Problem staying logged in.

pathpath Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited November 10, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Ok... this is getting real frustrating. I log in, click on control panel and now I am logged off?!!! Or I log in, actually get to control panel and click save...and I am logged off without anything being saved. This happens randomly but often enough that I sometimes have to log in 10 times before I can accomplish anything. So, is there a secret that I am missing? I am ready to throw the keyboard out the window or do some other drastic thing that I know I will be sorry for.

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    path wrote:
    Ok... this is getting real frustrating. I log in, click on control panel and now I am logged off?!!! Or I log in, actually get to control panel and click save...and I am logged off without anything being saved. This happens randomly but often enough that I sometimes have to log in 10 times before I can accomplish anything. So, is there a secret that I am missing? I am ready to throw the keyboard out the window or do some other drastic thing that I know I will be sorry for.
    Hi Path,

Make sure you are always using path.smugmug.com and not www.hormellphotos.com when you are logging in/out and using the control panel. See: http://www.smugmug.com/help/acctlogin

I hope this helps.
  • pathpath Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Still not working....
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Path,

Make sure you are always using path.smugmug.com and not www.hormellphotos.com when you are logging in/out and using the control panel. See: http://www.smugmug.com/help/acctlogin

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Ivar, but it is still not working.... in fact it is worse. I have never logged in as anything but my nickname. I did read the link you provided (had read it previously).

I can't edit or check anything, because no matter what button I click on it logs me out. I am on Verizon DSL, not a dialup. My computer is fairly new and has plenty of power. I was having trouble with the slideshow not showing up and received help on that issue, fixed it and it works. I am at a loss as to how I can check anything. Back in a second....................

...........Ok, just for kicks I brought up Firefox and everything works there, and it was already logged in. Logged out and went back to IE, it appears to be working now. Hooray! I think I fixed my own problem. :D Jeesh, I think computers are trying to drive me crazy... or crazier!
  • aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    path wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Ivar, but it is still not working.... in fact it is worse. I have never logged in as anything but my nickname. I did read the link you provided (had read it previously).

I can't edit or check anything, because no matter what button I click on it logs me out. I am on Verizon DSL, not a dialup. My computer is fairly new and has plenty of power. I was having trouble with the slideshow not showing up and received help on that issue, fixed it and it works. I am at a loss as to how I can check anything. Back in a second....................

...........Ok, just for kicks I brought up Firefox and everything works there, and it was already logged in. Logged out and went back to IE, it appears to be working now. Hooray! I think I fixed my own problem. :D Jeesh, I think computers are trying to drive me crazy... or crazier!

I was having the same problem a week ago. It seemed to only happen when I was playing around with the flash slideshow hack I read on the customization faq. I wasn't ready for a slideshow, so I commented out the code and the problem went away. I just assumed I did something wrong with my setup...
  • MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    path wrote:

I have also been having this problem.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Montec wrote:
    I have also been having this problem.
    And did you do what Ivar said above? ear.gif
    If you still have problems, please fire an email with the details to our Support Heroes

Thanks!
    edited November 10, 2007
    I had 2-browsers open
    Like the title says, I had two browsers open so that I could look at the screen logged in and logged out. I was logged into IE and then opened Firefox. Firefox seemed to recognize that I was already logged in and came up logged in also. The problem went away when I logged out of Firefox and closed it. I believe having both browsers logged in caused the problem.

Just thought I would explain a little further so maybe it would help someone else in the future. I think it was only a coincidence that I had a problem with the slidewhow around this time. From now on I will make double sure that both browsers are not logged in at the same time.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    path wrote:
    Like the title says, I had two browsers open so that I could look at the screen logged in and logged out. I was logged into IE and then opened Firefox. Firefox seemed to recognize that I was already logged in and came up logged in also. The problem went away when I logged out of Firefox and closed it. I believe having both browsers logged in caused the problem.

Just thought I would explain a little further so maybe it would help someone else in the future. I think it was only a coincidence that I had a problem with the slidewhow around this time. From now on I will make double sure that both browsers are not logged in at the same time.

This is odd. The two browsers on your PC are completely independent from one another. The only ways they would not be indepedent of one another is if you have internet acceleration software on your PC that might be doing some of it's own caching, internet safety software on your PC that might be doing some messing with the web content, your own firewall or router that does caching or content management or if your ISP has some poorly implemented caching software.

Many of us routinely use multiple browsers logged into Smugmug and have never, ever had this problem. I'm glad this problem had gone away for you, but if you ever need to get to the bottom of it for other reasons, it's probably related to one of the things I mentioned above.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited November 10, 2007
    More info
    jfriend wrote:
    This is odd. The two browsers on your PC are completely independent from one another. The only ways they would not be indepedent of one another is if you have internet acceleration software on your PC that might be doing some of it's own caching, internet safety software on your PC that might be doing some messing with the web content, your own firewall or router that does caching or content management or if your ISP has some poorly implemented caching software.

Many of us routinely use multiple browsers logged into Smugmug and have never, ever had this problem. I'm glad this problem had gone away for you, but if you ever need to get to the bottom of it for other reasons, it's probably related to one of the things I mentioned above.

My ISP is Verizon which uses a router and my connection to the router is through a Linkless wireless The router has a firewall and I use Kerio Personal Firewall on my PC. The WiFi connection is encrypted. This is the first time I have used Firefox on this computer. I clear everything out of IE every night (cookies - except for the ones I want to keep, temporary files, etc.) I have never installed internet acceleration software on my computer, but I don't know what the router has since it came from Verizon. It is not the fastest DSL, but much, much better than dial-up.

Thanks for the help.
  • MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    And did you do what Ivar said above? ear.gif
    If you still have problems, please fire an email with the details to our Support Heroes

Thanks!

I have never had a problem with logging in to SM and staying logged in. This just began yesterday. I actually had trouble logging in with my password so I had to reset it and create a new one yesterday. Everything has been fine today.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • cerevisiacerevisia Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Yep got the same problem. Takes 4 or 5 tries to get in and some times when I’m in and click the customize button I get dumped back out. Will e-mail support. If they’re half of the support I’ve been getting here I know this will be taken care of. Support here has been great.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Brian<o:p></o:p>