Options

Which is better

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited November 17, 2007 in Technique
Number 1 or Number 2 ?
1219676698-M.jpg 2 219676965-M.jpg
Their histograms go like this
1 219681132-M.jpg . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2 219681150-M.jpg

Yes. The best photo is the number number 2.
I have been reading expose right but I had never done two shots to study the matter like Michael Reichmann suggests.
I did it this afternoon and followed Michael's instructions.

Both pictures were "treated" the same way:
They were opened one by one, in raw converter from CS3, auto adjustments applied, no crop, 16 bit 200 pixel per inch, size 1536 by 1024 (1.6 mp) I don't know what that means but that's what I introduced to start with.

Then when the pictures were opened in CS3 I applied Shadows/Highlight and USM.

I want to repeat this experience another time to get really aware of the benefits of shooting to the right.
Please click on the picture for a larger view.
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 10, 2007
    Antonio, my understanding of the benefit of shooting to the right, is that you with have much lower noise levels in the shadow quarter-tones.

This really pays dividends in CS3 where the Fill slider makes it so very easy to regain shadow detail we might not have gotten so easily in previous versions of Photoshop. This is even more true of files from Point and Shoots with their smaller, nosier sensors in the shadow tones. It will have less effect in larger sensors with larger pixels, but the theory is still correct.

The secret when shooting to the right is to avoid going to far to the right, though:D

I will be interested in other reader's answers in this interesting topic concerning proper exposure.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    I personally like #1 better.

I think the detail in the shadows of the leaves and the ground under the tree are much more defined. Sometimes (to me at least) it doesn't matter what the histogram says. It matters what the shot looks like and if I'm pleased with it. (I'm sure I'm gonna get beat up on that comment though)

-Jon
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    Jim and Jon.
    Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.:D
    However, I would like to read more opinions.clap.gif

One thing I can tell you: the overall color of that moment is more like photo number 2.
    The 1.st picture has a redish/magenta cast, at least in my monitor.mwink.gif

:Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I will be interested in other reader's answers in this interesting topic concerning proper exposure.

I use two different for exposure which a call "expose to the right" and "expose for the light."

As I see it expose to the right means put the brightest detail you want to record at the right end of the historgram. Now, what you really want to do is expose to the right of the RAW histogram, but the camera doesn't show you that. What I do is set my camera to daylight WB, low saturation and sharpening and always look at the RGB histogram. Over time I have gotten a feel for how much I can blow out the JPEG histogram a bit and still recover detail in Lightroom. If I am worried (and I have the time) I put the camera on a tripod and bracket.

Expose for the light is the ambient light meter/grey card strategy. The goal is to always put 18% (or 13%) grey at the same same level. I have a variety of strategies for getting there, but my most common one is to make an initial guess and then swing the camera about the room while watching the light meter in the viewfinder to determine if I need to make adjustments. A little slower, but more accurate is to spot meter on a white card and push the exposure 1 2/3 stops--the advantage of this approach is I can then snap a shot of the white card and use it as a WB reference when converting the RAWs.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I use two different for exposure which a call "expose to the right" and "expose for the light."...

Thank you Kenn. Thank you. :Dclap.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    One thing I can tell you: the overall color of that moment is more like photo number 2.
    The 1.st picture has a redish/magenta cast, at least in my monitor.mwink.gif

Exposing to the right usually deliberately overexposing the shot (compared to nominal exposure) and then correcting for that overexposure in the RAW conversion. Exposure correction in ACR is not a perfect simulation how your camera behaves as you adjust the exposure. To get consistant color when exposing to the right, you should shoot a series of shots of a Gretag Macbeth Color Checker at different exposures (I run +-2 stops at 1/3 stop increments) and build a set of ACR presets for exposure correction which accurately reproduce the color of a properly exposed card.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Not too technical
    but the sky is most definitely better in #2.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    I should not have ever looked at these photos
    OK, did you use an auto bracketing setting? 'Cause the approaching auto only moved 2 or 3 metres between exposuresmwink.gif .

And at ISO 100, with that sky, I would have thought a "normal" shutter speed at f9 would have been in the neighboorhood of 1/100 or 1/125. Why did you start out at 1/30. I thought I understood the concept of " . . to the right" but I must notheadscratch.gif .

Sorry for two Smilies in one post
    John :
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    OK, did you use an auto bracketing setting? 'Cause the approaching auto only moved 2 or 3 metres between exposuresmwink.gif .

And at ISO 100, with that sky, I would have thought a "normal" shutter speed at f9 would have been in the neighboorhood of 1/100 or 1/125. Why did you start out at 1/30. I thought I understood the concept of " . . to the right" but I must notheadscratch.gif .

Sorry for two Smilies in one post
    Oh yeah. I was using a CPF on the lens to get a deeper sky.
    In fact it had not a very deep efect as the angle was not a good one because the Sun was low in the horizon.
    Then, when I was there, I just forgot about it because I was using a tripod.

And the photo was breaketed yes but I see nothing wronge on it ...eek7.gif

Thank you. That was a good point I have forgotten to mention. But I think it is not that important is it ?
    Anyway I want to do it again. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    It looks like those two shots have been applied a different white balance settings in post-process?!?

For me the first one has definately better contrast and character, specially on the right hand side pine trees, on the tarmac and on the road poles. Even the far left yellow flowers look better on the first one. The second one has better details on the close left hand side shadows, but that is not the main content of the photo, I suppose... so my vote goes for the first one - it just needs a bit more blue in color temp. But I have a fetish for a pop-art like contrast, and I know practically nothing of photography, soo... YMMV, IMHO etc.

