help with the reshoot? Thanks!

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited November 11, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
1. Sammie I219784030-M.jpg
2. Ellie I "Green eye" or "Brown eye"219784020-M.jpg
3. Sammie II (Probably "blue eye and water")219784026-M.jpg

It would obviously have to have a different name if it were Ellie (other than Blue eye)....

Also, these were processed quickly with children crawling on my lap os I'll probably redo slightly. I noticed you can really see the lines from the beadboard and I haven't decided if I like it yet.

Thanks a TON!

(And the title isn't set in stone)

Do you like any of these enough for the contest? 9 votes

Sammie I
44% 4 votes
Ellie I (Green eye)
22% 2 votes
Sammie II ("Blue eye in water")
0% 0 votes
Keep shooting or use a different shot.
33% 3 votes

Comments

• xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    I'd like to see the original in there for comparison. I seem to remember it having more impact.
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    The original seemed stronger to me ....
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    The original was stronger. Can you give us more face (slightly) and less white space? The images are fine, it's the ratio of face to space doesn't sit well with me.

Jesse
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Thank you all for your feedback... Since it's not an overwhelming "I LOVE this image", I'm going to go with a different photo....

I just feel like I'm overthinking it too much - and no one is bonding that much to it....

I'm going to go with this one. From the last two weeks, it's my favorite for a lot of reasons. I may play with processing later, but right now I'm trying to feed the girlies! Laughing.gif!

No title yet...
    219442985-M.jpg

But I thank you all for your feedback! I actually put that photo as an option at the very last moment never thinking people would choose it. Laughing.gif!
    edited November 11, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    The original was stronger. Can you give us more face (slightly) and less white space? The images are fine, it's the ratio of face to space doesn't sit well with me.

Jesse

I think I'm going to play around with it... The problem ended up being that their faces aren't crisp and clear so cropping closer won't work as well. I'm kind of digging the white space, but most people aren't, too.

But since they aren't crisp and clear and I won't be able to reshoot (too much going on today), I'll have to play with this idea later!

Thanks for being really specific about what to do to "fix" things, though!
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Since this week' topic is 'no topic', I really suggest that you pick out some type of subject/idea that will scream out 'pick me!'. Those first 4 shots of yours were cool lets say if I was aiming to use it in some type of brochure or something, but all that white space just takes away from everything. Dead space works when there is a minute subject in the frame such as a small tree in the distance showing its size in comparison to the background or even a boat in a distance with the background showing its immense presence over the boat. A 1/4 face thing just doesn't scream wow.
    The second shot, though having a nice bokeh, has no tangible idea built in, makes a viewer ask, whats this about?

Like I said before, with these no-topic topics, you have to excel in your choice of ideas over everybody elses, because I will guarantee there were will be entries screaming 'what the heck is going on here, why did this person even put this up?' and a smaller amount of 'oh my, this really hits me'. You gotta' get something that hits you hard. Always aim for that higher-cooler photograph.

This type of topic is the best topic to go-all out in because people will have really mediocre ideas. Just pick out something that brings the best out of you and go for it! Hope this helps.
    edited November 11, 2007
    mr peas wrote:
    Since this week' topic is 'no topic', I really suggest that you pick out some type of subject/idea that will scream out 'pick me!'. Those first 4 shots of yours were cool lets say if I was aiming to use it in some type of brochure or something, but all that white space just takes away from everything. Dead space works when there is a minute subject in the frame such as a small tree in the distance showing its size in comparison to the background or even a boat in a distance with the background showing its immense presence over the boat. A 1/4 face thing just doesn't scream wow.
    The second shot, though having a nice bokeh, has no tangible idea built in, makes a viewer ask, whats this about?

Like I said before, with these no-topic topics, you have to excel in your choice of ideas over everybody elses, because I will guarantee there were will be entries screaming 'what the heck is going on here, why did this person even put this up?' and a smaller amount of 'oh my, this really hits me'. You gotta' get something that hits you hard. Always aim for that higher-cooler photograph.

This type of topic is the best topic to go-all out in because people will have really mediocre ideas. Just pick out something that brings the best out of you and go for it! Hope this helps.

Yeah, all of those reasons and more are why I won't be using any of those photos - I'm using the little boy in teh aisle at the church, as you see above... :D

For my style of photography, I don't like to "stage" things. I have a more photojounalistic style that allows things to happen - and hopefully I can see them happening and capture it. And the little boy is a perfect example - as I was shooting the wedding, I noticed the ring bearer playing in the aisle bored with the ceremony.... The timing just worked out.

But whenI try to stage things or come up with some amazing idea, it rarely happens as I want it to - and I rarely end up with the photo I see in my mind.

Thanks for your thought provoking words, mr peas!
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Yeah, all of those reasons and more are why I won't be using any of those photos - I'm using the little boy in teh aisle at the church, as you see above... :D

For my style of photography, I don't like to "stage" things. I have a more photojounalistic style that allows things to happen - and hopefully I can see them happening and capture it. And the little boy is a perfect example - as I was shooting the wedding, I noticed the ring bearer playing in the aisle bored with the ceremony.... The timing just worked out.

But whenI try to stage things or come up with some amazing idea, it rarely happens as I want it to - and I rarely end up with the photo I see in my mind.

Thanks for your thought provoking words, mr peas!

Those are usually the best fotos. thumb.gif
    But try to challenge yourself with set-up shots.
    There's always room for creative improvement.
    Wish you all the luck, can't wait to see what you find and use.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    OK, momma! Eye voted for "Ellie I "Green eye" or "Brown eye" for three reasons: 1. The hair, being darker, forms a more complete arc that meets the crop lines on the lower left and bottom. 2. The eye is looking directly at the lens. and 3. Somehow or another, the shape of the eye, the eyelash, shadowing, eyebrow, or some combination, seems to express an intensity of connection that comes through much more strongly than either of the other two... Perfect high-key concept. It's the clear winner in my view.

The current entry you have in there is a fantastic capture, but it is nothing along the lines of what you are trying to do in with the eyes. "bored" is not an intentional shot, though still fantastic. I would give you a higher ranking for the art you are trying to create with the eyes.. But, well, there's always one of those, isn't there?!

I also think you should work on this "eye" concept further, even if not for the contest... Looking forward to your explanation after the round is complete...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited November 11, 2007
    Is Ellie's name Eleanor? I have an Eleanor...
    edited November 11, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Is Ellie's name Eleanor? I have an Eleanor...

How funny! Yup! My Ellie is also Eleanor - and we have no good reason for it except we both liked it... And that was tough with her. How old is your Eleanor? Mine's 4.5....
    edited November 11, 2007
    How funny! Yup! My Ellie is also Eleanor - and we have no good reason for it except we both liked it... And that was tough with her. How old is your Eleanor? Mine's 4.5....

She just turned three. She was born right before the last election and we wanted some good juju out there. We named her after Eleanor Roosevelt.

Here's the Turtle this Halloween:

213828258-M.jpg