Newbie w/ some questions

toofasttoofast Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited November 12, 2007 in Holy Macro
Hey everyone,

I've had a point and shoot digital for a long time and I just bought a used Nikon D40x with a Nikkor AF-S 18-135mm lens. I should get it Wednesday :)

I'm really interested in macro photography. What really interests me is close up on insects. Like when you can see the little bumps in a flys eye...

I would to keep it under $500 for a dedicated micro lens that can get me as close as possible. I've been searching the forum and have read that the micro lens' can block out light so you might need a new flash?

Any suggestions or links would be much appreciated! Hopefully I'll be posting some pics here soon! Thanks, Steve.
Nikon D40x -- AF-S Nikkor 18-135mm

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    toofast wrote:
    Hey everyone,

I've had a point and shoot digital for a long time and I just bought a used Nikon D40x with a Nikkor AF-S 18-135mm lens. I should get it Wednesday :)

I'm really interested in macro photography. What really interests me is close up on insects. Like when you can see the little bumps in a flys eye...

I would to keep it under $500 for a dedicated micro lens that can get me as close as possible. I've been searching the forum and have read that the micro lens' can block out light so you might need a new flash?

Any suggestions or links would be much appreciated! Hopefully I'll be posting some pics here soon! Thanks, Steve.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Dgrin forum :D

When you are attempting to do extreme MACRO's light is your very best friend indeed.

The further you can get away from your subject the more light is able to get between your camera and the bug.

Using a flash will also allow for a greater DOF.

You can do MACRO without a flash, but you will achieve better results using a Diffused Flash.

Another thing to remember is that you can use Extension Tubes
    to help you get closer to your subject.

Extention tubes are hollow and light and work on almost all lenses.

All the best for your new gear when you get it.
    Looking forward to seeing your work, enjoy the forums thumb.gif

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • toofasttoofast Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    I've read about the extension tubes but I'm not sure that's the path I want to travel. Will those give me the results I'm looking for (extreme macro)? From what I've read, a dedicated macro lens would be best but is there a good one in my price range ($500)? If I'm wrong about the extension tubes, let me know what one you would recommend, same with the macro lens :)

I was reading that the Nikon SB-400 is a good flash, would it be good for macro photography with a flash tube?

Will you get a sharper macro photo closer to the subject or further, with the appropriate lens of course. Or is it the same?

Thanks again!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    To get good eye definition on a fly you need a good macro lens around 100mm (Tamron 90 and sigma 105 are good alternatives) and you will need extension tubes (Kenko set) as you need to be shooting around 1.5:1 to 2:1. You are also likely to need a flash gun probably best mounted off camera on a bracket which allows you to get the flash head near the end of the lens.
    Brian V.
    edited November 10, 2007
    Brian,

Your shots made me want to get into the macro scene even more!! Great job!

Could you please post some links of the lens', extension tubes, and flash that would work with my Nikon d40x? I'm new to all the different lens' and don't really know how to distinguish them... Is there specific things to look for when buying a used lens?

Thanks again for trying to help everyone!
    edited November 10, 2007
    So would the[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] 105mm f/2.8D AF Micro Nikkor be a good lens for up close macro? The working distance is only 7". Seems kinda close for insects... If it is a good lens for macro, what would be a good extension tube and flash gun?
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    toofast wrote:
    So would the[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] 105mm f/2.8D AF Micro Nikkor be a good lens for up close macro? The working distance is only 7". Seems kinda close for insects... If it is a good lens for macro, what would be a good extension tube and flash gun?
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

Yes would be a good lens - Don't bother with the VR one you have to turn it off for closeups. A set of Nikon fit kenko extension tubes would be good. Don't know about the nikon range of flash guns but as long as it's ttl compatible, can move for bounce operation it should be fine- does not have to be too powerful.

Brian V.
    edited November 12, 2007
    Thank you, I'll post some shots when I get it wings.gif
  • Phil_LPhil_L Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    toofast wrote:
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

The lens is a very good macro lens.

If you dont mean the Nikkor AF-S 105 f2.8 VR then you should be aware that the AF 105mm f/2.8D can't autofocus on the D40x, since the camera is without a focusing motor and the lens, unlike your AF-S 18-55, without a hyperosonic focusing motor (designated by the -S).

This dosent really matter for macro since manual focusing is the common mode of focusing.
    It may spoil the lens for you as a general short telephoto though, if you arent willing to focus manually (not a biggie except for sports).

I suspect that Brian is unaware of this issue since he uses equipment from Canon.

The only macro that will autofocus on the camera, afaik, is the Sigma 150 f2.8.
    I have that lens and it is very good, even if I cant do it justice!

The SB400, 600 or 800 are probably all good for macro.
    Cavaet, I am not familiar with the SB400.
    Check out the SC29 remote flash cable to get the flash off the camera for better pleasing lighting.

hth
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Flat Field
    Another point to consider is the 'flat field' lens. (I believe Canon has an EF-S macro that's flat field?)

Most lenses focus a curved field to reflect the way your eyes see. (So the focus on the edges of the frame is at the same distance as the center.)

For the macro world (and copy work) it's nice to have a flat field lens because the curve becomes a problem in the close-focus world. (The edges of the subject are actually further from the film plane than the centre is, so if you're using a curved field lens and a very shallow depth of focus, you get soft edges.

In the days of fully manual lenses and bellows extensions you could mount lenses backwards, thus making them both close focus AND flat field.

Another neat trick is to use and enlarger lens -- if you can get a mount. They are designed to be flat field and there are some very cheap ones out there on the used market.

thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Too Fast,

I have the D40x as well and just ordered the sigma 105mm. I have the sb-400 and recently got sc28 flash cord. The flash bracket is on the way and I made the home diffuser for the flash as detailed in the macro stickies above.

I'll let you know how it all turns out in a few days!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited November 12, 2007
    Thanks for the info guys! I should get my camera in two days clap.gif