Options

Slovenian Karst

annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
edited November 21, 2007 in Journeys
Did you know that the term "Karst" originates in Slovenia? Karst is a type of landscape that is formed by water dissolving the rock, usually limestone. That way caves with stalagmites and stalactites are formed, and also intermittent lakes and natural bridges.

In Slovenian Karst, there are a couple of natural bridges that were shaped by water. In the summer they are easier to visit as there is no water in the riverbeds. The first one doesn't look really big, does it?
A05-RakovSkocjan-019.jpg

Well, in reality the arch is over a 100 feet tall. :D (A photo with a person in it gives a better sense of size.)
A06-RakovSkocjan-115.jpg

On the other side of the bridge the dry, moss-covered rivedbed leads to a cave in which the river, when there is any, disappears.
A10-RakovSkocjan-093.jpg

How tall is it?
A11-RakovSkocjan-081-HDR.jpg

Wrong! :D Again, appearances can be deceptive. :wink
A12-RakovSkocjan-044.jpg

The entrance chamber is enormous.
A13-RakovSkocjan-063.jpg

Not far from here is another natural bridge:
A17-RakovSkocjan-121.jpg

You can descend into the cave system below.
A20-RakovSkocjan-130.jpg

Reflections in the water:
A22-RakovSkocjan-139.jpg

With almost no water you can walk along this tunnel:
A27-RakovSkocjan-197.jpg

Exit from the underworld: :D
A29-RakovSkocjan-156.jpg

If you look straight up into the sky, this is what you see:
A32-RakovSkocjan-175-HDR.jpg

Confused? Hehe, I'm not surprised. Here's another view:
A31-RakovSkocjan-181-HDR.jpg

This is a wonderful world to explore. If you're interested, read more about Karst in Wikipedia. A while ago I posted a few photos from a trip to Lake Cerknica, an intermittent lake in Slovenia which is also a good example of how Karst works.

I hope you enjoyed my little hike down the underworld! :D

Ana
Ana
SmugMug Support Hero Manager
My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Wow!
    Way cool stuff. (And I love the 'reflections' shot.) But how big is the river when it is there? I get the idea it would be a huge rushing river. But I suppose even a small creek could do that -- given enough time??

thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 12, 2007
    Thanks! :D
    When the river is at its maximum, it's still only a couple of feet deep. And yes, these formations took millions of years to form.

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Awesome structures. That could make for some magical lighting conditions.

Thanks for posting these Ana.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    As always...great set of photos......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    geralds34geralds34 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Is this area close to the Postojna Caves ?
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Great region, nice photos either mwink.gif

Anyway I prefer original name - Kras.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kras
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    ArchiTexasArchiTexas Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Amazing shots, truly a wonderland. Where, exactly, is this beautiful place? We have many karst features in central Texas, and the term is used frequently here; but I had no idea the word originated in Slovenia!
    http://erfphotoart.com

Olympus E510 and Gigapan mount
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Awesome structures. That could make for some magical lighting conditions.

Thanks for posting these Ana.

Regards,

Peter
    Thanks, Peter! :D
    The conditions are extremely demanding for a photographer as the light is all over the place, from pitch darkness to overwhelming brightness. In most cases, a tripod and multiple exposures are the way to go.

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    As always...great set of photos......
    Thanks, Art! :D

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    geralds34 wrote:
    Is this area close to the Postojna Caves ?
    Yes, actually this is all in a ten-mile radius. Have you been to the Postojna Caves?

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    z_28 wrote:
    Great region, nice photos either mwink.gif

Anyway I prefer original name - Kras.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kras
    Thanks!
    As for the name, I prefer Kras too as this is the way we say it here in Slovenia, but it's called differently in other parts of the world. In English it's Karst, and had I said Kras, nobody would have understood what I was talking about. mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    ArchiTexas wrote:
    Amazing shots, truly a wonderland. Where, exactly, is this beautiful place? We have many karst features in central Texas, and the term is used frequently here; but I had no idea the word originated in Slovenia!
    This beautiful place is in the southwestern part of Slovenia (the pink area on the map). Maybe we should use Karst more to promote the country! rolleyes1.gif

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    OMG what a place thanks for sharing these great photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Excellent! Thanks for the tour. Most informative, all new stuff to me. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    geralds34geralds34 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Yes, actually this is all in a ten-mile radius. Have you been to the Postojna Caves?

Ana
    Yes - Spent about 7 months in Krsko area in 1995. Aren't caves called Jama? The train ride down to the caves was scary, kept thinking I would hit my head on teh rock hanging down, the lights flicking on/off add to the affect. Many trips to Triglav, Maribor, Celje, LJU, Kranska Gora, sailed the coast to Mali Losinj. Odd weekend in Graz, Innsbruck, Venice...Budapest etc. Really miss the area , hope to go back in a few years on a motorcycle tour.
  • Options
    pantherlaxpantherlax Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Wow, great shots! No way that the first two are the same cave! Pretty amazing
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Incredible Ana. One of these days I'm going to venture out of my eastern US cave to see some of these unbelievable sites in person. Until then, I'll continue to live vicariously through your images. :D
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    Thanks, everybody! :D

@Gerald: I thought you must have visited the area before. mwink.gif

@Travis: Hehe, caves are nice, just not to live in. rolleyes1.gif

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Lovely images. I always love the unique perspectives and wide angles you use in your images. Great.