Options

Major News/Hint regarding a 'Pro' level Sony camera???

nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
edited March 8, 2005 in Cameras
Hello All,

This may be some Major News/Hint regarding a 'Pro' level Sony camera.

On a previous post I reported the following:

......On SonyStyle......Digital Cameras... "directly under the category name 'Cyber-Shot
Enthusiats' Sony writes "Our most powerful cameras'.
This would mean they leveled off in their product line
and no F-828 replacement nor Dslr is in the works. "

My report was only a couple of days ago.

Today I checked out Sonystyle and when you now click on their Tab labled 'Digital Cameras'

you see the following:

"Cyber-shot - Enthusiast
Powerful cameras with advanced optics and controls. "

They removed the 'Our most powerful cameras' statement. Replacing it with 'Powerful cameras...'

I read this as a clear indication that they corrected their language to have a proper place for a camera that will be more than an 'Enthusiast' camera.

I find this quite interesting and promising.

What is your take on this?

Regards, Nicholas http://www.nickphoto123.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    So this is what they mean by 'reading the tea leaves.' eek7.gif

You didn't, by any chance, analayze Pravda for the CIA during the Cold War, did you? naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    So this is what they mean by 'reading the tea leaves.' eek7.gif

You didn't, by any chance, analayze Pravda for the CIA during the Cold War, did you? naughty.gif
    Sid, There continue to be rumors that Sony plans to introduce a DSLR, but no real evidence beyond rumors that I am aware of. They do make the chips for several of the DSLRs of course, and they seem to have the optical knowledge to be a formidable presence in the DSLR area. Who knows?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    What I dont get is.....ok so lets say Sony releases this Dslr. Whos gonna be the ginney pig? Who wants to spend all this money on a camera and new lenes to find out that Sony has released in haste. If I am going to plunk out a couple of G's then I am going to buy a name that has built these things before. I agree that there seems to be some things changing that make you think that they are setting things up for a release.

Oh well....wait and see I guess.

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    Nope.
    I think you're reading waaaaay too much into their changes. More than likely, they're just exiting the high end. 939? DSLR? They would be nuts to try this again.

Nick, as much as I too, had hoped for more advanced product out of Sony, much has transpired over the past 18 months. We all know this, but let's take a reality check...

• The D'Rebel cams have outsold the F-series by such a huge margin, knocking the 828 off the shelves permanantly at hundreds of stores. The full features of this catagory of DSLR is a real tough nut for a company like Sony to break into, much less sell for a profit.

• Not much happening in other 8+MPXL consumer cams (the 2/3" sensor variety) by anybody else, either. They are all hurting due to cheap(er) DSLR's on the market.

• Not much excitement in the 4/3'rds arena either. Ask a camera store owner how they're selling. I have. They laugh when the question comes up. Not officially a disaster just yet, but I think that Panasonic and the others (including Sony) are on the sidelines to see if Olympus can make anything of this odd catagory. If the size/weight form-factor is any indication, not to mention the costs of their systems vs. the new 350D, then it looks real dim for 4/3'rds.

• Sony has been concentrating ever more on their $200-$450 level regular consumer silver photo bricks.

• Sony has had a terrible time making money on electronic goods of recent months. They'll be looking to cut models and SKU's out of their lineups, and firm up the product catagories that are making money. The 828, as good as it was in its day, I just can't imagine it was a money-maker for them. This kind of sliding-down record doesn't bode well for continuous F-model or more upscale camera production dollars (or yen).

• New Sony CEO just announced. Changes ahead. Profit will be his battle cry.

• Increased consolidation within the industry, which was driven by overproduction of consumer cams in the past few years. You'll see more and more companies bow gracefully out of this cut-throat market in short order.

• Canon is on a roll. Sony isn't.

• The 828 has hurt them as much as helped them. They proved that they were almost up to the high-end game, but it got panned by so many reviewers, that Sony's reputation was seriously bruised.

• Joe Camera Store owner is not going to carry any Sony high-end cameras again. When the 8's are moved out of their inventories, that's it. If Best Buy, Comp USA, and the rest of the big stores are down on Sony >$600 cams, then I really seriously doubt their buyers are going to shovel big money towards Sony high-end cams again; the D'Rebs are catagory killers.

If the STF forum at DPReview is any indication, their biggest supporters have all about jumped off the ship. They're got their Canons and Nikons now. And they are here showing off their D70's and 20D shots! Pretty difficult to win them back at this point.

