Options

Uploading with from the MAC

JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
edited March 9, 2005 in SmugMug Support
When I use the uploader on my MAC the transfers seem to take longer and I get a blasted e-mail for each photo that I upload instead of one for the whole batch like I do on a winbloze system, what gives?

James.

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    When I use the uploader on my MAC the transfers seem to take longer and I get a blasted e-mail for each photo that I upload instead of one for the whole batch like I do on a winbloze system, what gives?

James.

I can't comment on the time factor. I've only uploaded using the OS-X uploader so I have no reference point. I do wish it was faster though. I don't think the Uploader is using all the bandwidth my connection has to offer.

In regards to the email, I don't get any emails on uploading. Not for each image, not for each batch. Is that an account option setting?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I can't comment on the time factor. I've only uploaded using the OS-X uploader so I have no reference point. I do wish it was faster though. I don't think the Uploader is using all the bandwidth my connection has to offer.

In regards to the email, I don't get any emails on uploading. Not for each image, not for each batch. Is that an account option setting?

The uploader has no settings option like that, so that's very curious. My experience is like Bill's. And the uploads along with the page deliveries have gotten a lot faster lately, hurrah to the bit mechanics!
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    You can turn on the e-mail notify in your account settings under mail, "upload status". With the PC uploader I only get one e-mail per batch witch states the number of pics uploaded, but with the mac I get one per pic, frustrating, sometimes it is nice to get that e-mail feedback, but getting 300 e-mails is a real pain, kinda worthless as the reason I wanted them in the first place was to see that all uploaded, it's not like I am going to sit there and manually count the e-mails to see that I got the same number as the number of pics I uploaded. With one e-mail per batch you can check the total number and compare easily.

James.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    You can turn on the e-mail notify in your account settings under mail, "upload status". With the PC uploader I only get one e-mail per batch witch states the number of pics uploaded, but with the mac I get one per pic, frustrating, sometimes it is nice to get that e-mail feedback, but getting 300 e-mails is a real pain, kinda worthless as the reason I wanted them in the first place was to see that all uploaded, it's not like I am going to sit there and manually count the e-mails to see that I got the same number as the number of pics I uploaded. With one e-mail per batch you can check the total number and compare easily.

James.

Are you talking about using the browser to upload, or smugmug uploader?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:

James.

The transfers should be identical in time. It might feel a little longer, but remember there's no long processing time afterwards like there is on the windows uploaders.

All of the "next-gen" uploaders (Mac OS X, Smugmug Explorer, etc) no longer have the concept of "batches", instead, they upload one photo at a time. It's much less error-prone. That's why you're seeing an email for each photo. I'd turn that option off.

As soon as all the uploaders are migrated to the new format, we'll stop sending emails entirely.

Don
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Are you talking about using the browser to upload, or smugmug uploader?
    uploader.

James.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    The transfers should be identical in time. It might feel a little longer, but remember there's no long processing time afterwards like there is on the windows uploaders.

All of the "next-gen" uploaders (Mac OS X, Smugmug Explorer, etc) no longer have the concept of "batches", instead, they upload one photo at a time. It's much less error-prone. That's why you're seeing an email for each photo. I'd turn that option off.

As soon as all the uploaders are migrated to the new format, we'll stop sending emails entirely.

Don
    That will be a sad day for some of us, what "old" uploaders are there still out there which still use batch mode? The single e-mail with a photo count is VERY useful when uploading from Internet cafe's in third world countries. If you are going to turn off the e-mails PLEASE!!!! build a count feature into the uploaders which gets a conformation and a total count all pics uploaded. My last time in RP I took my mac running OSX, the uploader failed so badly that I was forced to copy the photo's to a winblows system and use the IE uploader which worked much better. :cry

James.

P.S. BTW there was a MAJOR speed differnace, on the MAC it was taking around 5+min per photo, on the IE uploader on a winblows system, on the same network it uploaded a little over 100 pics in about 15 min. On that very same mac laptop here the speed is close to a winblows system, it seems that the OSX uploader does not handle poor conections well.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    I just ran a test, one from a 12" white I Book, the other a dell laptop running XP, PC = 512MB ram, Mac = 640 MB ram, PC = PIII @ 697 mhz, Mac = G3 @ 500 MHZ, both systems ethernet @ 100 MBPS into the same switch, it took the mac right at 4 min to upload a folder from it's HDD containing 30 pics (29MB) (this folder http://www.jamesjweg.com/stuff/102604/ ) It took the XP 8 sec to procces that same folder and 2 min, 7 sec to finish the upload, that is 1 min, 45 sec differance for the same pics. No big deal here, but in a third world internet cafe it's rough, that differance turns into hours.

