What happened to 6 SF3 contestants?

VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited November 13, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
What happened to: Annie222, Awais Yaqub, Davlistudios, Gary Glass, Nikos, and Pat66442

I have been thinking about Awais since the begining of this contest because I know he is from Pakastan... I hope he is safe, and I wonder if his internet conectivity was cut off because of the unrest and crack down by Pervez Musharraf?

I hope all is well with these people and it wasn't something beyond their control which caused them not to enter a shot in the contest...

Winston

Comments

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    I hope all is well with these people and it wasn't something beyond their control which caused them not to enter a shot in the contest...

Winston

I'm hoping the exact same thing

I am shocked -- and saddened that our peers lost out on the fun. :cry
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    I thought there were entries missing, but didn't check to see who hadn't entered.

I do hope that all is well with the missing contestants!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    If you go up there in the grey nav-bar there, you can click on "Shooters" and go look for all fo them to see their latest activity. They haven't disappeared. It's just that this round is like a quiet poker game!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    VisualXpressions:

Thank you for the concern - I'm sorry to say that I did not enter anything because I honestly felt I had nothing worth entering. I haven't had as much time for shooting, but what seems to be more of the problem for me is I draw a lot of my inspiration from the set theme of the qualifying rounds. When the theme has been open, I've had few ideas and none of them turned out this time. I'm honestly feeling a bit of hesitation about whether I should continue to participate in the qualifying rounds because I don't want to waste the spot in the semifinals again if I was to be so lucky to qualify again.
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Pat664422 wrote:
    VisualXpressions:

Thank you for the concern - I'm sorry to say that I did not enter anything because I honestly felt I had nothing worth entering. I haven't had as much time for shooting, but what seems to be more of the problem for me is I draw a lot of my inspiration from the set theme of the qualifying rounds. When the theme has been open, I've had few ideas and none of them turned out this time. I'm honestly feeling a bit of hesitation about whether I should continue to participate in the qualifying rounds because I don't want to waste the spot in the semifinals again if I was to be so lucky to qualify again.

Well if I can encourage you to keep entering, then I hope it works.

I often find myself in a similar situation feeling that I don't have anything strong enough to enter. Part of that is work related, part of it is self doubt.

But, I've also found that ideas can hit me at anytime and while I might not feel inspired or creative at the moment, I might tomorrow.

So if you keep entering, you are at least keeping your mind open to the possibility - and creativity starts with an open mind.

Just my 0.02

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    So if you keep entering, you are at least keeping your mind open to the possibility - and creativity starts with an open mind.

Just my 0.02

Regards,

Peter

15524779-Ti.gif
    -- Pat664422, Please do not abandon entering. You must have started entering images into LPS because you love photography. Do it because you love what you are doing. The more you do the better you will feel.
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Peter and Sherstone:

Thanks for your words of encouragement; they are much appreciated. I do very much enjoy photography and this contest. I feel like I am not quite close to the level required for the semifinals - but I'll try to remember your point Peter, that creativity starts with an open mind.
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Pat664422 wrote:
    I feel like I am not quite close to the level required for the semifinals

Pat, so far in 15 rounds there has been, as a guess, around 800-900 photos submitted to the LPS and out of that, maybe only 100 different photographers have qualified for the semi's.

Each entry thread gets viewed thousands of times, both by those that enter and by others who I'm sure would like to enter, but who perhaps also suffer from self doubt or who have a disagreement with the format.

So you should take some comfort from the fact that within the entire community here, you have plucked up the nerve to put your photos out for judgement and have sufficient skill to be selected amongst the qualifying group.

That's no small feet, because there are many of fine photos and photogs that have missed out (but I hope they keep entering too).

So, I wouldn't worry if I was you. Whatever you produce, it will be good enough for the semi.

Now just my 0.04

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Pat664422 wrote:
    I feel like I am not quite close to the level required for the semifinals - but I'll try to remember your point Peter, that creativity starts with an open mind.

Join the club. I have entered three semifinals and failed to make the top ten in all three. The only one way I manage to keep playing this game is to not worry about the judging. I don't try to win. I shoot whatever I want, enter whatever I want, and if the dice roll my way maybe I'll get a prize.