sub-sub catagory ?

topher04r1topher04r1 Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited November 10, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I need more ways to seperate my photo's ..... for example i have

Motocross

Pima Motorsports park

and

TEST

But i can not seperate out my photo's more..... i would like one more level of orgiznation as to devide riders by classes........ any ideas ?:scratch

Comments

• TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Use the "final" or "lowest" gallery as a jumping off point. Set it up in journal style, and then have the pictures or quotations as links to additional galleries.

Here's an example with the picture captions as links to other places.
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    topher04r1 wrote:
    I need more ways to seperate my photo's ..... for example i have

Motocross

Pima Motorsports park

and

TEST

But i can not seperate out my photo's more..... i would like one more level of orgiznation as to devide riders by classes........ any ideas ?headscratch.gif

You can also use keywords to provide the organization by rider. This can let the same gallery of photos be presented by event or by rider.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • topher04r1topher04r1 Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    You can also use keywords to provide the organization by rider. This can let the same gallery of photos be presented by event or by rider.

Thats a great idea but i need simple.... my customers dont usually have the time to search ... they want to find there photo's fast and buy ....headscratch.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    topher04r1 wrote:
    Thats a great idea but i need simple.... my customers dont usually have the time to search ... they want to find there photo's fast and buy ....headscratch.gif

No searching required for your users. There is a URL that uniquely identifies all the images in your galleries that match a particular keyword(s). You can preconstruct those URLs and present them to your users to click on by modifying one of your pages and adding custom HTML. You could even make it look like a sub-sub-category if you wanted where there was a thumbnail of each person and when they clicked on it they got all the images with their keyword on them in a gallery style view. I'm sure there has been much discussion of this concept before here so searching for the right thing at dgrin will probably result in some examples and further discussion of the topic.

If you don't want to customize and build it yourself, then you'll either have to double upload so you can present it both ways, redesign your gallery categorization to not need the extra level or wait until Smugmug makes virtual galleries possible without customization (I have no idea when/if that will happen). The few times I've thought I need more category levels, I've always found a way to flatten the levels a bit without any inconvenience to my viewers and, in fact, with a result that saves them clicks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question