Portrait Retouched - gone too far?

photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
edited November 8, 2007 in People
I modified this shot slightly by removing some skin blemishes, softening the skin, sharpening/lightening the eyes and coloring the lips. Does it appear overworked?

218796224-L-1.jpg

Comments

• banbrobanbro Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Had you not called out the areas that you touched up I don't think they would have stood out from the rest of the image at all... even after knowing what you did I still don't think they jump out. in fact, the flowers in the girls hair jump out and are more of a distraction... I would maybe play with a slightly tighter crop.

I think you have succeeded with a nicely re-touched photo, congrats!
    Brock

Nikon D200 / various glass
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    I think you are just blowing smoke at us. I don't think you did anything to this photo and are just trying to make us tell you how wonderful the PP work is.mwink.gif:Drolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Actually, I would like to see the original for comparison purposes, but just because I'm curious. I think you did a wonderful job. Unlike banbro, I can't see any real evidence of the work you saymwink.gif you did. Very nice job.
  • gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Nicely done- I actually think you have more work to do.
    I would get rid of the shadow- at least I think it is a shadow- below and to the left of the girl's nose. If I really stare at this picture, it may be a little overworked- a little too smooth for reality. But this is the way most people like their portraits to look. Nicely done.
    Gary
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Nope
    Actually, you should never start your thread that you did thus and such to the photo...then you've got everybody looking to see what was done..Laughing.gif. This looks very nice and natural...I would not have looked for particulars...now that I have.....guess what? I still like it! Good job.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    I struggle with the same problem - how much is too much. You have done a really nice job here. Enough character left in the faces to convey personality, in each case appropriate to their ages. The last thing I think of looking at this photograph is whether you touched it up. Lovely picture of two beautiful subjects.

Virginia

Email
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 8, 2007
    Lovely skin tones and composition of mother and child. Very nice indeed.

I do not see what the chain link fence adds to the photo, howeverne_nau.gif

I can see that the background has been made much darker, but I might have just pushed it all the way to black, rather than leave the chain link visible. I probably would cop more to a portrait ratio also, which would help lose some of the chain link as well

I really like the image of the mother and daughter and their relationship, soft warm light, lovely smooth skin tones, but the background I find disconcerting. Others may certainly disagree with me.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    I am pretty sensitive to retouching too much when it comes to skin tones, I don't care for the overly smooth, magazine look I see a lot, it is freaky to me....this is done very nice, soft... they still look real...
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    I think you are just blowing smoke at us. I don't think you did anything to this photo and are just trying to make us tell you how wonderful the PP work is.mwink.gif:Drolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Actually, I would like to see the original for comparison purposes, but just because I'm curious. I think you did a wonderful job. Unlike banbro, I can't see any real evidence of the work you saymwink.gif you did. Very nice job.

I had thought about darkening the background, but it was taken at a school function, a ferry trip to Angel Island, so I thought I'd leave that bit of data in the photo for memory's sake.

I took most of the girl's freckles out because a female friend commented about how women like to see "cosmo complexion". Now I think I'll allow some to remain...kids have 'em and parents know where they are!

Thanks for the feedback...."everything I need to know I learned on dgrin"

for peeking

before

219016386-X2.jpg

after

218796224-X2-1.jpg