My First Robber Fly

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited November 14, 2007 in Holy Macro
Thought it was a misquito at first glance.
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Hmmm
    Nice. What's the lens?
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    garyt wrote:
    Thought it was a misquito at first glance.

Ohhhhh those Robber flys are frightful looking critters aren't they.
    The size of them is enough to pump fear in most people,
    as well as the thought of maybe getting bitten or stung by it.

Good shot Gary thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    xris wrote:
    Nice. What's the lens?

Thanks Xris. 100mm with a full set of tubes. Lately everything has been small, so I have been leaving the tubes on all the time.

Skippy, Thanks for the comments. It was a surprize. Do these things bite? By the way, how do I answer multiple quotes in the same reply. I noticed you did that in another post. ne_nau.gif
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    garyt wrote:
    100mm with a full set of tubes

Is it a Canon 100m Macro? EF-S? headscratch.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
    edited November 12, 2007
    xris wrote:
    Is it a Canon 100m Macro? EF-S? headscratch.gif

Xris--Yes, it's a Canon 100mm f2.8 EF series lens (the 60mm comes in EF-S). I have a full set of Kenko tubes (68mm), and that gets me about all I can handle, hand held, at this point. If you can find something to rest on, it's not bad at all, since you are only a few inches away from the subject. I would like to try an MPE-65, but not sure if I'm ready for that yet. I'm still learning a lot.
    Gary
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    lovely capture- hate to tell you but not a robberfly but a window Gnat. Think most robber flies are in the 1 to 2 " size range.
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    lovely capture- hate to tell you but not a robberfly but a window Gnat. Think most robber flies are in the 1 to 2 " size range.
    Brian V.

Ahahaha, well it got me too, I thought it was a young Robber Fly rolleyes1.gif
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited November 13, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Ahahaha, well it got me too, I thought it was a young Robber Fly rolleyes1.gif
    .... Skippy :D

Come on skippy you know better than that :)- you don't get jouvenile sized flies they are born as full sized adults. That doesn't mean the adults don't vary in size though - depends on how much food the larva got through.

Brian V.
  • patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Great shot....

Patricia........:D
    edited November 13, 2007
    Thanks Brian
    Brian V.

Brian--I looked up the window gnat on the web (it's not in either of my books) and you are 100% correct. Positive ID (Sylvicola fenestralis). clap.gif Thanks so much. :ivar I had another shot of it's back that helped me. The body does look close to the robber fly though, you must admit, but the wings look different now that I see the two side by side. The other shot is attached.

Thanks all for the comments. Always great to find a new bug, and get a decent shot of it.
    Gary
    edited November 14, 2007
    garyt wrote:
    Brian--I looked up the window gnat on the web (it's not in either of my books) and you are 100% correct. Positive ID (Sylvicola fenestralis). clap.gif Thanks so much. :ivar I had another shot of it's back that helped me. The body does look close to the robber fly though, you must admit, but the wings look different now that I see the two side by side. The other shot is attached.

Thanks all for the comments. Always great to find a new bug, and get a decent shot of it.

Agree - does look similar but think all the robber flies are just a lot bigger with more muscular legs (he says having never seen one in the flesh).

Brian V.
  • AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Brian V.

NOt sure if you 2 are serious but it sure looks like a robber fly to me. And yes they do bite the nasty little critters. We get them almost in plague proportion up in the mountains about an hours drive from here. BUt you are ringht they are up to an inch in size, here is one I shot at our local lake about a week ago. Pretty much alseep early in the morning, but we did "Bug" him a little too much and eventually fly away.

219556067-L.jpg