Options

Planning a roadtrip through california.

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited January 27, 2008 in Location, Location, Location!
Well, this spring, around the end of March or the beginning of April (I hope), I'll be taking off from Reno and heading south on 395. I want to see the Desert, and then head over to the coast and drive up. I don't know exactly what I want to do when I hit the oregon border yet, I may turn around and head back down the 5 for a ways and branch off and visit the sierras and the cascades.

My big thing is I'm totally clueless about Southern California though. :scratch I've only been there a few times, and I was never driving. If anyone can help me with my roadtrip, that'd be awesome. :)
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    For the coastal portion, I'd suggest going down the coast (north to south) if possible since it's much easier to pull off and stop at the pullout areas on the right than the other way around.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited November 7, 2007
    Well, this spring, around the end of March or the beginning of April (I hope), I'll be taking off from Reno and heading south on 395. I want to see the Desert, and then head over to the coast and drive up. I don't know exactly what I want to do when I hit the oregon border yet, I may turn around and head back down the 5 for a ways and branch off and visit the sierras and the cascades.

My big thing is I'm totally clueless about Southern California though. headscratch.gif I've only been there a few times, and I was never driving. If anyone can help me with my roadtrip, that'd be awesome. :)
    If you want to see the desert I highly recommend a stop in Death Valley National Park. I was there last week, haven't uploaded my photos to SmugMug yet. There are some in my journal (at http://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/denise2007deathvalley) - writing is complete, but photos are not.

At that time, the weather looks to be about what I had last week, highs 80 to 90, lows in the low 50s or 60s. More info on weather at http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/Weather%20and%20Climate.pdf

Of course whether that fits in with your plans depends on how far south you want to venture before heading to the coast.

--- Denise
    Update: My Death Valley photos are now available at http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Travel/410074.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    I plan on at least going as far south as the Mojave desert, so I'll be going through there. :) Oh, and I plan on visiting the Channel Islands, I want to hike/backpack on one of them. :)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    The California coast as far down as Santa Barbara is quite beautiful. Since it is slow going, if you want to pick one stretch to drive, I would hit the coast South of Sf at Monterey and drive Route 1 as far as San Luis Obispo.

Rte 5 in S California is boring beyond belief but fast.

I hate LA but Venice beach is a photographers paradise.
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 13, 2007
    LittleLew wrote:
    ...I hate LA...

headscratch.gif

umph.gif grumble, grumble

iloveyou.gif be a lover, not a hater

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    I was thinking of reserving a campground on the Channel Islands. :)
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    If you'll be near the California/Oregon border, the Redwood National Forest is a nice place to visit. Several places to park and hike. Easy to get to, but feels very out of the way.

Here's an album of pics taken while on vacation with my family last year:
    http://tonyp.smugmug.com/gallery/1930962
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    If you come through Los Angeles check the tide schedule and try and capture the Santa Monica Pier at low tide...it is one of my favorite subjects!

1062857192_e506b669b2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    What's down by San Diego?
  • Options
    LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007

Mexico
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    I guess it all depends on what you like to photograph:

La Jolla Cove - tidepools, cliffs, harbor seal pupping beach, sea lions hanging out on the cliffs with big gorgeous waves crashing over them, huge flocks of pelicans and other sea birds, a really cool cave. If you're into architecture, the LDS temple there is absolutely incredible at night...I've been dying to get there to try photographing it after dark myself.

Coronado Island and the bridge, beautiful sky line view of San Diego, the architecture of the crown room at the Hotel del Coronado...

Re Mexico - the border wall is easily accessible at Borderfield State Park although it's not the most photogenic at that location, but it's really cool to see how the border along the beach is just a bunch of pilings. The little kids like to play games with the border guards and run through the posts, then dash back to the other side. There are still a lot of old border monuments in the area (I'm going down to photograph some next weekend before they're all gone), old WWII bunkers in the Otay Mountain area. The border guards WILL check you out, but it's okay and you are allowed to be there - it's a state park and the rest is BLM land, but it's also a very active border region. rolleyes1.gif

If you're into street photography, Old Town San Diego is a cool spot. It's a bit touristy, but a lot of history and a cool old west/mexico vibe going on. Some good restaurants and bars. Just a fun place to be. The Gaslamp District is a great place for street photography also (and more upscale dining and drinking :D).

When my nieces were visiting me they thought it was cool that one of the MTV Real World houses is in San Diego (yes, I had to take them to see it). eek7.gif

There's Balboa Park, the S. D. Zoo is first class, Cabrillo National Monument is one of the best places to watch for migrating whales (late November through April) although you couldn't photograph them from the beach - you could go out on a boat, Torrey Pines State Preserve...

Wow, I could name so many things! It really depends on what you like to shoot.

