IR Surfers

joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
edited November 12, 2007 in Sports
Hi all,

I've never done much sports photography but I've recently been shooting a few of my workmates who go surfing at the beach a block away from work. On friday I took out my IR converted 10D and quite like how they turned out.

Also in this gallery: http://www.ogle.co.nz/gallery/3794728/

219236228-L-1.jpg

219236310-L-1.jpg

220195115-L-1.jpg

it was a busy day, there are 11 surfers in this pic:

219236256-M-1.jpg
jamesOgle photography
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]

Comments

• Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    IR newb here, but don't you need relatively long exposures for IR? Or is there a differentiation between using an IR filter and an IR "camera?"

Cool shots, by the way! #3 i my fav mwink.gif

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Thanks Van.

Yes I modded my Canon 10D to only "see" IR. It involves taking the camera apart. Taking out the protective glass filter that's over the sensor, it blocks out UV and IR light, and replacing it with a filter of the right size that only lets through IR light. Then you don't need extra filters on your lens

Then the camera has the same sensitivity as it did before, you need to think about what you are shooting and adjust your exposure by a stop or two, grass and plants are 2 stops brighter then normal in direct sunlight, and water and the sky are 2 to 3 stops darker. Other things take some experimenting and chimping to get right.

If you are just using an IR filter on the front of your lens, you basically have one filter that blocks everything but IR and one that blocks IR inside so you have to use huge shutter lengths to get any image, also you have to take off the filter to frame and focus.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]