Options

Telephoto lens

BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited March 7, 2005 in Accessories
It's that time again, where the amature asks the pros. Now that I've solved my problem of buying a fisheye or a wide angle ( I bought both:D ) I now have a new decision to make. I am looking into purchasing a telephoto lens because I have a passion for sports photography. I have the extreme sports covered with my 0.7X wide angle and my 0.3X semi-fisheye. But I go to alot of hockey, football, soccer, and baseball games and I prefer to keep the zoom to a minimum. I am now my highschool photographer, and no, I don't wan't to buy this just for school use, I do plenty of my own photography. Unfortunatly I make no money out of school photography, but plenty of experience is gained. Well, here's where I need help. I want a telephoto lens that would be considered "average" in the sence that it doesn't zoom way too much, but it doesn't zoom not enough. I hope I'm making sence with all this. I am extremely satisfied with my 0.7X Sony Wide Angle, and would consider purchasing the Sony HGD1758. It is a 1.7X Telephoto. Now, I would really appreciate and feedback, suggestions, anything that can help make this decision easier and to help me gain more knowledge. Thanks in advance

NOTE- THIS IS THE SONY TELEPHOTO I WAS TALKING ABOUT
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=dcc_DIAccessories_DILenses&ProductSKU=VCLHGD1758&TabName=feature
Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Brett wrote:
    It's that time again, where the amature asks the pros. Now that I've solved my problem of buying a fisheye or a wide angle ( I bought both:D ) I now have a new decision to make. I am looking into purchasing a telephoto lens because I have a passion for sports photography. I have the extreme sports covered with my 0.7X wide angle and my 0.3X semi-fisheye. But I go to alot of hockey, football, soccer, and baseball games and I prefer to keep the zoom to a minimum. I am now my highschool photographer, and no, I don't wan't to buy this just for school use, I do plenty of my own photography. Unfortunatly I make no money out of school photography, but plenty of experience is gained. Well, here's where I need help. I want a telephoto lens that would be considered "average" in the sence that it doesn't zoom way too much, but it doesn't zoom not enough. I hope I'm making sence with all this. I am extremely satisfied with my 0.7X Sony Wide Angle, and would consider purchasing the Sony HGD1758. It is a 1.7X Telephoto. Now, I would really appreciate and feedback, suggestions, anything that can help make this decision easier and to help me gain more knowledge. Thanks in advance

NOTE- THIS IS THE SONY TELEPHOTO I WAS TALKING ABOUT
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=dcc_DIAccessories_DILenses&ProductSKU=VCLHGD1758&TabName=feature

for the f717, i and many others, used the b300 from olympus. you find it on ebay now. for new, you can buy the tcon 14b from olympus. about 2/3s the cost of that sony :D good luck!

ps: you'll need a stepping ring, from 58mm (male) to whatever diameter the b300 or 14b is (female). also, i don't recommend the 1.7x conv becuase of the heavy vignetting... just my personal experience.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    You might run a search at dpreview, in their Sony talk Forum. There's such a large user group, that if you search for 1.7X or telephoto, I reckon you'd get a lot of hits.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    You might run a search at dpreview, in their Sony talk Forum. There's such a large user group, that if you search for 1.7X or telephoto, I reckon you'd get a lot of hits.

1.7x :lynn

1.4x nod.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    andy wrote:

1.4x nod.gif
    thumb.gif
    :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    andy wrote:

1.4x nod.gif
    Thanks Andy, you also answered my question about wish (spellingheadscratch.gif) TC to get for My FZ20. thumb.gif