East of San Diego will put you back in the desert, and Anza-Borrego is a favorite spot of mine. Again, a lot of things to see and much depends on your mode of transportation. I'm always on the lookout for the endangered Peninsular Bighorn Sheep (only caught them once so far, but thumb.gif). If you're going to head out that way and looking for another hike, send me a pm and I'll give you the coordinates for a not-very-well documented area that I guarantee will be one of the coolest things you've ever seen if you're into landscape photography. It's about ten miles round trip, but the hike is rated an 8 (out of 10) because it's steep and slippery, and it is the desert so you'd need to be well-prepared. The time of year you'll be visiting is a good time to do it. There's the Salton Sea, burrowing owls, the Carrizo Badlands, Font's Point at sunset...

From there you could circle around to Palm Springs, Joshua Tree...

Back to your trip along 395 - the Trona Pinnacles are a must! They are tufa towers in a dry lake bed and were the scene of many sci-fi movies (Lost in Space, Planet of the Apes, StarTrekV). I was there about three/four weeks ago and caught the most gorgeous light just as a storm was coming in (but I haven't found the time to process the photos yet :uhoh - only two quickies and they're in my OffRoad Adventures gallery - Death Valley)

Since you seem to like hiking, you might want to visit Little Petroglyph Canyon near Ridgecrest; it is on military property and you will need to apply for clearance well before your trip but it has the largest concentration of petroglyphs in the western hemispere and most people won't go through the troubles to see them, so you'd be one of a very few. Here's a link that provide some information http://www.desertusa.com/magdec97/cosos/dec_cosos.html

Closer to the state borders are the very cool tufa towers at Mono Lake, but spending the night in Lee Vining is only for hardy souls; the accomodations are very basic and you're better off camping if you do sunset at Mono Lake! rolleyes1.gifI had horrible light and a boring sunset when I was there; I hear that sunrise may be more favorable.

Bodie Ghost Town is not far from Lee Vining; it is 13 miles off the 395 and part of the road is unpaved. Bodie is a photographer's favorite and definitely worth taking a detour, especially if you go early and catch some good light.

As Denise pointed out, Death Valley is a great choice. I keep going back over and over again because the park is huge and there is so much to see. There is a lot to see on the valley floor; you'd have to at least stop at Badwater, 282 feet below sea level, and catch the sand dunes at sunset.

But there is also a lot to see in the Mojave National Preserve (I'll be back out there in two weeks) including lava tubes, cinder cones, the singing Kelso sand dunes, lots of old abandoned mine structures and military outposts.

+1 on Yukio's recommendation that you drive the coast from north to south. You'll definitely want to do PCH at least the portion around Monterrey Peninsula (17-mile Drive is worth the exhorbitant toll, trust me) and down through Big Sur. You might not ever want to leave Big Sur. If you're breaking up the trip around that time, Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park is a great place to spend some time - that's where the waterfall that drops down onto the beach is. The Bixby Bridge is a architectural marvel and a lot of fun to shoot. Big Sur is some of the most gorgeous coastline you will ever see.

Hmmm...guess that's enough to get you thinking! :D I would point you to my galleries, but in all honesty I spend more time out adventuring and exploring than I do processing my photos...my galleries don't even have a tenth of what I've been shooting. (I really need to do something about that) rolleyes1.gif

Feel free to pm me if I can answer any questions or provide more info.

:D
  • Options
    tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    I've not spent a lot of time in SoCal and what little I have has basically been Disneyland (I love Disney! Laughing.gif)

if you're passing through Northern California... try to get to the Nevada City/Grass Valley area... nothing is prettier in Cali IMHO (of course I have family there so I've explored it a bit)... Bridgeport has a wonderful old time bridge that I wish I'd spent more time photographing in 06 when I was there... there's also the Empire Mine in GrassValley that has such a classic feel and GREAT landscapes, flowers, and the mansion is just so impressive. The history alone is worth it to me!

Nevada City and GrassValley are just so old time Cali even now it's great.

Have fun on your road trip, my best friend and I made a similar to your trip in August of 06 and I'm still reliving it!
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • Options
    micheleschankermicheleschanker Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Desert Wildflowers
    Well, if you are going to be in the Southern Cali area in March there could be lots of desert wildflowers. I live in the Palmdale/Lancaster area and if there is enough rain during the winter the Poppies are usually pretty good.
    Check this website for more info... http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=627
    Death Valley would have flowers as well if they get enough rain. Last year was very dry and there was hardly anything, so you'll just have to wait and see. The websites provide up to date info as that time if year gets closer.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Desert
    395 South. I vote for Bodie Ghost town early morning, so much of the eastern slope of the sierra around Bishop and the white mountians and ancient bristlecone forest. Of course Death Valley. Farther south Palm springs area there is the Indian Canyons palm oasis and petroglyphs, Thousand Palms Oasis. Joshua Tree National Park. Good shooting
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    billandersbillanders Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Personally, I can spend about three months just on the stretch of 395 from Reno down to Ridgecrest. There are so many opportunities along the way.