James.
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Silly Mac zealots...get so upset when Windows does something better than a Mac. (Just kidding guys, I love you.)
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    that is 1 min, 45 sec differance for the same pics. No big deal here, but in a third world internet cafe it's rough, that differance turns into hours.

Next weekend I will probably have 500 images to upload. Late March I should have about the same number. Roughly 3M per image. I would be interested in knowing faster ways to upload from my Power Book (my only computer). I currently use the OS-X Smugmug Uploader, grabbing images from iPhoto albums.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    Silly Mac zealots...get so upset when Windows does something better than a Mac. (Just kidding guys, I love you.)
    I work on Winblows systems for a living, I have macs because they ARE better. :D

James.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    James,
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    The single e-mail with a photo count is VERY useful when uploading from Internet cafe's in third world countries.
    I know it's not gonna help you in your case, but I would contemplate adding "send email after upload" feature to my smugmug explorer - provided I would understand the need for this..
    I mean - you're using your laptop (apple or dell, does not matter:-), ain't it easier simply to look at the uploader window to check the progress status?

Or you're talking about sending email to somebody else (like your editor, for instance), so you can start the upload and go to bed, and it will send email 4 am Hongkong time, so your NYC (LA, Paris, etc) colleagues could start working on the shots?

TIA

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I know it's not gonna help you in your case, but I would contemplate adding "send email after upload" feature to my smugmug explorer - provided I would understand the need for this..
    I mean - you're using your laptop (apple or dell, does not matter:-), ain't it easier simply to look at the uploader window to check the progress status?

Or you're talking about sending email to somebody else (like your editor, for instance), so you can start the upload and go to bed, and it will send email 4 am Hongkong time, so your NYC (LA, Paris, etc) colleagues could start working on the shots?

TIA

Cheers!1drink.gif
    I found it useful for uploads that took for stinking ever from some hole in the wall on a back street in Iligan. When the upload takes so long that you take your chances and leave your laptop at the cafe uploading while you go to the beach for the day because you can't see spending 8 hours watching it upload, it's really nice to know they all got there without haveing to spend 20 min on a slow connection browsing the gallery to see if they are all there. If you are not standing at the system when it finishs you have no report as to compleation.

James.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    rolleyes1.gif I just saw the thread title, boy you can tell today was a rough one.

James.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Thank you!
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I found it useful for uploads that took for stinking ever from some hole in the wall on a back street in Iligan. When the upload takes so long that you take your chances and leave your laptop at the cafe uploading while you go to the beach for the day because you can't see spending 8 hours watching it upload, it's really nice to know they all got there without haveing to spend 20 min on a slow connection browsing the gallery to see if they are all there. If you are not standing at the system when it finishs you have no report as to compleation.

James.
    I personally would be worried leaving my $2-3K worth of electronics, and, even more important, gigabytes of priceless private info sitting on the table on some internet cafe unattended, but with the replacement of the location with a locked hotel room I can dig the scenario.

Thanks again, I'll think of it..
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I personally would be worried leaving my $2-3K worth of electronics, and, even more important, gigabytes of priceless private info sitting on the table on some internet cafe unattended, but with the replacement of the location with a locked hotel room I can dig the scenario.

Thanks again, I'll think of it..
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    Hotels there do not have internet connections, yes that choice sucks, but some time we all take chances.

James.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 8, 2005
    Hey James,

This is odd behavior we can't seem to replicate. I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of other people seeing this behavior either. Is there anything with the configuration of your Mac that could be causing this?

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey James,

This is odd behavior we can't seem to replicate. I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of other people seeing this behavior either. Is there anything with the configuration of your Mac that could be causing this?

Thanks,
    Baldy
    Not tht I know of, but I have noticed that when it is uploading the activity light on the hub for the mac seems to indicate long periods of no activity.

James.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    We're getting closer to finishing a 2.0 version of the Mac uploader and, for better or worse, the java bridge that does the actual communication with smugmug is being re-written. We're finding it too hard to debug and Apple's history with Java too shakey.

So I think the best thing is to do is make sure the new code is solid rather than spending time investigating a release that will soon be obsolete.

Sorry I don't have an immediate answer.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    So I think the best thing is to do is make sure the new code is solid rather than spending time investigating a release that will soon be obsolete.

I would agree.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    We're getting closer to finishing a 2.0 version of the Mac uploader and, for better or worse, the java bridge that does the actual communication with smugmug is being re-written. We're finding it too hard to debug and Apple's history with Java too shakey.

Sorry I don't have an immediate answer.

Thanks,
    Baldy
    I understand fully, do you have a rough idea on V 2.0 release date? If a beta copy of it appeared in my mail I wouldn't complain.

James.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Matt was talking the other day about making a beta release available, but I don't know how quickly. Soon as it arrives, I'll let you know.