Options

Naked Light -- Mac only Editing Software

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited November 10, 2007 in Finishing School
Anyone know anything about this? The public beta is released tomorrow, November, 09.

Naked Light.

Mac only.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Anyone know anything about this? The public beta is released tomorrow, November, 09.

Naked Light.

Mac only.

Not Mac only, but Leopard 10.5 only. Is Apple behind this, perhaps? A full 32bit color space.

Beta is to appear tomorrow Friday Nov 9 http://www.naked.la/light/
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I'm going to bet it's implemented in core animation, and that's why it's 10.5 only. But it looks like it's going to be fun to try!
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    You guys will get a kick out of this. I went to the website to check it out and:

219279222-M.jpg

He he. I've had sites tell me I need to use FF or Safari before, but I've never had a site cover up the content so I couldn't read it until I did! rolleyes1.gif

Incidentally, the link is broken an ONLY links to the Safari page, no matter where you click (no way to get to FF download from it).
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    You guys will get a kick out of this. I went to the website to check it out and:

He he. I've had sites tell me I need to use FF or Safari before, but I've never had a site cover up the content so I couldn't read it until I did! rolleyes1.gif

Since it's Mac-only software, I guess it's reasonable to not support IE. I must say, I love to see this.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

Naked Light.

Mac only.

Cool concepts in the preview info. It looks like it's targeted at photographers, but I don't see much at all about the photographer's workflow and I wonder if they've missed the whole Aperture/Lightroom trend to focus on the whole problem for the photographer, not just workflow and not just editing, but the whole workflow including both. Certainly, there are many graphics professionals that do primarily image editing, but they seem to be focusing on the photographer without addressing the photographic workflow.

To me non-destructive editing is most useful when it's done in context with my overall workflow so that I can do things like fix the white balance on two hundred shows in a few seconds or I can reduce the saturation on red soccer uniforms for an entire shoot in a few seconds or I can sharpen a whole shoot prior to generating JPEGs in a few seconds. I don't mind destructive editing for the few images that I want to hand tweak. Would more non-destructive editing in my main image editor be good, yes. Is it going to cause me to change which image editor I use, probably not.

We'll have to see if they release more info on the product when the official announcement happens in a few hours.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Cool concepts in the preview info. It looks like it's targeted at photographers, but I don't see much at all about the photographer's workflow and I wonder if they've missed the whole Aperture/Lightroom trend to focus on the whole problem for the photographer, not just workflow and not just editing, but the whole workflow including both. Certainly, there are many graphics professionals that do primarily image editing, but they seem to be focusing on the photographer without addressing the photographic workflow.

To me non-destructive editing is most useful when it's done in context with my overall workflow so that I can do things like fix the white balance on two hundred shows in a few seconds or I can reduce the saturation on red soccer uniforms for an entire shoot in a few seconds or I can sharpen a whole shoot prior to generating JPEGs in a few seconds. I don't mind destructive editing for the few images that I want to hand tweak. Would more non-destructive editing in my main image editor be good, yes. Is it going to cause me to change which image editor I use, probably not.

We'll have to see if they release more info on the product when the official announcement happens in a few hours.
    I'd love to find out in 22 minutes or so that it functions nicely as an external editor in conjunction with Aperture -- an alternative to photoshop -- that would solve the workflow/editing issue you mention.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    Wow. Talk about rough around the edges. Alpha, not beta!!! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, the blog comments sounds pretty harsh, it sounds like most tools are either disabled or don't work and it sounds like it might be just one developer. We'll have to give it some time and see how it works. The missed expectation is because the web-site was overdone in proportion to what has been delivered so far.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    If that's your review, and you are a thoughtful guy, I'm not even going to download it. Kinda lame to do a big Apple-style countdown when you're so not ready for prime time.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    KED wrote:
    If that's your review, and you are a thoughtful guy, I'm not even going to download it. Kinda lame to do a big Apple-style countdown when you're so not ready for prime time.

It's only worth it if you're curious to see it in the early stages of development. If you plan to actually use it for anything, wait. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

That was my impression also. Not really ready for prime time.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    It looks like it's targeted at photographers, but I don't see much at all about the photographer's workflow and I wonder if they've missed the whole Aperture/Lightroom trend to focus on the whole problem for the photographer, not just workflow and not just editing, but the whole workflow including both. Certainly, there are many graphics professionals that do primarily image editing, but they seem to be focusing on the photographer without addressing the photographic workflow.

But at the same time, not focused on professionals... the whole using the GPU to render your image bit kind says as much. Of course now I'm drawing a total blank on where we were debating that issue here on dgrin, and search isn't helping much.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/