Train in color & B&W

HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited November 11, 2007 in Landscapes
I have two versions of an old train and engine I shot at the Plumas Train Museum in Plumas California a few weeks ago. Both were heavily processed in PSCS3 and I then convert to B&W as well.

I wanted to get opinions and critiques from dgrinners and would also like to see what folks think about the two versions.
All thoughts greatly appreciated.

- Mick

Color Version

219665676-M.jpg

Black & White

219666370-M.jpg

Comments

• JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Mick,
    I like these train shots. The color is a little over saturated, maybe. Over saturation can be it's own reward. It seems that the conversion to web graphics loses the positive look that over saturation gives, just leaves the bad part.

It looks to me as if this was taken around noon, not the best time for photos. The bright sun straight up washes out the texture and shading that can make a photo like this really stand out. I know, I take lots of bad pics in the middle of the day. The shadow areas look totally black, detail has been lost. I think less, warmer, angled, late afternoon light might just be the ticket.

There seems to be a slight lens distortion of the front of the locomotive that is funny. Try the lens correction filter in PS.

As for the black and white, it's boring. try a channel mixer layer, or theshold layer.

Keep working on it. Its a great subject that wants you to capture it.
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    hey.

The first one feels a bit to much, to unreal allmost. But i still like it. It reminds me of the pc game Halflife 2. The graphics on that game is close to your pic and includes similair enviroments. If its taken in daylight i don´t care so much about. You can take good photos during noon, ive seen proof on that point.

The black and white one...Im sorry but it has lost all the feeling ( just my opinion ). You miss all the good rusty details on that old train and it feels kinad flat.

Can you make a more realistic processing of that first one? dying to see!.

Keep it up. I think its good photos
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 11, 2007
    I prefer the color version, mostly because the color of the rust conveys the age better. I also think the treatment of the sky works better in color.

Cool shot.
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    JGD wrote:
    It looks to me as if this was taken around noon, not the best time for photos. The bright sun straight up washes out the texture and shading that can make a photo like this really stand out. I know, I take lots of bad pics in the middle of the day. The shadow areas look totally black, detail has been lost. I think less, warmer, angled, late afternoon light might just be the ticket.

Jim,
    Thanks for the input. It certainly was shot mid-day or there abouts, but I knew I was going to process it. Your comments did get me to go back and work on it. The version above is now that re-work, though may still not be to your liking.
    Arvan wrote:
    The first one feels a bit to much, to unreal allmost. But i still like it. It reminds me of the pc game Halflife 2. The graphics on that game is close to your pic and includes similair enviroments. If its taken in daylight i don´t care so much about. You can take good photos during noon, ive seen proof on that point.

That is pretty much what I was going for, Arvan; a somewhat overdone, unreal look, more graphic in nature. So maybe it works - for me and this one anyway. Just getting tired of the "real" look. Appreciate your comments.
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I prefer the color version, mostly because the color of the rust conveys the age better. I also think the treatment of the sky works better in color.

Cool shot.

Thanks, Richard. I was also concerned about the exagerated vignette effect, but it's growing on me. B&W just doesn't seem to work.

Appreciate your stopping by and your comments.