And if you think me as anti-Sony, I'm not. I shoot with one right now. I've had several. I'd be proud to own a used 828 for its macro and IR shot capability, along with toting a 20D, which I have already saved up to purchase.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    blah blah blah blah it's all good stuff....

listen to david nod.gif

99 posts? holy moly, yer startin' to monopolize things here, you better quiet down..... lol3.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I don't know. I mean I have seen some great shots taken by Sony camera's. Andy's and others here on the forum. But my first digital camera I used was a Mavica (we still have one at work (which is why I bring my own equipment)) and after using those Mavica's I don't think I could ever really get into using a sony camera ever again. I love my canon's, and (shh don't tell andy he will change my room assignment at yosemite so I wont get to share a room with marc) I am even slightly fond of nikon's. And of course who wouldn't love a Hassy with a digital back. I just don't think a Sony digicam would ever be one of my top ten choices even of what I would want to shoot with. Mavica's :sick .
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Major News/Hint regarding a 'Pro' level camera.
    As a Sony F-828 user, it is the best camera I have ever used. Film or Digital.

This is based on all the moments that I have been able to capture with my F-828 since I bought it in Dember 2003. These moments would not have been captured by my D30, D60, Mamiya 645, Bronica SQ, etc.

Only the Olympus 8mp was rated higher than the F-828 on DPreview, but it has focusing issues. So does the Canon and Nikon 8 mp cameras.
    No camera I have ever used focuses as surely as the F-828.

If you can not be sure on focusing, you aren't holding a camera, IMHO.

The F-828 is far from perfect but is a highly productive as a photographic tool.

Luminous Landscape favorably compares the lens on the F-828 with Canon Pro 'L' lenses. Read their review.

I am just trying to set staight some comments made by non-users.

The best camera is what works for you.

My post relates to the possibility that Sony is going to announce a higher end camera than those in their 'Enthusiast' category, based on changes on their web site. (which is all we have to go on at the moment).

It will be worth watching. Glad I sparked some comments on this issue.

Regards, Nicholas www.nickphoto123.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    I agree with David
    I believe Sony is bowing out of the high end. The 828 will remain their pinnacle camera for a very long time. Like David, I see the name change part of the realignment of their focus on the profit center of their camera business. Hopefully when they solve the current business crisis, they can delve back into the higher end.

Side point, as much as STF was my home, it is sliding, with Sony, into mediocrity. Major brain drain has just occurred there as many have had little recourse but to buy other cameras. And now that they have other cameras, they are no longer welcomed at STF. That is one reason I am glad dgrin is here. It's non-brand specific forums help keep the discussions about photography and also promote more inclusiveness. Even though I try to always post non camera specific posts over at STF, I still feel the resistance, and my posting frequency is dwindling to zero over there.
    David_S85 wrote:
    I think you're reading waaaaay too much into their changes. More than likely, they're just exiting the high end. 939? DSLR? They would be nuts to try this again.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    I believe Sony is bowing out of the high end. The 828 will remain their pinnacle camera for a very long time. Like David, I see the name change part of the realignment of their focus on the profit center of their camera business. Hopefully when they solve the current business crisis, they can delve back into the higher end.

Side point, as much as STF was my home, it is sliding, with Sony, into mediocrity. Major brain drain has just occurred there as many have had little recourse but to buy other cameras. And now that they have other cameras, they are no longer welcomed at STF. That is one reason I am glad dgrin is here. It's non-brand specific forums help keep the discussions about photography and also promote more inclusiveness. Even though I try to always post non camera specific posts over at STF, I still feel the resistance, and my posting frequency is dwindling to zero over there.
    Hi Shay,

15524779-Ti.gifwith you about Sony. The release of the digital Rebel really cut into the profitability of high end fixed lens cameras.

I too am posting less and less on STF these days. The malaise is not confined to STF either. The Nikon DSLR board at DPR got so bad that many of its best folks formed their own Nikon forum away from DPR.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Although I'm happy enough right now with my Sony DSC-F828, I probably will only replace this with an all-in-one if that is about Leica M sized, has a 28-90 lens, and can handle available light pictures (almost) as good as a DSLR. It would be a great street tool, but I think I'm wishing for the impossible. Although... on the Leica Digital Forum Sean Reid did implicate that in spite of Leica's financial trouble, a Digital M would still be on its way for a 2006 release. Will probably cost an arm and a leg though...

Therefor if I'd be buying today to replace my 828, the 20D or D70 with a nice starter set of lenses would have the vote of my wallet. I just feel more confident in the Canon/Nikon solutions right now when it comes to a system to rely on yet another system (including Minolta) to take off. And knowing Sony a bit, I just know they'll add the proprietary strangeness to an almost perfect mix.
    enjoy being here while getting there