Question about the Hit Counter.

mafotografixmafotografix Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited December 22, 2007 in SmugMug Support
How does the counter really work? What do the numbers actually represent for each gallery?

I'm asking this because the numbers I'm seeing just seem too good to be true.

I just created a gallery on Sunday. Its been about 5 days now and I have 32 photos in this gallery - http://www.mafotografix.com/gallery/3766352#218916090

Is is a local event but 40,000 over hits in 6 days just for this one gallery (looking at the detailed stat charts)?

That's an average of 6700 gallery hits a day, or 210 hits per photo a day, wow!

If I charged just 1 cent a click/hit, I could buy all the cameras on my wish list easily.

While I like to think that my photos are that popular, I can't help but also be suspicious that the figures are not a true reflection of the number of visitors.

Can someone at Smugmug please explain to me how the counter works and bring me back down to earth?

Thank you.

Mike

www.mafotografix.com

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Hi Mike wave.gif

The number of hits, always seems more than it is in real life.
    Each photo (from the smallest thumb, to the Original) is counted as a 'hit', the moment it is loaded.

So, let's say you open a 'SmugMug' style page (15 thumbs on the left, 1 big on on the right) 16 hits are added. Have a gallery with 120 photos, that you open in 'all thumbs' style? 120 hits are added. And that is without even going through the photos. Also, whenever you (as account owner) are looking at the images, hits are added as well.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I am bursting your bubble a bit, sorry. Have a look here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/acctreport for more details.

If you want to get a better idea of who visits your pages, and how many photos they look at, times, etc, try adding a Statcounter or Google Analytics to a Power or Pro account deal.gif

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • mafotografixmafotografix Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Thanks.

OK, I'll definately check out those counters. Cheers!
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Mike wave.gif

The number of hits, always seems more than it is in real life.
    Each photo (from the smallest thumb, to the Original) is counted as a 'hit', the moment it is loaded.

So, let's say you open a 'SmugMug' style page (15 thumbs on the left, 1 big on on the right) 16 hits are added. Have a gallery with 120 photos, that you open in 'all thumbs' style? 120 hits are added. And that is without even going through the photos. Also, whenever you (as account owner) are looking at the images, hits are added as well.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I am bursting your bubble a bit, sorry. Have a look here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/acctreport for more details.

If you want to get a better idea of who visits your pages, and how many photos they look at, times, etc, try adding a Statcounter or Google Analytics to a Power or Pro account deal.gif

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • canonrtcanonrt Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Speaking of counting
    On my site: http://bridgemen.smugmug.com/

I like to display the count of the amount of pictures on my home page.

I get that number in the control panel/stats.

Is there a way that I can do some HTML that checks the number in the control panel/stats & automatically updates my home page?
    edited December 20, 2007
    Is anybody out there?

It's been awhile & no help on the question!

Hello?
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 21, 2007
    canonrt wrote:
    Is anybody out there?

It's been awhile & no help on the question!

Hello?

I think the silence means that we don't know how to do that. headscratch.gif
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited December 22, 2007
    Oh, OK, Thanx for the response!

If I or anybody figures that one out, please make it public!

Happy Holidays to all at Smugmug as well as all subscribers!

..................John