Can a password be added to a sub-category?

inteinte Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited November 12, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I shoot a lot of weddings & events and would like to try using Smugmug to display the images from those events. In the past I would post a "master link" that would take the user to a screen where they would enter their password & then be presented with a page containing links to several different galleries (before, ceremony, reception, etc...).

I have created password-protected galleries in Smugmug, but in order to allow someone to see the images, I would have to send them separate links for each gallery (1 link for "ceremony", a separate link for "reception", etc...).

I just created a sub-category in "events" for a wedding, and added several password-protected (all sharing the same password) galleries to that sub-category. Is there a way to password-protect that subcategory?

As it is now, if the user logs into a particular gallery, say "reception", then tried to click on the events subcategory (e.g., "Mike & Michelle"), to see their other galleries, it says "no events found". They have to manually enter each separate gallery URL, then enter the password.

How can I set up one password-protected page where someone can go to see all their galleries?

Seems like what I'm trying to do would be very common & standard ... what am I missing?

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    inte wrote:
    I shoot a lot of weddings & events and would like to try using Smugmug to display the images from those events. In the past I would post a "master link" that would take the user to a screen where they would enter their password & then be presented with a page containing links to several different galleries (before, ceremony, reception, etc...).

I have created password-protected galleries in Smugmug, but in order to allow someone to see the images, I would have to send them separate links for each gallery (1 link for "ceremony", a separate link for "reception", etc...).

I just created a sub-category in "events" for a wedding, and added several password-protected (all sharing the same password) galleries to that sub-category. Is there a way to password-protect that subcategory?

As it is now, if the user logs into a particular gallery, say "reception", then tried to click on the events subcategory (e.g., "Mike & Michelle"), to see their other galleries, it says "no events found". They have to manually enter each separate gallery URL, then enter the password.

How can I set up one password-protected page where someone can go to see all their galleries?

Seems like what I'm trying to do would be very common & standard ... what am I missing?

There is no easy way to password protect a sub-category itself. But, I shoot a lot of events, some of which have to be password protected and here's what I do.
    • I create a sub-category for the event (I name it something descriptive like "Cobras Soccer - Spring 2007".
    • I create all the galleries for the event in that sub-category.
    • I give them all the same password that will be the "event password".
    • I upload the images to the various galleries.
    • I set a "feature photo" in every gallery so that the thumbnail in the sub-category shows a real image thumb, not the lock icon. This means that the thumbnails visible in the sub-category page are not password protected, but that's OK for my situation.
    • I then send out a link to the sub-category page which the recipients will feel is their "event page" and tell them that when they open the first gallery, they will be prompted for a password and I tell them what the password is.
    • When they open the first gallery, they are prompted for a password. If they enter it successfully, they get in.
    • When they open any other successive gallery, they are not prompted for a password because Smugmug has a nice "undocumented" feature which I hope they never break that once you've entered a password, you can get right into any other galleries that have the same password until either your cookie expires or you use some other password on the site. This trick is what makes the password work like an "event password".
    Here's an example: http://friend.smugmug.com/Sports/406225.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • inteinte Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 12, 2007
    It all works ... until the step described below (sending out the link to the sub-category page).
    After logging out of my smugmug account, trying to navigate directly to my gallery page shows the name of the subcategory in the file tree at the top, but simply says "no galleries found"

You can see the result by clicking this link:
    http://jonbeckphotography.smugmug.com/Events/410198

If I log into to my smugmug account & navigate to that same link, I can see all five galleries, each showing the "featured photo".

I can navigate directly to a particular gallery in the sub-category, am prompted for the password, then that gallery opens. BUT I cannot navigate to any other gallery - only way to open them is to directly enter the link, then enter the password.
    jfriend wrote:
    • I then send out a link to the sub-category page which the recipients will feel is their "event page" and tell them that when they open the first gallery, they will be prompted for a password and I tell them what the password is.
    • When they open the first gallery, they are prompted for a password. If they enter it successfully, they get in
    Here's an example: http://friend.smugmug.com/Sports/406225.
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    inte wrote:
    After logging out of my smugmug account, trying to navigate directly to my gallery page shows the name of the subcategory in the file tree at the top, but simply says "no galleries found"
    Are they Private galleries ?

Andrew
    edited November 12, 2007
    Yes - that brings up a good point - is a "private gallery" the same as "password-protected"?
    Dna wrote:

Andrew
    edited November 12, 2007
    Dna wrote:

Andrew

EUREKA ... added password - and - made it "public". Works great!

Next step - I have custom banners for the various galleries, but haven't found a way to ad a "subcategory" banner that's independent of the main smugmug account banner.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    inte wrote:
    EUREKA ... added password - and - made it "public". Works great!

Next step - I have custom banners for the various galleries, but haven't found a way to ad a "subcategory" banner that's independent of the main smugmug account banner.

It sounds like you figured it out. Cool. Private is not the same as password protected. Private is not listed on your home page, in a category or in a sub-category ever except for the logged in account holder. Private galleries are only visible when you give a direct link to the gallery to someone or when you put them in a sharegroup and give that link to someone.

Public galleries are listed on the home page, in categories and sub-categories for everyone. If a public gallery is password protected, then it is listed, but requires a password to get in. That's what I used in the example above.

Now, to your question about a custom header for each category, you put all your custom headers into the same header customization blow and you hide/show only the one you want to be seen with custom CSS. It's fairly easy to have CSS rules that make all headers except for one for a particular category be hidden. You can probably find out to do this in the customizatoin FAQ over in the customization forum. It is easy once you see an example of the right CSS code.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question