Options

um, like whats an ISO?

Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
edited March 9, 2005 in Technique
hey can we get an explanation of ISO, F stops, speed settings and their effects on how the picture comes out? im dumb when it comes to this stuff so if you could dumb down your explainations for me id appreciate it.

charlie
I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    hey can we get an explanation of ISO, F stops, speed settings and their effects on how the picture comes out? im dumb when it comes to this stuff so if you could dumb down your explainations for me id appreciate it.

charlie

charlie

for f/stops, exposure, iso, and more, read this thread in the hall of wisdom

iso is simply a measure of how sensitive the sensor is to light. it can be throttled from 100 (on most cams) to 1600 (on most cams). some have lower isos (kodak slr has iso 6!) and some have higher (canons can go to 3200). iso 100 (least sensitive to light) -->iso 200, you've m ade the sensor 2x more sensitive to the light. and so on.

bright day, outdoors, you shoot iso 100, b/c there is plenty of light. at night, in dimly lit cathedral, you shoot at 1600, because you need to make the sensor as sensitive to light as possible.

now, go read that thread and come back with your questions. we're here to help.

capisce?
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Hey CB.....

You can find alot of info here----> http://luminous-landscape.com/ go to the drop down menu for the Understanding Series.

Also there is alot of info here----> http://www.dpreview.com/learn/

Hope that gives you some reading material.

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    Hey CB.....

You can find alot of info here----> http://luminous-landscape.com/ go to the drop down menu for the Understanding Series.

Also there is alot of info here----> http://www.dpreview.com/learn/

Hope that gives you some reading material.

Tim

not for nothin' but there's plenty of great info right here on dgrin. try here first!
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    My stab at it
    ISO is basically how sensitive the sensor is to light. Low ISO (i.e. ISO 100) is like when you have been outside in the sun and can look at pretty bright things without trouble. But you go inside real quick and everything looks super dark.

High ISO (i.e. ISO 1600) is like when you have been in the dark for a while and you can see very dim things, but shine a light in the eyes and you go blind. High ISO makes the cameras sensor more sensitive to light.

F-stops or aperture is basically like squinting. It controls how big the opening is that allows light into the sensor. The wider the opening, the more light can get in. The more you squint, the brighter the environment you can comfortably view. Another way of looking at it is the pupil of the eye. When the pupil is dilated you can see things in low light. The pupil (or aperture) when constricted allows you to view bright environments.

Shutter speed is like blinking. The longer you keep your eyes open, the more light hits your eyes. Keep your eyes closed and just take a quick blink look at something bright and it probably wont hurt. You are adjusting the shutter speed of your eyes to control the amount of light that you let in.

All three of these exposure variables can be interchanged with each other. If you are in a bright environment you can make the sensor less sensitive to light by lowering the ISO, you can also use a small aperture to limit the amount of light, and use a short shutter speed.

If you want to shoot in a dim setting, you can open the aperture, crank up the ISO, and use a longer shutter speed. How much of each variable you use depends on how you want the photo to look.

High ISO typically shows more grain, low ISO has less
    Small apertures have a wider DOF and star patterns on point sources of light
    Wide apertures have a shallow DOF and turn point sources into spheres
    Fast shutter speeds freeze movement and action
    Slow shutter speeds blur movement and action

So depending on your artistic needs, you would choose settings that appeal to you. All three variables also need to be balanced so that the resulting exposure is not underexposed or overexposed.

A good study project is to read this page, and with time and practice, understand it:
    http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

charlie
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    not for nothin' but there's plenty of great info right here on dgrin. try here first!
    You linked him to our hall.....just thought that maybe he would like some other views. Sometimes things can be much easier to understand if you read it from several differant sources. You know that I am a HUGE fan of DaGrin', its my home page!:D

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    CB - any halfway decent photography book will have a full explanation of ISO, aperture (f-stop), and shutter speed - and how they all interact for exposure. If you're like me, reading post after post is numbing, where one well written book gives you the "a ha". Might I recommend a nice one by John Shaw - Nature Photography. It was my first book, and I still refer to it. Great photos too. In all honesty though, go to your local bookstore and buy any nice book under $20 with some photos.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    hey can we get an explanation of ISO, F stops, speed settings and their effects on how the picture comes out?
    J: Hi CB. This is my first post here at DaGrin', and I actually get to (read "attempt to") help somebody! thumb.gif

H: At first J was gonna start out by posting a thread asking for your own (and everyone else's) assistance, but then I persuaded him ( :beatwax ) to read through a few of the existing posts first. And yours was the first we stumbled across.

J (:hurt ): Right. Who could ignore that plaintive call from out of the darkness?

H: As some very knowledgeable folks have already alluded to (two of my own heroes included), there is a heck of a lot of technology that goes into making today's digital photography happen. As you can see from the links provided, there can be some rather lengthy discussion of it all. HeHe.

J: However, with camera in hand, photography really becomes very simple (at least my own version). Shot to shot, day in and day out, there are only three major technical decisions I make, and I think you guessed them.

F-stop
    Shutter Speed
    and ISO

H: Here's my process (for general shooting, I almost always use Aperture Priority mode):

Step1: Adjust the aperture to blur or sharpen the background to your liking. With the S50 it's easy, 'cuz you have the live preview showing on the display (what you see is what you get). End of step 1.

Step 2: Check the shutter speed to make sure that it's fast enough so that you won't get a blurry shot (trial and error will show you how slow you can reliably go with that camera). End of step 2.

Step 3: If the shutter speed readout is too slow, then bump up the ISO until you can be reasonably sure you'll get a steady shot. End of step 3.

That's it in a nutshell.

J: Now I can go into an explanation of some of the other finer points involved (white balance, exposure compensation, AF mode, etc) ad infinitum...

However at this stage, if you keep the technical side simple and focus your energies on composition, angle, focus, timing, and lighting, then I think you'll start to get the knack of making a technically good photograph, great.

H: So go out and have a good time shooting, and think about the camera as little as possible. :D
    J&H friday.gif
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    blah blah blah J & H said....

nod.gifnod.gifnod.gifnod.gifnod.gif
  • Options
    dbtdbt Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2005
    um, like whats an ISO?

You have already got a lot of grea explanations. A really good explanation of the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture settings is found in Jon Cox's book: Digital Nature Photography published by Omphoto press. It is very straightforward and he has some good diagrams and exercises in the back of the book