Which deal do I go with?

Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
edited November 9, 2007 in Cameras
Oh BH, I could get:

Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
Sandisk 2GB Ultra II CompactFlash Card
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
$ 1,004.90

OR
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
18-55mm lens
75-300mm lens
430 EX flash
$999.97

What are the pros and cons of each?
I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
Canon 40D
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 7, 2007
    The Tamron SP 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) is a really nice lens, a prosumer lens, if you will. Capable of professional work even wide open.

The other two Canon lenses are consumer lenses. They need to be stopped down to be very sharp and the build quality, on the "kit" lens especially, is pretty cheap.

Go with the good glass everytime. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Imo
    I would ditch both deals and go for a used 30D body with maybe the 17-85 usm IS, or 28-135 USM lenses, Not the best lenses, but not bad either. 30D feels so much better in the hands & is pretty inexpensive now that the 40D is on the market. Probably get body & lens for same $ or even less. I had the XT(not XTi) that I bought last year, it was a great starter camera, but I just picked up a used 30D and the build is so much better than the plastic Rebel series bodies, 300, 350, & 400D's.

My opinion.
  • Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    What about the SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

edited November 7, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    What about the SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]

Another great lens and possibly a more "normal" range for a crop camera. This would be a great pick.

You do need a flash for many indoor shots. If you can't swing the 430 EX flash right now, I suggest the Sunpak 383 auto flash if nothing else.
    ziggy53
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    I agree with Shawnc...
    IMO, the 30D is a much more plesant camera to use than either of the two latest Rebels.

The controls are easier to manage and are more intuitive. I do like the size better and don't need a battery pack as I do on my 350D. I also like (but seldom use) the availability of 5FPS burst speed.

Overall, I like my 30D a lot better than my 10D or 350D.

I got mine refurbished for a bit over $700 plus shipping.

BTW: I bought both the 10D and 350D new and needed to bring them in for repair within the first 90 days. Canon Service Center in Irvine did a great job and I have been using them without problems ever since. Since, I am actually shooting with two refurbished cameras for which I paid full price, I decided to skip buying new and get one that has already taken the requisite trip to the Service Center.

This camera with a nice medium range zoom by Tamron, Tokina or Sigma would be a great combination. It might be a bit more pricey (depending on the price of the 30D and your choice of lenses) but IMO, it would be a better and much more versatile combination and a combination on which you could build a lens system rather than replacing these two lenses in the future.

IMO, neither the 18-55mm nor the 75-300mm Canon lenses are particularly good.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Of the two choices definitely #1. I do agree with the rest, since 20D & 30D prices are down to around what a XTi runs, I'd go with them instead. Much nicer bodies overall.
    edited November 8, 2007
    Thank you...
    I just visited another forum where someone suggested craigslist. Low and behold a Canon 30D is for sale with less tahn 5,000 actuations for $600, body only.

mwink.gif
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

• z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Craigslist is a nice place, if you will pick-up stuff personally.
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
    edited November 8, 2007
    I also found the tamron lens I was looking for, but it's for $320. Since it's not that much cheaper, would make more sens to buy it new and register it with tamron so if I have issues I can send it in?
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 8, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    I just visited another forum where someone suggested craigslist. Low and behold a Canon 30D is for sale with less tahn 5,000 actuations for $600, body only.

mwink.gif

That's a good deal if the camera is in good condition. Put either of the Tamrons on it and you will have a much better kit than the original deals you posted.
    edited November 8, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    I also found the tamron lens I was looking for, but it's for $320. Since it's not that much cheaper, would make more sens to buy it new and register it with tamron so if I have issues I can send it in?

That sounds prudent. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    edited November 8, 2007
    We;l..
    I talked with my parents about it and they said they'd be more comfortable getting the new XTi rather than the used equipment from Craigslist because I can't get warranties or anything like that. On the person's ad he said it had less than 5000 actuations. Is it possible to bring it in and have a checkup performed on it?
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 9, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:

I think so. Tamron has a six-year warranty--much better than Canon.
  • FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    I talked with my parents about it and they said they'd be more comfortable getting the new XTi rather than the used equipment from Craigslist because I can't get warranties or anything like that. On the person's ad he said it had less than 5000 actuations. Is it possible to bring it in and have a checkup performed on it?

I'm not sure how much wiggle room your budget has, but another possible option would be to go with a used camera from a reputible dealer that has a warranty. KEH for example has 30Ds ranging from $789 to $969 depending on condition, and offers a 60 day warranty on all equipment. Take a look at http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=searchproducts&item=0&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&Size=&BC=DC&BCC=3&CC=&CCC=&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=30D
    --Travis