A mix of flies

AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
edited November 14, 2007 in Holy Macro
This first one I initially thought was a wasp but turns out in fact to be a Scorpion fly. It just hangs around waiting for somehting to come close when it pounces as in this picture and ends up with spider lunch.

215812797-L.jpg

Then there is this "Red tailed fly" I still have to identify. The tail really is this bight and colourful.

218881806-L.jpg

This next one is the normal Big fly we call March fly, but it is November so who knows, it is about twice the size of a normal house fly.

218380558-L.jpg

This one really isn't a fly. But it isn't a Damsel or in the dragon fly family or a moth so I am putting it in the fly thread :wink It is actually a Antlion

218389143-L.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Excellent selection of bugs you've caught - some very interesting less common ones.
    #2 Looks like a Tachinid fly
    #3 is I think a bee fly.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Aussieroo wrote:
    This first one I initially thought was a wasp but turns out in fact to be a Scorpion fly. It just hangs around waiting for somehting to come close when it pounces as in this picture and ends up with spider lunch.

Then there is this "Red tailed fly" I still have to identify. The tail really is this bight and colourful.

This next one is the normal Big fly we call March fly, but it is November so who knows, it is about twice the size of a normal house fly.

This one really isn't a fly. But it isn't a Damsel or in the dragon fly family or a moth so I am putting it in the fly thread mwink.gif It is actually a Antlion

Another nice series .... that second shot of the Red Tailed Fly as you call it.
    Hi body (tail end) is almost translucent.
    Awesome shot! clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I have a friend at the local university who is trying to ID that fly for me. We go out shooting together and have come on this fly a couple of times now. Still haven't found one elsewhere on the internet. Thanks again for your feed back I doubt we ever "arrive" with this great hobby but I feel I am well on the way.
    edited November 14, 2007
    I thought I would add one more fly I shot this morning. The RAW file didn't look too good but once I got into the CS3 editing I soon changed my mind.

221318088-L-1.jpg
    edited November 14, 2007
    A different view of a scorpion fly I snapped this morning, while we were shooting it caught a fly. Boy was it fast from hanging around looking dead to "Wham!" got a fly!!

221344307-XL.jpg
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Wonderful shot :)- have only seen scorpion flies once and wasn't sure if they are as fierce as they look- obviously they are :)

Brian V.