Options

IR Park

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
edited November 22, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
This is one of the first images I captured with the Minolta Dimage 7 (D7) and IR filter:
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    It's hard to tell what your subject is or what you may have been trying to capture, other than it being IR.

I like the blue treatment though. Let's see more.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    It's hard to tell what your subject is or what you may have been trying to capture, other than it being IR.

I like the blue treatment though. Let's see more.

Thanks Chris. There is a playground on the left side of the image, just trees on the right.

I'm still experimenting with this new capability, so there will be more to come as I figure it out.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    This is one of the first images I captured with the Minolta Dimage 7 (D7) and IR filter:

Hey there Ziggy you got a nice assortment of trees.
    Looking good so far, hope you'll share some more as you keep experimenting. thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited November 12, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

Very nice. Looks like mid-winter trees covered in snow and ice. I like it.

Cheers,
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    I like it too. It certainly grabs your interest. And regarding composition, it looks as though it would make a great wrap-around CD or book cover. Slits quite nicely into two separate pix.

clap.gifclap
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Very interesting, Ziggy. How hard is it to control the color?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there Ziggy you got a nice assortment of trees.
    Looking good so far, hope you'll share some more as you keep experimenting. thumb.gif ... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy.

Trees and wooden playground are the IR draw to this park. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Very nice. Looks like mid-winter trees covered in snow and ice. I like it.

Cheers,

Thanks Richard.

IR is wonderful for making summer look a little like winter. This was just before many of these trees lost their leaves.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    xris wrote:
    I like it too. It certainly grabs your interest. And regarding composition, it looks as though it would make a great wrap-around CD or book cover. Slits quite nicely into two separate pix.

clap.gifclap

Thanks Xris.

I do think it will enlarge nicely and yes, I did think more of a panoramic since both the sky and the foreground were not so detailed in this image.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Very interesting, Ziggy. How hard is it to control the color?

Thanks Sid.

The Dimage 7 has a hot spot when used as an IR camera, so that has to be considered in the composition or corrected in post.

This image is a red-blue swap using the Channel Mixer in PSCS2. Then the color was very carefully coaxed and massaged from the rather subtle hues, all while trying to make the vegetation white. It is an interesting exercise and I doubt that I will ever be able to make a routine out of the steps. Even similar images seem to require considerably different treatment to make a useful final image.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Like the result. Too bad that each photo has to be worked so hard to
    get a desired IR effect. Good luck with your continuing efforts. Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    Like the result. Too bad that each photo has to be worked so hard to
    get a desired IR effect. Good luck with your continuing efforts. Michael

Thanks Michael. I don't mean that it's horrible to process IR images, it's just that there is no "standard" method of processing, just like most images in full color.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Amazing beautiful photo Ziggy clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Thanks Sid.

The Dimage 7 has a hot spot when used as an IR camera, so that has to be considered in the composition or corrected in post.

This image is a red-blue swap using the Channel Mixer in PSCS2. Then the color was very carefully coaxed and massaged from the rather subtle hues, all while trying to make the vegetation white. It is an interesting exercise and I doubt that I will ever be able to make a routine out of the steps. Even similar images seem to require considerably different treatment to make a useful final image.
    Is it more of a challenge to make it B&W?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

It's actually kinda the same process. At least for me it is. The images come out of my modded D50 as red and white images. I convert to grayscale using Lightroom. Then I tweak the brightness and contrast of the image in CS3 individually.

I can't say its challenging because I'm so used to doing it this way. For perspective I guess you could kinda compare it to applying curves to a color image.

Prior to LR I used to do it manually and it can be a mind numbing process for large batches of images.

Of course if you really wanted to be slick you could get your camera modded with a filter that gives you b&w IR out of the camera (on my wish list) and eliminate the conversion step altogether. You'd still have to tweak either the contrast/brightness or the color channels to taste though.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Amazing beautiful photo Ziggy clap.gif

Thanks so much Awais.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

B&W is it's own challenge and I do think it can be more difficult to find interesting subjects for grayscale images.

I created a custom negative mask to correct the central hotspot (sometimes) and if I use it as a Color blending layer it corrects the hot spot and neutralizes much of the IR color cast as well.

I used the negative mask on the IR versions of this image:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76046
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    It's actually kinda the same process. At least for me it is. The images come out of my modded D50 as red and white images. I convert to grayscale using Lightroom. Then I tweak the brightness and contrast of the image in CS3 individually.

I can't say its challenging because I'm so used to doing it this way. For perspective I guess you could kinda compare it to applying curves to a color image.

Prior to LR I used to do it manually and it can be a mind numbing process for large batches of images.

Of course if you really wanted to be slick you could get your camera modded with a filter that gives you b&w IR out of the camera (on my wish list) and eliminate the conversion step altogether. You'd still have to tweak either the contrast/brightness or the color channels to taste though.

RAW capture does aid the process because the color shifts can be pretty severe using the IR filter. JPG tends to lose a lot more tonality in the process.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    niclednicled Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2007
    Ziggy, can you share your workflow?

I have some IR shots but they're not as good as yours...i don't get the snow effect on the leaves. Btw, i use an IR filter on my Nikon D40x.

Here are samples...

2053536173_e54113f10b.jpg

1940589103_0e9d492568.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2007
    nicled wrote:
    Ziggy, can you share your workflow?

I have some IR shots but they're not as good as yours...i don't get the snow effect on the leaves. Btw, i use an IR filter on my Nikon D40x.

Here are samples...

Thanks for the compliment Nicled. Actually, yours are awfully nice too.

I'm afraid that I don't have a workflow, just what I said above:

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=679899&postcount=11
    ziggy53
  • Options
    niclednicled Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Thanks for the compliment Nicled. Actually, yours are awfully nice too.

I'm afraid that I don't have a workflow, just what I said above:

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=679899&postcount=11

thanks ziggy. can't get that "snowy" effect. you had your dslr converted or do you also use an IR filter?
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2007
    Beautiful photo. I love the weeping willow in the right of the photo. I think it adds balance to the photo.

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2007
    nicled wrote:
    thanks ziggy. can't get that "snowy" effect. you had your dslr converted or do you also use an IR filter?

The Minolta Dimage 7 (D7) is an older (2001) 5 megapixel digicam. It is fairly unique in that it has a weak IR filter. I do use a Hoya R72 IR filter to help control visible light.

It's not quite as good as a dedicated/converted camera, but the results can be fairly nice.

The "master" of this particular camera is Daniella T.:

http://www.pbase.com/zylen/crazy_colours
    http://www.pbase.com/zylen/infrared

I wish I knew "her" workflow. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    Beautiful photo. I love the weeping willow in the right of the photo. I think it adds balance to the photo.

Dogdots/Mary

Thanks Mary. IR is kinda wierd and you never really know what you're getting. When it does work, it can be pretty nice.
    ziggy53