Fall in the Mountains

BeezeBeeze Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited November 11, 2007 in Landscapes
Hi, thought I would post a few shots from the Blue Ridge Mountains. Thanks!

218768901-L.jpg

218769739-L.jpg

218778985-L.jpg

218778504-L.jpg

http://rljphotography.smugmug.com/

-RLJ

Comments

• hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Wow, beautiful! #1 is amazing.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Nice
    Except ya should really level #1 before you put it front of the public.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • BeezeBeeze Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    Except ya should really level #1 before you put it front of the public.

I am a beginner at best and am not sure what you mean by "level" the photo. Level to the horizon? If so, it is.

Thanks,

RLJ
    edited November 9, 2007
    Beeze wrote:
    Level to the horizon? If so, it is.

Thanks,

RLJ

OK . . .
    John :
  • broby6broby6 Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I'd like to visit the Smokies sometime. Looks like fall is the time to do it. Very nice shots.

broby6
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Nice images.

No. 1 looks oversaturated a little to me on my monitor and has picked up some colour noise, but the view is wonderful.

No. 3 is the best in my opinion.

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    OK . . .

Didn't you know the horizon always rises on the left. How else would you get to China? You have to climb over the curve of the earth.headscratch.gif
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
  • JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Sorry, rolleyes1.gif The pictures are very nice, by the way!
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
    edited November 10, 2007
    Thank you for all of your comments and humor.

Seriously though, is there a consensus about the level of the horizon? The mountains in the background are sloping naturally to the right. Higher elevation to the left, lower to the right. That's how I remember it when I was standing there. Or have I lost my mind?
  • LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Actually, if you look at the red tree in the forground, the right side of the photo is perfectly perpendicular to that tree. (edit, I meant parallel, I was distracted) I don't think there's any way to know if the horizon should be perfectly straight from this angle. The mountains are going away from him at this angle.

you know, I really get tired of all the critics sometimes. Everyone has to think they can do it better or that they know more. Here's an idea, why don't more people be critical of their own work?

nice job Beeze.
    edited November 10, 2007
    Well since y'all want to keep bringin' it up
    No, the mountains do not rise naturally like that. From the top of any ridge in the Blue Ridge, Smokies, Catskills, Adirondaks, Whites, Greens, or Presidentials, the horizon is essentially level (and I've been on most of them). If you doubt my opinion, look at the base of the clouds on the right side. The bases of those clouds should be level with the horizon.

And Lex, If you're going to jump into a thread in defense of someone who didn't ask for your defense, at least get it right. I suspect you meant to say that the red tree trunk is "perfectly parallel" to the right side of the photo - not "perpendicular." But since you bring up perpendicular, if you'll get a square (like a piece of paper) you'll find that that particular tree trunk is "perfectly perpendicular" to the photos tilted horizon. ne_nau.gif

And FWIW, the pointed criticism I've received in this forum on every shot I've posted has helped improve my still lame skills. I'm outa here.
    John :
  • LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Yes, I did mean parallel, it was late, my brain was mush. I happen to live in the Smokies myself, but that doesn't give me the right to judge every shot that is taken in the GSMNP, Ice Bear.

I'm not arguing, I am just saying, typically if someone wants a critique, they will ASK FOR IT.

One forum I know even has a special icon indicating critique requested. Just because someone posts a photo, doesn't mean they asked it to be scored like a school project.
    A certain number of people always seem to want to do an autocritique. I'm not just picking on you ice bear. you know what? I don't even care about the horizon. I really don't care enough to even labor the point. My only point here is, are critiqers always self proclaimed experts, or experts because they are professionals? In my view, there's a vast difference.

If he got it wrong, then he'll probably get it right next time for sure. It's not my place to tell him he's wrong. Now I am done here.
    Icebear wrote:
    No, the mountains do not rise naturally like that. From the top of any ridge in the Blue Ridge, Smokies, Catskills, Adirondaks, Whites, Greens, or Presidentials, the horizon is essentially level (and I've been on most of them). If you doubt my opinion, look at the base of the clouds on the right side. The bases of those clouds should be level with the horizon.

And Lex, If you're going to jump into a thread in defense of someone who didn't ask for your defense, at least get it right. I suspect you meant to say that the red tree trunk is "perfectly parallel" to the right side of the photo - not "perpendicular." But since you bring up perpendicular, if you'll get a square (like a piece of paper) you'll find that that particular tree trunk is "perfectly perpendicular" to the photos tilted horizon. ne_nau.gif

And FWIW, the pointed criticism I've received in this forum on every shot I've posted has helped improve my still lame skills. I'm outa here.
    edited November 11, 2007
    Please...
    Guys, can't we all just get along? I appreciate any and all feedback and take no offense to anything that has been posted about my photos. If your not open to others opinions and critisizm, then why post your photos on a message board? I personally want to know what people think, good or bad.

I agreed with another posters critique in that the biggest issue with the photo is that it appeared washed out and perhaps over exposed. Would a graduated filter help in that situation?

The more I look at it, the horizon may not be 100% level and I probably could have done better. If it was not a 6 hour roundtrip drive I would go back today and reshoot. I will definitely be more aware of this in the future though.

Again, thanks for all of your feedback and comments!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Hi Beeze! Yes a graduated ND filter could help in that situation. Or there are a couple things you can do in post-processing, such as making with adjustment layers. Blown out skies are difficult to work with in daytime landscape shots and a particular bee in my own bonnet :D

Thanks for sharing some great autumn vistas!
    edited November 11, 2007
    Photo #1
    Actually what Post #7 said was that the photo looked a bit oversaturated, not overexposed. I think the problem with that post is that the poster lives in England where its always fookin rainin' and he needs to come to the Eastern US and check out our fall colors. For all you folks in other parts of the country, the Appalachian chain, from Maine to Georgia, really does have colors like that in the fall.

I don't think it needs a reshoot. Just a little basic post processing work. Heck, if you went back, it wouldn't be the same shot.

And BTW, please note that the title of my first post in this thread (#3) was "Nice". I do like all the shots. If the shot had been blah, I'd not have bothered with a comment at all.
    John :