Options

Buying PS

pantherlaxpantherlax Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited November 12, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm a student in HS, in an Advanced Photo class. I've been shooting for two years now and love it.

I'm going to get some sort of of Photoshop, just dont know what to get. Being a HS student, budget is most important.

Looking at the choices on their website, there's CS3, Lightroom, and Elements.

At school we work with CS3, and that would be most ideal to have at home...but its $650. I know with things like Microsoft Office there are discounted student packages. Is there one for PS and if so can anyone give me a link or more info?

Is Lightroom or Elements good enough for a student who plans to keep photography as a lifetime hobby?

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    You should be eligible for an educational discount.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited November 12, 2007
    pantherlax wrote:
    Is Lightroom or Elements good enough for a student who plans to keep photography as a lifetime hobby?

No, you will want Photoshop sooner or later. I think the educational price is around $300.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    I agree with both the above and at academic super store you should be able to acquire a great bundle of PS for under $300......I would do one of the CS3 bundles including lightroom....cheaper than buying separately.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    Thanks all, so I will definitely get some sort of CS3 set.
    Art Scott wrote:
    I agree with both the above and at academic super store you should be able to acquire a great bundle of PS for under $300......I would do one of the CS3 bundles including lightroom....cheaper than buying separately.

I'm confused; I thought lightroom was a watered down version of CS3?

And with a simple search on the website there is a bunch: http://www.academicsuperstore.com/quick_search.html?qks=1&qk_srch=photoshop&x=0&y=0

Is this what I am looking for? CS3 Design Standard. http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=798207&qk_srch=photoshop

Thanks so much all. I'm quite the fool. :D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Yes, you are confused. It's not a replacement for PS, it's a companion product with an awful lot going for it, as well as a lot of overlap with Bridge.

As for what to get, that's up to you, but if all you want is PS/Bridge, then this ought to do you just fine.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    I've never heard of Bridge, but thats ok! I think that link is perfect!

Thanks.
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    pantherlax wrote:
    I've never heard of Bridge, but thats ok! I think that link is perfect!

Thanks.

Bridge is a browser on the front end of PS. It's a separate program, but allows you to view multiple thumbnails, download images, rename them, sort them, etc.

It's not as powerful as Lightroom, but for small volume it is fine.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate