Options

How to open a JPEG in ACR from Bridge?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited November 10, 2007 in Finishing School
I normally use Bridge/ACR only for working on RAW files as I only shoot RAW. If I end up with a JPEG I want to modify, I usually just open it in Photoshop. As such, I have all the Bridge preferences set to not use ACR for JPEGs and I certainly never want ACR/Bridge to do auto-adjustments on JPEGs.

But, occasionally I want to open a specific JPEG in ACR just because some of it's adjustments are easier to use than Photoshop. Does anyone know how to do that? Once I've turned off all the preferences for manipulating JPEGs in ACR by default, they seemed to have made the Open in Camera RAW... menu item disappear from the Open With menu so I can't pick it from there. Any ideas how to open a JPEG in ACR in this circumstance?
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 10, 2007
    If you right click the image file name, I think you then get a drop down menu with a choice of which program you want to open the image, including Preview, Photoshop, RAW etc - But I think this has to be done outside of Bridge, with Finder say.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    If you right click the image file name, I think you then get a drop down menu with a choice of which program you want to open the image, including Preview, Photoshop, RAW etc - But I think this has to be done outside of Bridge, with Finder say.

I'm on Windows. When I right click in the Windows File Explorer I get a bunch of options for what to open the JPG with, but the only one related to Photoshop is called "Photoshop" and just opens it in regular Photoshop, not ACR.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    PS Prefs - FileHandling - prefer camera raw for jpgs

Also, in bridge, right click on the thumbnail, open in camera raw should be on the menu choice?

It's also in my file menu in bridge, when i have the thumnail clicked (active).

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    PS Prefs - FileHandling - prefer camera raw for jpgs

Also, in bridge, right click on the thumbnail, open in camera raw should be on the menu choice?

It's also in my file menu in bridge, when i have the thumnail clicked (active).

ne_nau.gif

Here's my problem in Bridge. I NEVER want Bridge to do auto-adjust for JPEGs. I want auto-adjust on for RAWs. I have found no way to keep Bridge from doing auto-adjust on JPGEs, but allow it for RAWs other than to turn "Prefer camera RAW for jpegs" to OFF so that's why I have it set that way. If there's a better way to get my desired configuration, then that would probably allow me to turn this option on and solve the original question that way, but I don't know how.

If I look at a whole directory of JPEGs that I just finished generating from RAWs, the last thing I want Bridge to do is to go auto-adjust them all so I have to have that off.

For some reason (probably because of the setting that does not prefer ACR for JPEGs), I do not have the option to open in Camera RAW in either the right click menu or the File menu.

Adobe could have made this very easy if they just had completely separate settings for RAW and non-RAW and if they always allowed you the option of opening in either ACR or Photoshop regardless of any of your settings.

The options I wish I had and the way I could set them are as follows:

By Default Open RAW images in ACR in:
    (o) Bridge
    ( ) Photoshop

By Default Open JPEG images in:
    ( ) ACR in Bridge
    ( ) ACR in Photoshop
    (o) Photoshop

[X] Apply auto-adjustments to RAW files in Bridge
    [ ] Apply auto-adjustments to JPGE files in Bridge

Then, I'd like a right-click menu on a JPEG that let me open it in ACR if I so chose (since this is the exception for me rather than the norm).
    --John
    HomepagePopular