Options

AI Press / IFPO / Today's Photographer Magazine

J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited March 10, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Anyone a member of IFPO and have any advice, good or bad about them? From what I can tell, they seem like a legitimate company and business tailored to freelance photographers and the like. They offer for members a Universal Press Pass credentialing package where you pay anywhere from $200 to $70 for an apparent press kit that allows you to work under them as a freelance photographer. You then need to individually contact PR people for specific events for entry or you can use their press pass for freelance / fire / police events for entry. I am a member of them, and basically just receive a magazine 4x a year but was conidering their press package for my freelance news work. With all the identity theft nowadays, I was wondering how secure and legitimate they are since you can fill out all your personal info online and submit a mug shot of yourself for the press pass. Anyone have any thoughts about them, thanks.
John "J.T."
http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    I have come across their site in the past and would also be interested in knowing if the press pass is worth anything.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    "Press passes" don't get you into anything on their own. You'll need to be a working member of the media and contact the PR folks in advance. You'll need to actually work at a media outlet that they've heard about in most cases.

I'm talking things like big name concerts, presidential candidates speaking-- that kind of thing-- if you hope to get on the press podium or special access.

BTW: I'm a working media (t.v., radio, and now the web) professional with 13 years on the job experience. My press or media credentials get me into nothing. It's the phone calls before hand and the contacts and media outlet I work for that gets me in to events. Honestly, once you get clearance to a big event, they issue their own creditials and don't even look at yours. For something like a presidential visit, your state issued DL (and prior SS clearance) is more important than any press pass.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    After looking at their website and magazine they seemed more focused on selling anything to you, instruction videos, business cards, etc.

Like dogwood said IFPO's pass won't get you in places, but I am not sure if you called the media contact for a event if being a IFPO member would or wouldn't get you credentialed for the event. That is the more important question.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Good information to know, thanks for your input!
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Options
    BrazilleroBrazillero Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2010
    Ifpo
    dogwood wrote:
    "Press passes" don't get you into anything on their own. You'll need to be a working member of the media and contact the PR folks in advance. You'll need to actually work at a media outlet that they've heard about in most cases.

I'm talking things like big name concerts, presidential candidates speaking-- that kind of thing-- if you hope to get on the press podium or special access.

BTW: I'm a working media (t.v., radio, and now the web) professional with 13 years on the job experience. My press or media credentials get me into nothing. It's the phone calls before hand and the contacts and media outlet I work for that gets me in to events. Honestly, once you get clearance to a big event, they issue their own creditials and don't even look at yours. For something like a presidential visit, your state issued DL (and prior SS clearance) is more important than any press pass.

I agree with Dogwood. There is no such thing as Universal Credentials. Each event issues their own and don't even look at yours. Most citues also require a Press Pass from the local Police Dept. to access local news events and for this you need to really be involved in Freelance News Coverage or they won't issue. The phone calls you make ahead of time is what really counts. The problem is that if you don't already work for reputable News organization they won't even talk to you. And you can't work for a News organization without the experience so is a catch 22. By the way, I am (regretably) a member of IFPO and all is has done is cost me money. I haven't been able to gain access to anything!! So stay awway!!!
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    I would personally say if you want to shoot freelance newspaper work, then contact your local small town newspaper. Smaller towns always consider hiring stringers, or freelancers to do work for them. Pay is not all that great but it does get you into many events for free. I used to shoot highschool football games for my local paper and I was standing right there on the sidlines with the players at every game.

I was a "Lifetime" member of the IFPO back in the 90's and about 3 years into my "Lifetime" membership I was asked to pay for another membership upgrade. Their excuse was they were redoing their member database and assigning everyone a new ID number. They wouldn't just assign me a new number, I had to pay for an additional "lifetime" membership. Not feeling that I should have to pay every once in a while for what they claim is a "lifetime" member, I didn't do it. Shortly there after, I stopped receiving all the benefits that my "lifetime" membership afforded me.

In my opinion, I'd say look for something else.

I also saw that they offered "Master Photographer" certificates. Let me say this. 1. A certificate does not afford you the title of "master", you talents and knowedge does. 2. You could buy the certificate without ever having to show a portfolio of your work to anyone to review. What merit does this certificate hold if no one has ever reviewed your work?

Just my thoughts, thought.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout