when to replace cartridge?

cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
edited November 17, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I'm curious what others are doing in terms of when you replace the ink cartridges in your printer? Do you do it when the driver first tells you to? Or wait until the driver tells you a color is empty? Or even wait until you see that you've run out of that color?

I ask because I laughed when the canon driver first suggested I replace three of my ink cartridges, 2 months (and a few dozen large prints) later, it finally told me one of the colors was now "empty", but I just did a small color dot test print and it sure looks to me like it's still printing that color just fine. So now I'm debating replacing that tank now, or waiting until I actually see it stop printing magenta.

Particularly curious what any other canon pixma pro9000 (or similar) owners are doing.... Has anyone actually experienced the "damage" they claim will happen if you keep printing?
SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
http://wall-art.smugmug.com/

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 13, 2007
    bump
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    I wait until it won't let me print anymore because it says the tank is empty.
    Chris
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I wait until it won't let me print anymore because it says the tank is empty.

Me too!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I've got an HP 9180 and I print until the printer itself tells me to change the cartrifge. I have had it stop in the middle of a print and once the cartridge was replaced you could not tell where it had paused in the print. I do not have experience with a Canon printer though. Those warnings you get from the driver are to let you know you need to buy a new cartridge but like you've already seen you generaly have a lot of ink left. I wouldn't put to much faith in the ink levels you get through your driver.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto