Options

Early Lomographic Attempt?

NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited November 11, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Hi Folks:

In a silly mood here, but this is a picture I designed and took a long time ago when I was about 15. It was taken, if I recall correctly, with a fairly disposable camera -- that is, not my SRT-201 or anything better, as a series of quick in the moment snapshots. I scanned it a long time ago, and recently found it again in a folder full of old images. My sister and I (the girl in the photo) figured we wanted to set up a series of quick pics for fun, and I took this one, and she took a few other goofy ones of me, etc. We also took pics of anything around where we lived. I think we were partly inspired by the French Academy next door to us that showed old Cinema Verite type films. That, or by old martial arts movies!

219195041-M.jpg

To be sure, this is not what I would call great photography, but what fun! At 15 photography was discovering a world of excitement, and everything became fodder for the photographic imagination. Here's the same one seeking to capture an older cinema look:

219194649-M.jpg

Thanks for looking, and any thoughts!

N
Exposure Latitude(s).com
"The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I like the original. And I think it would be cool to find a way to make new images look like that.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Nacho wrote:
    Hi Folks:

In a silly mood here, but this is a picture I designed and took a long time ago when I was about 15. It was taken, if I recall correctly, with a fairly disposable camera -- that is, not my SRT-201 or anything better, as a series of quick in the moment snapshots. I scanned it a long time ago, and recently found it again in a folder full of old images. My sister and I (the girl in the photo) figured we wanted to set up a series of quick pics for fun, and I took this one, and she took a few other goofy ones of me, etc. We also took pics of anything around where we lived. I think we were partly inspired by the French Academy next door to us that showed old Cinema Verite type films. That, or by old martial arts movies!

To be sure, this is not what I would call great photography, but what fun! At 15 photography was discovering a world of excitement, and everything became fodder for the photographic imagination. Here's the same one seeking to capture an older cinema look:

Thanks for looking, and any thoughts!

N

Ohhhhhh love the hair do :D that sorta shows the shot is older.
    So it's all acting? no one got hurt ??

I prefer the orginal version of the image too thumb.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Yeah, that hairdo was something else on her. No, no one got hurt, except that cement block as we hit it with a hammer to split it just right! Then it was a matter of posing and capturing her in just the right expression. Again, it was all so much fun. I;ll be getting a disposable just to play with my son doing "lomography" like that. And I have my eyes on a Holga for just that kind of photographic play also!

Thanks!
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Well ya managed to make me look up Lomographic.
    I was wondering what the heck that was. Not so clueless now. Thanks :D

Watched a fellow do this magic trick the other day and wondered of course
    how the heck he pulled it off. Is she really breaking that block or did you pull some cool trickery off? Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I like the original. And I think it would be cool to find a way to make new images look like that.

Here's one person's answer:
    http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/06/11/photoshop-lomography-photo-action/
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

OpikVerve makes a Photoshop plugin that has a "60s setting". That, with some tweaks, and maybe in combination with some gaussian blur and curves may well recreate this effect.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Interesting topic. Cool links to effects plugins.
    There I was spending time trying to correct a "failed shot" only to find it
    may in fact be useful as is or close to it. I guess I should stop being
    astounded by how little I know. :D Michael
    Michael