Painted Lady Butterfly

AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
edited November 13, 2007 in Holy Macro
This is a shot of the Australian Painted Lady Butterfly with its wings up. I am told it is twice as pretty when they open them but I never got to see that. Maybe next time.

220147048-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Wonderful shot Ralph, great composition ,colour and light.
    I may be in a minority but I think the undrwings are much more interesting than the top wings.
    Brian V.
  • AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Thaks Brian,

I thought this was part of the "Skipper" family untill I had it identified for me, certainly does have the shape of the "Blue skippers" I have Photographed. At least when the sit like this they seem less likely to fly off than when they have their wings out. Thanks for looking, the forums here are a tad slow One wonders what one has to do these days to get people excited and invlved like they used to in the early daysne_nau.gif I have been running and moderating forums for neigh on 12 years and seen many changes in that time and it seems most now just want a quick fix, take what they can get and contribute little. Nice to see this isn't the case here and with Smugmug in general. Just nudging my way in here gentlymwink.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Aussieroo wrote:
    Thaks Brian,

I thought this was part of the "Skipper" family untill I had it identified for me, certainly does have the shape of the "Blue skippers" I have Photographed. At least when the sit like this they seem less likely to fly off than when they have their wings out. Thanks for looking, the forums here are a tad slow One wonders what one has to do these days to get people excited and invlved like they used to in the early daysne_nau.gif I have been running and moderating forums for neigh on 12 years and seen many changes in that time and it seems most now just want a quick fix, take what they can get and contribute little. Nice to see this isn't the case here and with Smugmug in general. Just nudging my way in here gentlymwink.gif

Think we have a cosy forum here (I don't mean not challenging) :)

The butterfly looks the same as the UK version - had a late Autumn one in my garden last week

Brian V.

1914209125_764cb76eb0.jpg
    edited November 13, 2007
    You would have to say that is very similar for sure. I have heard butterflies migrate over many hundreds if not thousands of kilometers. This does seem to have more defined marking edges. I don't know how the differentiate between the species but maybe you had an Aussie visitor and didn't know it rolleyes1.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Aussieroo wrote:
    This is a shot of the Australian Painted Lady Butterfly with its wings up. I am told it is twice as pretty when they open them but I never got to see that. Maybe next time.

That is a real pretty shot Aussieroo clap.gif
    Looks like it is posing for you.
    Lovely detail, and the tiny traces of webs on the flowers.

Hardly ever see coloured butterflies in my area,
    most are just White.

Beautiful Shot ......... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Hmmm
    I suppose you could say this is a 'hand-held' shot? rolleyes1.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    I love butterflies and this is a great shot...such a pretty one....
    Havent seen that one in my part of the world...yet...

Patricia........:D
    edited November 13, 2007
    xris wrote:
    I suppose you could say this is a 'hand-held' shot? rolleyes1.gif

Does bring a whole new meaning to "Hand held" doesn't it??rolleyes1.gif