Thanks for reading,
    Pexi
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
  • Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    I really like #1 the best :) The more saturated colors does it for me I think. The #2 looks more "grey" to me.
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    Pexi and Ulrik.
    Thank you for commenting these two pictures.:D
    At least one thing is clear: in spite of the shooting (to the) right or "expose for the light" as Liquidair says, the final result looks controversial at least to some extend.

Some people like best the first shot, some people like best the second one.

That's good. I have to make my own decision and I will expose to the right and to the light. That's settled, final.:D

Sometimes it is curious to know the opinion of someone who understands nothing about photography and listen what they say.

I'll ask someone I am working with.
    One opinion is for the second one.
    Another opinion is for the second.
    Yet another for the second again.

Photo number two winn ! :D
    And I did not influence the opinions. Just asked.

mwink.gif:Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    No, nothing wrong
    I am too analytical. Just trying to figure out all the silly little detailsrolleyes1.gif
    John :
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    Looking at the proecess you followed, the different WB is probably due to the auto correction process in ACR. As a base line test, what you really want to do is make sure that all the settings in ACR are the same except the exposure setting. Given that there is a two stops difference between your exposures, there should be a two stop difference between the exposure setting in ACR.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Looking at the proecess you followed, the different WB is probably due to the auto correction process in ACR. As a base line test, what you really want to do is make sure that all the settings in ACR are the same except the exposure setting. Given that there is a two stops difference between your exposures, there should be a two stop difference between the exposure setting in ACR.

This evening ! :D
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    This evening ! :D

Kenn, I am sorry. I don't have the raw files anymore.
    I erase them/dam. :cry

Tomorrow, I am consultant for a project and I will be in Lisbon.

I hope to be able to repeat the experience and I will post in the evening. Promise.

If I ever can't keep my promise, I will do it any other day, that is for sure.:D
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Kenn.
    I had some other shots which are from the same location, place and time.

But I have a serious doubt
    Shot number 4621 is f/7.1 - 1/200 (-)0.33
    Shot number 4622 is f/7.1 - 1/125 (+)0.33

I have opened both, one at the time, in ACR with the Default settings, curve Linear.

You are sugesting that I have to make a compensation of 2 stop difference.

Does it mean that I have to set the Aperture in ACR to (-) 0.20 on the second picture number 4622 ?

I post here the photos which were opened without any Aperture compensation at all, which is NOT you told me to do.

4621 221152460-S.jpg 4622 221152677-S.jpg

Sorry ne_nau.gifDthumb.gif
  • Options
    saad alqasemsaad alqasem Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Number 2 shur :D
    10 pictures of my trip artistic City Algat 2007
    :D
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Kenn.
    I had some other shots which are from the same location, place and time.

But I have a serious doubt
    Shot number 4621 is f/7.1 - 1/200 (-)0.33
    Shot number 4622 is f/7.1 - 1/125 (+)0.33

I have opened both, one at the time, in ACR with the Default settings, curve Linear.

You are sugesting that I have to make a compensation of 2 stop difference.

Does it mean that I have to set the Aperture in ACR to (-) 0.20 on the second picture number 4622 ?

I post here the photos which were opened without any Aperture compensation at all, which is NOT you told me to do.

If I read your original post right, one of the two images was at 1/8s and the other was at 1/30s which is two stops difference in exposure, but I may have read that wrong in your post. With your current pair of images the difference is 0.66, so that is the correction you should use.

With what you have done so far, with these two images 4621 looks properly exposed and 4622 is too bright which is what you expect because you deliberately overexposed 4622. Now if you use the exposure correction in ACR to lower the exposure of 4622 by 0.66 stops they should look the same except for one thing: 4622 will have more detail and less noise in the shadows because the shadows were brighter when they were captured by your sensor.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    If I read your original post right, one of the two images was at 1/8s and the other was at 1/30s which is two stops difference in exposure, but I may have read that wrong in your post. With your current pair of images the difference is 0.66, so that is the correction you should use.

With what you have done so far, with these two images 4621 looks properly exposed and 4622 is too bright which is what you expect because you deliberately overexposed 4622. Now if you use the exposure correction in ACR to lower the exposure of 4622 by 0.66 stops they should look the same except for one thing: 4622 will have more detail and less noise in the shadows because the shadows were brighter when they were captured by your sensor.

Thank you for the explanation, Kenn. bowdown.gif

The 4 pictures are all different.
    Now, I understood very well your point and later, I will post again different pictures and tests.

• Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    Number 2 shur :D

Thank you for your comment Saad :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    My understanding of the reason for shooting "to the right" is that there is more information (bits) in the "uppermost" or lighter levels:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

I tend to shoot to the right, and at times, the images appear washed out, but a simple decrease in "exposure" in LR seems to rectify this.

G
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 17, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    My understanding of the reason for shooting "to the right" is that there is more information (bits) in the "uppermost" or lighter levels:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

I tend to shoot to the right, and at times, the images appear washed out, but a simple decrease in "exposure" in LR seems to rectify this.

G
    That is correct, Glenn , and the real advantage is not in the highlight areas ( where you usually have enough bits) but in the shadows, the lower quarter tones that have more bits by being captured farther to the right, and then slide darker with the exposure slider in ARC or LR.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    That's why the new highlight recovery tools are so awesome for photographers! You can really push the envelope of your exposure and it won't take hours (or rocket science) to get it just right!