Interesting new theme direction

peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited November 12, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
In that this round is almost an open round.

Having read Shay's post a couple of weeks back where he indicated that the last 5 rounds would try to round things out and bring back a focus on quality/technique in addition to the theme, round 16 should measure up to that statement.

For me, the take home message this round is shoot what you like, but make the quality exceptional.

I hope there are even more entries than for round 15.

Any other opinions?

Regards,

Peter
It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate

Comments

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    That is how I read it... 15524779-Ti.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    I am still trying to sort out what this theme means. As far as I can tell Shay does not give the same guidance to the judges that he gives to us so my fear is that the judges' interpretation of this theme is likely to be all over the map. In the past we have been told to pick one theme or the other which suggests that how we choose to light our entry should be front and center. The quandary is that for much of photography you want the viewer concentrating on your subject rather than your gear.

The one conclusion I do come to is that the quality of your light will matter.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    I do believe that this theme will prove to be the most interesting of all themes thus far...as the theme in itself is almost ambiguous in meaning. Which when left open for self interpretation could mean many things...

Flash or Ambient??? eek7.gif

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    I don't think you should assume this relates only to light, flash can of course mean showy and ambient simply means surrounding or all encompassing.

Thread killer post warning! (Current score, 3.)

Charlie
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    I don't think you should assume this relates only to light, flash can of course mean showy and ambient simply means surrounding or all encompassing.

Charlie

Interesting take that I didn't see until you mentioned it.

Personally, I think that there is going to be a very strong focus on light in the entries, so deciding instead to go with something flashy (for example) and then say only lighting it in a so so way would be a difficult thing to pull off and get through.

I think I'll play it safe and go for killer light, solid camera technique and a strong message.

Regards,

Peter
    edited November 12, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:

Charlie

Love your sense of humor...Laughing.gif
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited November 12, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:

At one point we were told to let the opposites define each other (can't find the quite at the moment) which makes be a bit hesitant to go for other definitions of the words. None-the-less, you have given me a rather amusing idea...
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    At one point we were told to let the opposites define each other (can't find the quite at the moment) which makes be a bit hesitant to go for other definitions of the words. None-the-less, you have given me a rather amusing idea...

Not if I get there first!mwink.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Not if I get there first!mwink.gif

flasher.jpg

:D
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited November 12, 2007
    flasher.jpg

rolleyes1.gif
    Clearly that cat is out of the bag...:D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    Clearly that cat is out of the bag...:D
    Is anybody going to French Quarter for this? lol3.gif
    Also, how about some dgrin-flash-mob event? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 12, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Is anybody going to French Quarter for this? lol3.gif
    Also, how about some dgrin-flash-mob event? mwink.gif

Hmmmm Fantasy Fest in the Keys sounds like an option for me....Hmmmmm...
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Love your sense of humor...Laughing.gif

And I love the way you always break the curse :ivar

Charlie
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    flasher.jpg

Pyro, might that be what we'd have seen had we been on the other side of your SF3 subject?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    flasher.jpg

That looks suspiciously like Shay....so he wasn't abducted by aliens then...
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Orignally posted by the bigsky.

Charlie

Doh! Got showy missed encompassing. Thread killer post warning. Pretty
    funny. rolleyes1.gifJust exactly what I needed to hear just now. :D Theres
    still a chance I can resuscitate my sense of humor. Thanks

Shay had this line in there...
    photo move people with beautiful color, brightness, contrast, and sharpness (where apropriate).

I heard emphasis on color. I know better than to think B&W is out this round but there it is. Michael
    Michael
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    I don't want to taint anyones nascent ideas here. But I do want to say how happy I am to see photographers discuss things like this. You are all on the right track here. Explore the possibilities, push, pull...craft thumb.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    I don't want to taint anyones nascent ideas here. But I do want to say how happy I am to see photographers discuss things like this. You are all on the right track here. Explore the possibilities, push, pull...craft thumb.gif

HE LIVES clap.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section