Options

Lighting Help????

anderson_paulanderson_paul Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited November 15, 2007 in Technique
Hi all I was just wondering I'm still new to studio Lighting and I'm trying to learn more. before I go buy any lights, and Wanted to know with so many books, and websites, and video's on lighting which are your favorites. any info would be helpful thanks.
Some men see things as they are an say "Why?"
I dream things that never were and say
"Why Not?"

Comments

• Options
    jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    THE Lighting book
    The most important book you need is Light: Scienc and Magic.
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Watch the movie SinCity if you have not already seen it. Look at how the light is used thoughout the whole movie..people are side lit..backlit & still have shadow that compliments the character. Obviously they dont stop & mention how its all done but it will show you how the real pro's light a scene/person.

In the least you will see just how far you can go with light. The best cinematography i have ever seen.

That said it aint everyones cup of tea. Its a Tarantino show so be ready for some shocks though rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    www.strobist.com not studio lights as such, but pretty much everything you would want to know about small flash as an alternative to studio lights
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    jcdill wrote:
    The most important book you need is Light: Scienc and Magic.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    This book teaches the fundamentals of lighting.

NOTE: This isn't a "scott kelby" book. It breaks things apart and really explains how things work. It's not for the fainthearted but it's contents are pure gold!

NOTE2: Make sure you get the third edition. The first two aren't in color. Same great content though.
    -Jon
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    The book I got tons of help from is Peter Gowlands' :Gowlands Guide tp Glamour Photography" ..... it has diagrams and all to with the text of the book.....his work caught my eye as I was always around Fillin' Stations and fixit shops and such as a kid and the Snap On and Rigid Tool Calendars were everywhere with their bikini clad beauties showing off the tools for that year.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website