Fall Lax

wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
edited November 17, 2007 in Sports
Here are a couple from a tournament just north of Baltimore yesterday. It was a cold, cloudy day..but at least no rain. Tried to work on shooting tight throughout the day.

219971349-M.jpg

219971332-M.jpg

219970968-M.jpg

219971162-M.jpg

219964931-M.jpg

Appreciate any comments.
Regards

Will

Comments

• time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    219971349-M.jpg

wings.gifclap.gif :ivar bowdown.gif

Great shots. #1 my favorite- I guess you wish the other stick was not in the way- but you cant pose the action.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    time2smile wrote:
    #1 my favorite- I guess you wish the other stick was not in the way- but you cant pose the action.

The mother of this girls told me she liked it because it did have the stick in the shot--guess it showed this was actually during a game, and how close the opponent was to checking her, etc. Her mom also like the following shot--even though I could have probably cropped out the arm/stick/etc., she wanted it in... Although it seems the golden rule of sports photography is shoot close and crop closer, it seems some folks really want a little more perspective in the shots--which I think objects in the fore- and background give.

Just being a beginner, I'm trying hard to learn what people like. What I find is that frequently customers want things that seem contrary to what you would ordinarily think... but the customer's always right... So on some shots, I've tried cropping some shots two ways (and sometimes they then buy one of each!)

219971061-M.jpg

Interested in hearing about anyone else's experiences...
    Regards

Will
    I find parents like to have some action in the shoot, but not the face hidden or obstructed, than you can always crop a portait out of it if they want.

This shot shows action and an unobstructed view, you cant ask for any better, Great Job
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • HugoHugo Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    wmstumme wrote:
    Just being a beginner, I'm trying hard to learn what people like. What I find is that frequently customers want things that seem contrary to what you would ordinarily think... but the customer's always right... So on some shots, I've tried cropping some shots two ways (and sometimes they then buy one of each!)

219971061-M.jpg

Interested in hearing about anyone else's experiences...
    You shouldn't try to shoot how you think people like it. You should shoot the way you think it looks better to you. ;)

Having experience in sports photography, I can tell you it can take a lot of games to find what YOU like! Personally, I really liked your first shot. You could even frame it closer! But it's up to you.

As for this last picture, I really like the dynamism that the stick in the foreground brings to the picture.

This is some great work. I hope to see more from you soon. :)
    Hugo Royer
    www.hroyer.com

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
    Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II
  • flacoflaco Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    That first shot is white hot.

Love the intensity in her face.

Flaco
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Hugo wrote:
    You shouldn't try to shoot how you think people like it. You should shoot the way you think it looks better to you. ;)

Hugo and Flaco--thanks for the feedback.

I think Hugo's comment captures why I'm still a bit ambivalent about ever making this too much of a job. Right now it is still primarily a hobby, and I can choose to only really do what I want to do. For example, I have really have no interest in doing the typical posed sports shots--yet I am starting to get more requests from coaches to do those. I know there is easy money there--just don't know if that is the way I want to take this.

However, I still do like it when someone gets excited about one of my shots--and frequently it is not the same shot I would pick as my favorite.

Thanks again for your comments!
    Regards

Will