Options

Photographing a State Aquarium

Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
edited November 11, 2007 in Technique
I'm going to photograph a state aquarium tomorrow...late I know, but if there is anyone out there that has some experience shooting thorough glass at fishies...let me know. This is a just-for-fun trip, and if the shoot goes okay, I will post the results here.

Need advice on shutter speeds, DOF, etc.

I will be using a tripod and trying hi ISO and slower shutter speed...but any help is always appreciated.
Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed

Comments

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    I don't bother with a tripod in an aquarium because I need a high enough shutter speed to stop the motion of the fish anyhow. High ISO is the way to go. The brighter tanks aren't too bad, but for the darker ones, I'd suggest a f/2.8 lens preferrably with IS.

Here is a shot from the Montery Bay Aquarium:

161638247-M-1.jpg

Canon 70-300 DO IS, ISO 800, f/6.3 1/125s
  • Options
    DBSmithDBSmith Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 11, 2007
    Any IS lens will be a big help in this situation. Obviously, leave the flash at home. There will be some fish that you simply will not be able to get a good shot off (faster moving ones). If you can get one that is just floating in place, you'll get great shots - just watch out for glare on the glass. Enjoy! Let us know how it goes.

aquarium.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 11, 2007
    I have shot the Aquarium in Chattanooga a couple times, and the light can be REAL dark at times.

I would suggest a 50mm f1.4 or an 85mm f1.8 on an APS sensored camera.

If you have a 35mm f1.4 is will work great also. Faster is really better, and 2.8 may not be as fast as you would prefer. A zoom is not really needed usually. I always shot aquaria with primes.

You will be shooting at ISO 800 and higher. A tripod deos not help much because you may be panning with the swimming fishes in the larger tanks or holding the front lens hood on the glass itself for stabilization. IS lenses don't help much because most fish are in constant motion.

Buy a microfibre cleaninng cloth from Sam's or someplace - frequently the front of the smaller aquaria are covered with fingerprints and gruk. Give'm a swipe with the micro fibre cloth.

If you have a RUBBER lens shade ( they screw in like a filter ) they can be helpful, because you can press them right up against the glass surface and help reduce glare and reflections.

ISO 1600 f2.5 1/160th 85mm
    41965558-L.jpg

ISO 1600 f2.8 1/60th 85mm
    12000765-L.jpg

ISO 1600 f3.2 1/30th 85mm
    10897854-L.jpg

Here is one shot with Kodachrome in a housing underwater off Grand Cayman many years ago with a Canon F-1
    3858878-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin