Zane & Melissa

CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
edited November 13, 2007 in People
Here are some pictures I took in a studio set up that I use for work.. This is my brother Zane and his girlfriend Melissa.. Just kinda playing around with the lights and angles. C&C definately welcome!

1927043854_2c7e14ccd1.jpg

1926213883_f07ed6766a.jpg

1926218743_e47f7b8b6c.jpg

1927047114_f9dc5b3d44.jpg

1927046330_9c33d88e02.jpg

As for number five, I do have another version of this photo, but cropped.. I need someones advice on this one... He wanted a couple pictures with his "old man" outfit.. I was NOT the costume coordinator haha
Thanks for looking!
-Jamie
"Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
-Marilyn Monroe

Comments

• CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Anyone?
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 9, 2007
    I like the subtle (hah! I do know the word subtle) color and what you're using for the bg for #1-

your bw conversions are nice and the pose and outfit in #5 is neat-

I'm not a big fan of the angle shots but that's just me-

and #2 is a good closeup portrait-

keep shootin!--
    edited November 9, 2007
    thanks for the reply Mr. gefillmore! Appreciate the comments!
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I like your processing (especially #1) and your lighting in all of the shots. The tight shot works fine in #2, but personally I would like to see more breathing room in the couples shots. I can't quite pinpoint it, but I guess I would like to see more creative poses and less tilting. I use tilting too, I'm not totally against it, but I mainly use it when I'm shooting parties, weddings, etc. or any shoot where I am shooting lots of frames. I try not to post all tilts as it seems to distract from really looking at the work itself. Hope that makes sense! Overall nice work with exposures and lighting.
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I like 1st and the last shots the best. I wish 1st one was a tad sharper, but processing is good. The rest, there is something about croping them that doesn't work for me. But it's about you and your prespective.
    :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Overall, nicely done....
    1. I think a crop that put their eyes at the top 1/3 would have been better - his hands wouldn't have been chopped and you wouldn't have the space at the top.
    2. LOVE this shot. I think it's a tad dark, though. But still really nice!
    3. If this had been a horizontal crop instead of vertical, I might have liked it a lot more. I don't think the tilt ads anything, though. I think tilted photos have to come naturally as part of the process - not thought about and forced. But that's just me - I don't actually purposely tilt usually.
    4. Another forced tilt. I think rotated correctly, this is a nice portrait, though!
    5. His eyes dead center isn't doign much. But cropped to the 1/3 either direction would be much better. Nice shot and processing
    Overall I think these are really good. I wouldn't force the tilt and I think the processing could be a bit brighter, but I still love it... Very nice!!
  • CarloskbcoCarloskbco Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I like them...
    I like the conversions too...reminds not to wear those hats, they kind of look "old"..

:D

Thanks for sharing

Carlos
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 10, 2007
    I like all of these, especially the first. thumb.gif Perhaps it is my old monitor, but they all seem a little on the dark side to me. Maybe that's what you wanted... ne_nau.gif

Cheers,
    edited November 12, 2007
    Thanks for all of the replies!
    As far as them being dark, THEY ARE! I didn't intend for them to be as dark as they are.. I'm using a macbook and the angle I look at my screen it's a lot lighter than they are in reality! I didn't realize how dark they were until I saw the pics on another computer!
    Does anyone use a laptop?? and what's the trick to making sure you don't end up with over\under exposed photos!?
    In regards to the more creative type poses, I need some suggestions! Especially in my set up I felt really limited just because of a) the lack of room I had.. In my living room with everything pushed against the wall and on top of eachother!! b) my inexperience in creative portraiture.. I know how to take regular headshot\portraits, but I can't seem to step outside of my comfort zone with that! Thanks again! any more comments on different poses would be muchly appreciated!!
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • mrpillesmrpilles Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    No. 1 is a little dull. Try lightening it up or a little more contrast without making the shadows too dark.

1927043854_2c7e14ccd1.jpg

1926213883_f07ed6766a.jpg

1926218743_e47f7b8b6c.jpg

1927047114_f9dc5b3d44.jpg

1927046330_9c33d88e02.jpg

As for number five, I do have another version of this photo, but cropped.. I need someones advice on this one... He wanted a couple pictures with his "old man" outfit.. I was NOT the costume coordinator haha
    Thanks for looking!
    -Jamie[/quote]