Options

Soft-proofing help

aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
edited November 11, 2007 in Finishing School
I calibrated my monitors using huey pro, eliminated most of the room light, and soft-proofed for my epson R1800 using icc profiles for Premium Luster and Velvet fine art. When printing I am getting a bit of a red/magenta tint on either paper (more on the luster). I thought for sure it was a couple of clogged ink-jets, but the test pattern was perfect.

I could use some help, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    aktpics wrote:
    I calibrated my monitors using huey pro, eliminated most of the room light, and soft-proofed for my epson R1800 using icc profiles for Premium Luster and Velvet fine art. When printing I am getting a bit of a red/magenta tint on either paper (more on the luster). I thought for sure it was a couple of clogged ink-jets, but the test pattern was perfect.

Its possible its the printer misbehaving or the profile doesn't accurately describe how your printer is working.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    arodney wrote:
    Its possible its the printer misbehaving or the profile doesn't accurately describe how your printer is working.
    That would suck!!!

I noticed that when I calibrated the monitor that gamma and temperature were adjustable. I leave them at their default values when calibrating (Temp D65/Gamma 2.20). Changing to Temp D50 makes it warmer and probably closer to my printer output. I also changed the Gamma to 2.40 - it seemed to take the edge off of the temperature adjustment).

Is there any downside to the changes that I made?

Thanks!
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    aktpics wrote:
    That would suck!!!

I noticed that when I calibrated the monitor that gamma and temperature were adjustable. I leave them at their default values when calibrating (Temp D65/Gamma 2.20). Changing to Temp D50 makes it warmer and probably closer to my printer output. I also changed the Gamma to 2.40 - it seemed to take the edge off of the temperature adjustment).

Is there any downside to the changes that I made?

Thanks!

You want to leave the display as close to factory default settings as possible if its an LCD (the only adjustment you have is backlight intensity). Stick with D50, a luminance of about 120-150cd/m2 and either native or a gamma of 2.2.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    arodney wrote:
    You want to leave the display as close to factory default settings as possible if its an LCD (the only adjustment you have is backlight intensity). Stick with D50, a luminance of about 120-150cd/m2 and either native or a gamma of 2.2.
    Yeah, it does look better back to D50. I guess I can go back to the old-fashioned way and look at my monitor through a magenta filter...

Thanks for your help, btw!