Portrait of my daughter...First post.

lunajenlunajen Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited November 11, 2007 in People
This is my first post.. so HI!

I took some portraits of my daughter...just used nothing more than a clip light and my 430 EX bounce off the ceiling. I did however make an "oil" out of this photos tell me what you think....I used the smudge tool in photoshop to get this effect and I texturized it for the messageboard.

And yes, I was testing the setup out so I did not iron my backdrop.

1.The Original.
CRW_7603.jpg

2. The Painting...OilpaintingCassiecopy.jpg

"Is that your way of saying I'm number one??":wink

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    That's just beautiful. I love what you did with the painting.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • lunajenlunajen Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Thanks!thumb.gif
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I like the pose, I like the expression, I think the lighting is great and the exposure is very nice.

I don't think the color of the backdrop is a good compliment to the color of her dress.

I like the normal portrait better than the painting, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Well done!
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I would crop it a bit at the top to bring her eyes to the 1/3rd point... But other than that, awesome!! thumb.gif
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Well, OK
    I think the oil's ok, but she has such gorgeous skin, why would you want to hide it. Also, I don't think the yellow dress does her skin tone any favors. I have a feeling this pretty girl is going to get real tired of you photographing her! I know she would if she were my daughter. She really speaks to the camera.iloveyou.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 10, 2007
    Hi lunajen and welcome.wave.gif I am not a big fan of radical "creative" filters in general and this is a good example of why. The original is an excellent portrait. Wonderful skin and expression, good lighting. The processed version looks flat by comparison. I would take the original, give it a square crop and call it a day.

Just my €.02

Cheers,
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 10, 2007
    the original photo is really nice-

I like the oil painting but the tone of her face is too dark or something-

if you could back off on the skin tone of her face I think the oil would work better-

just a thought-

anyway, great job and glad you're on the forum!-
  • lunajenlunajen Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Thanks for your input everyone...

Glad that you all like the original....

And Icebear...what makes you think that she isn't tired of me taking her picture now!!! I ususally have to bribe her to take some pictures.rolleyes1.gif

rsinmadrid, I actaully took 4 hours to hand paint this using the smudge tool and paint back in with the airbrush tool and all without a wacom tablet.

Glad you like...I have actually gone back in and fixed some of the parts that some have stated that were too dark..

But thanks for all the feedback. I needed it..Sorry but I had to paint one picture of my daughter...I have a BFA in Painting...photography is something I do on the side.;)
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 10, 2007
    all is well-

you live in tennessee-
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Just three comments:
    • 15524779-Ti.gif with Andi, crop some off the top
    • Move your model a little futher from the background and/or open you lens a bit more to throw the background a little more OOF
    • The work you did converting it to "oil" - well done.