Some help picking?

quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited November 11, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have a few other ideas, but let me know if you like any of these better than others. If you don't care for any of them please let me know why.

1. Midterms.
216997244-M.jpg

2. Waiting for winter.
216923268-M.jpg

3. Lower elevations.
216925092-M.jpg
heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
facebook
photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.

photos choices 25 votes

1. Midterms
36% 9 votes
2. Waiting for Winter. (owl)
24% 6 votes
3. Lower elevations (moutain goats)
40% 10 votes

Comments

• colfraglesscolfragless Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    I Think . Lower elevations. needed to be framed in a little bit tighter all the blackness at the bottom and not being able to really see the goats kinda take away from the image for me..... But i love the reflection in that Photo Awesome!!!
    ~Sparky~
    A Day where One can Spend all day doing something they Love is a wonderful day in deed... ~sparky~

Sparkyphotography.net
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Looks like the owl has a slight lead but you aren't all impressed. Anyone prefer this fresh one? Live at Tulas.
    218914020-M.jpg
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Me, Myself, and I really like the "Midterms"....I so relate to that photo...I am not a "good" person when it comes to taking "tests"...some of my professors gave me oral tests (get your minds out of the gutter :D ), cuz I clammed up when it came to the written ones...so they tested me, and every question they asked I could answer, I guess just something about the "time pressure" and having to "write" some how throws me for a loop...Laughing.gifLaughing.gif.

So that girl in the picture could be me..:D :Drolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    I quite like 'Lower Elevation'. It's a beautiful photgraph. But I think it would benefit from being displayed large. There's certainly enough there to attract and hold interest. Lots of colour. Balanced composition, etc. And the reflections and negative space keep the viewer guessing.

'Midterm' is interesting, but frankly it doesn't say anthing to me until I know the title. She may be sleeping, crying, being sick...? Might be useful as stock, though: To illustrate a magazine article, etc.

'Waiting for Winter' is a nice owl picture.

Live at Tula's? I suggest all the negative space does little for the photograph, so the crop could be a lot tighter, to emphasis the singer and the 'blues' she seems to be expressing.

Nice work. Shows you're thinking about what you shoot. clap.gifclap
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
    edited November 8, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. I am still not sure which direction to head. Any more opinions out there?
    facebook
    photoblog

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I love midterms, but you need to brighten it and give it more punch... It's too muddy and grey. But that's my absolute fave!!!
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I voted for midterms. I like all of them but that one has more "feeling" for me.
    edited November 10, 2007
    Thanks to you all. I entered a slight variation on the midterms photo. The equations are from my actual study notes, so you know this photo is very personal for me. :)

219782962-M-3.png
    facebook
    photoblog

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Hi Quark,

I like what you did with the text. That realy lets me know what the image is about, even without the title.

If I could offer anything, it would be to perhaps stretch the tones a little more unless you are specifically going for the current narrow tonal separation.

A quick levels adjustment (white point in and mid-tone slightly to the left) will give the image more contrast and more punch.

But don't take me too seriously, I could be totally off base with that.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
    edited November 11, 2007
    Thanks Peter, I have been arguing with my layers on this point all afternoon. I think I finally got it fixed. This kind of thing always remind me why I am better with the camera than the darkroom.
    :)
    facebook
    photoblog