any idea how much a repair like that would cost?

Include with the camera a note that you need to be contacted with an estimate before any repairs and give them ample methods of contact.
    ziggy53
    edited November 13, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Include with the camera a note that you need to be contacted with an estimate before any repairs and give them ample methods of contact.

Thanks Ziggy. Will do.
    edited November 20, 2007
    Just talked with Olympus - they have run a diagnostic and said it will be $200 to repair - frankly a bit less than I expected it to be. It will have a 6 month warranty on the entire camera after the repair as well. I told them to go ahead.
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Just talked with Olympus - they have run a diagnostic and said it will be $200 to repair - frankly a bit less than I expected it to be. It will have a 6 month warranty on the entire camera after the repair as well. I told them to go ahead.

That sounds reasonable - I had the filter replaced on my 30D sensor, and the bill was over $250.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900