You guys make this sports photography look so easy...

MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited November 14, 2007 in Sports
But it's certainly not :scratch

Was coming home this morning from some errands and saw that a Junior Football game was about to start up. Went home, got my camera, and headed back to the field. So how do you guys follow action, not lop off hands, elbows, knees, and feet, and get the shots you do.

I suppose it all gets to be a little easier with practice, but you guys are Pretty inspiring to us start-ups. Thanks! :clap

219648097-L-1.jpg

219648514-L-1.jpg

219649044-L-1.jpg

219649029-L-1.jpg

219649606-L-1.jpg

219649613-L-1.jpg

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    You did great!

I wouldn't worry about lopped off limbs. The strength of your stuff is that you have faces showing energy during an athletic move - you're nice and tight. And you have blurred backgrounds.

Ball and face and athleticism, or confrontation, are the basic requisites, IMHO. As for amputated limbs, look at how closely cropped are sports images in newspapers, magazines and online. As long as you're not missing a limb vital to your story, I don't think it matters.

For example, you could crop this one and make a stronger image.

219648514-S-1.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    I thinke you did GREAT! thumb.gif I would be happy with these!:D

To borrow from Ann, shoot tight, crop tighter. Most good sports photos have elements of contact, the ball (puck), faces and captures some type of action ... and hopefully with blurred background to make it pop.

Well done!
  • MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Thanks everyone. Compared to motorsports, it's amazing how much interference in the sight-lines there can be on the field during a play. Very challenging, but that's the fun part. Thanks for looking and for your comments.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    You did great. Nice colors and facial expressions. As far as capturing pictures, it just depends on what you want to get. For running plays, it's best to be a few yards down field so you can get the running back coming towards you. For defense shots, it's best to get a few yards behind the offense so the defense is coming towards you. Getting behind the defense also allows you to get some shots of the passing game as receivers have to look back towards the QB.

Just be aware of what you can capture in regards to your position on the field and be prepared for when it happens. Also be aware of the situation on the field. 3rd and long usually means a pass play, and if it's crunch time, the best player will get the ball.

You can also target one player, but you do neglect the overall play. However, some of the most dramatic shots happen that way as they score the TD, cause a fumble etc. When you follow the ball, you will get those shots, but sometimes when you are taking pics it's difficult to follow the ball like that. You can keep both eyes open so you can watch the play develop.
  • DizzleDizzle Registered Users Posts: 240 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    MikeMcA² wrote:

219649606-L-1.jpg

219649613-L-1.jpg

These two are my favorites. I too am struggling to create sports shots like the ones being posted. Inspiring!

You did a great job!
    Dizzle
    DeNic Photography | Portfolio | Group Blog
    Canon 50D | 50 1.8 | 17-50 2.8 | 70-200 4L
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    You did great. Nice colors and facial expressions. As far as capturing pictures, it just depends on what you want to get. For running plays, it's best to be a few yards down field so you can get the running back coming towards you. For defense shots, it's best to get a few yards behind the offense so the defense is coming towards you. Getting behind the defense also allows you to get some shots of the passing game as receivers have to look back towards the QB.

Just be aware of what you can capture in regards to your position on the field and be prepared for when it happens. Also be aware of the situation on the field. 3rd and long usually means a pass play, and if it's crunch time, the best player will get the ball.

You can also target one player, but you do neglect the overall play. However, some of the most dramatic shots happen that way as they score the TD, cause a fumble etc. When you follow the ball, you will get those shots, but sometimes when you are taking pics it's difficult to follow the ball like that. You can keep both eyes open so you can watch the play develop.

Good post.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • wizzywizzy Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Mike,

Nice series. Number 4 is my favorite. You can almost see GUSS fall, and wanna try to catch him :)
  • MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies! It's fun trying new stuff.
  • gadams999gadams999 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies! It's fun trying new stuff.
    Very nice photos. I'd kill for light like that right now. Not much shade or cloud cover in Georgia.

220105195-L.jpg

Harsh lighting and busy backgrounds. But once in a while good plays!
  • hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    you did awesome!

If you look at SI or any other national sports publication, you will see that the only required thing to have a good "public" shot is the ball, the number and he face. that said, what pleases your eye is what matters IMO. There is no way I can make a living shooting, but if I sell a few shots here and there to support my habit and get one or 2 really good shots a game, I am happy.

The main thing is take a ton of shots often.
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EF IS 28-135mm f/3.2-5.6
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Football photos
    Great job Mike. I think you hit the "sell" button with the facial expressions. Priceless!
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com