- Lone Pine
    - Manzanar
    - Mono Lake
    - Up 108 towards Kennedy Meadows
    - The backside of Yosemite (Tuolomne Meadows and the backcountry)
    - The June Lake Loop
    - Devil's Postpile
    - Bishop (you've gotta have a bowl of Split Green Pea soup and sourdough at Schott's Bakery. It's sublime).
    - King's Canyon backcountry
    - The stretch from Independence to Lone Pine is just incredible, especially if you hit it right at sunrise
    - Mt Whitney (there's a few days there, especially if you hike it and can get some shots of the surrounding range and valley)
    - Red Hill (between Olancha and Little Lake) is a beautifully symmetrical cinder cone, clearly visible from the highway.
    - Ridgecrest-Trona-Death Valley

As far as SoCal, OffTopic had a nice rundown. Also, the desert around Joshua Tree is amazing. Really, there isn't an area you can't go wrong. All of the suggestions above are great.

For the trip you're planning, I'd break it up into several different trips and just focus on an area for a while. Seriously. You'll miss so much by trying to make the whole loop in one shot. My parents, based out of Reno, spent about 8 years working the PCH alone, spending a week or two at a time along a small stretch. They still don't think they covered everything. But then again, they had an RV and could pull off on the side of the road and call it a night if they wanted to (within reason, of course).
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    What he says is true. I've lived here my whole life & still have missed most of the locations mentioned. Having discovered how strained my finances are, I think I'll be hitting a lot more of these close-to-home sites this year.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    billanders wrote:

For the trip you're planning, I'd break it up into several different trips and just focus on an area for a while. Seriously. You'll miss so much by trying to make the whole loop in one shot.

Yup, that's some good advice. I made my first trip to Death Valley in 06, went back last year and spent five days there, and now I have to go back in 08 just to catch a glimse of the southern part of the park! Death Valley alone is worth several weeks, IMHO. I mean, after all, there's only one sunrise and one sunset a day!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    LittleLew wrote:
    The California coast as far down as Santa Barbara is quite beautiful. Since it is slow going, if you want to pick one stretch to drive, I would hit the coast South of Sf at Monterey and drive Route 1 as far as San Luis Obispo.

Rte 5 in S California is boring beyond belief but fast.

I hate LA but Venice beach is a photographers paradise.
    you hate L.A headscratch.gifne_nau.gif that is funny In the L.A. Times your name was on page 2 it said FU did you go to Florida University headscratch.gifne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Yosemite
    I love roadtrips :D and California is great for road trips. Since you're going through the 395, the ancient bristlecone pine forest is near Mammoth, but it is up on the mountains and if we have more rain, it might be inaccessible due to snow. But it's worth the drive to see the some of the oldest living things on earth.

I've spent a week exploring the area around the 395, and there's so much to see and photograph. Like some others have mentioned, Mono Lake is a must-see but driving to Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite might not be possible in the spring due to the snows. Tioga Pass, the road to Yosemite from the 395 is usually closed until June, but it is an awesome drive.

If you do have a chance, go to Yosemite, my favorite place in the world to photograph. My Yosemite photos are posted on my homepage. That will give you an idea of what Yosemite looks like during the spring. In fact, spring is one of the best times to visit the park since the waterfalls are magnificent at that time of year and it's also much less crowded than in the summertime.

If you're going to spend time in the Monterey area, make sure you go to Point Lobos State Reserve, just south of Carmel.

Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks are also a great place to see. I haven't been there since I was a kid, but John Muir once said that Kings Canyon rivaled Yosemite in its beauty.

There is so much to see and do in California and I'm sure you'll have a great trip. Have fun!
    "Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com
  • Options
    tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Point Lobos, about 2-3 miles south Carmel. It is a small state park, with a lot of coves, hiking, etc. PLUS you should be able to catch whales there that time year, otter, jellyfish, seals, etc on top landscape
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Angelo wrote:
    headscratch.gif

umph.gif grumble, grumble

iloveyou.gif be a lover, not a hater

lol3.gif

I LOVE LA iloveyou.gif :ivar

hate little people (sorry Randy rolleyes1.gif ) rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifblbl.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DJWhittDJWhitt Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 27, 2008
    Channel Islands
    I was thinking of reserving a campground on the Channel Islands. :)

The California Channel Islands are part of the National Parks system. There is limited "boat only" access and no landing without a permit. Search the web on the National Parks service.

Island Packers runs day trips and I've heard some special group camp trips, but you have to get aboard their boat at the National Parks building in Ventura Harbor.

Truth Aquatics runs some kayak day trips from Santa Barbara.

Catalina is not part of the Nat. Park, but a tourist area, mostly. There are hotels there and there was a Boy Scout camp, but I don't know if it's open to the public, unless you're a scout.

Other than that, there is no landing/access/camping to any of the park islands. Santa Barbara Island is included in the Nat. Parks, has no real landing and is so small, rocky and steep I don't think anyone can get on it without a helo.

Of coures there's also San Nicolas Island and San Clemente to the south, but they are restricted Military operations area for the Seals and bombing. They do allow limited, boat fishing/diving, but no landing. If you get out there and it looks like a bomb... it is!

There are a bunch of dive boats that run out there for day and multi-day trips. I've been diving the Channel Islands on the Peace Dive Boat live aboard for 20 years. You can contact me directly if you want more info.