Options

Huge Challenge Ahead

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited December 9, 2007 in Finishing School
I have three basketball team photos, and each team had at least two members miss the first shoot. I did a second shoot. Unfortunately, I set the precedent last year of making a composite team photo adding in the other players. Expectations are that I will do so again this year, but the lighting is drastically different. To complicate matters, I had a pretty big brain fart when I set the kids up, and I didn't shoot each one alone. To really complicate matters, I have switched editing programs, and don't know my way around PSCS3 well enough yet!
So I've read the threads in the sticky that are relevant. Any advice? Tips to make this 'dead-easy'?

Thanks

ann

Comments

• Options
    HugoHugo Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    If you provide me with the pictures, I could have a try and make it for you, and make a little tutorial also. ;)
    Hugo Royer
    www.hroyer.com

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
    Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    Okay, I took the time to work on this today.
    The thing that strikes me, beside the obvious difference in brightness between the original and the two that I have added, is the overall color. This was adjusted using the skin tone tute, and the skin tones are good as far as Y,M and C are concerned. However I think the resulting image is overall far too green now. Anyway, I did not find an elegant way to do this - just select, copy-paste, and erase. Learned where more controls are in doing so.

Kelby has a tutorial in his CS3 book that involves the clone stamp, but I wasn't able to effectively remove the girls from the background.

227924314-M.jpg
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Try

Image>Adjustments>Match Color
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Try

Image>Adjustments>Match Color

Ahhh! Excellent. Thank you.

I did that on the merged image - cuz I don't think I've saved an unmerged completed one - can this be done on an unmerged image, or am I correct in thinking then it would only get applied to one layer?

Anyway, that seemed to help with the overall difference in brightness, but threw the Y,M, C balance off again so I redid that. This is the result:
    227947599-M.jpg

I don't see doing more edting to this image except for learning purposes, but do have two more composite team photos to make so any more help is truely appreciated.

Thanks again, David

ann
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    I would use it to match colors before merging. Match the new image to the old one first, then paste it in.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I would use it to match colors before merging. Match the new image to the old one first, then paste it in.

Yep, that makes sense - but can you back up to beginner level - open both images and then .....

Thanks David.
    ann
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Yep, that makes sense - but can you back up to beginner level - open both images and then .....

Thanks David.
    ann

JFriend links to a tute, here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    Excellent. Thank You. clap.gif
    DavidTO wrote:
    JFriend links to a tute, here.
  • Options
    LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    It looks like the hair extraction on the two additions is a little awkward and it stands out some.
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    LittleLew wrote:
    It looks like the hair extraction on the two additions is a little awkward and it stands out some.
    I agree. A little bit of blurring around the hairline makes it less noticeable:

p333006114.jpg

Still not perfect, though.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    Well, I sat down and got them done today, and learned a whole lot about photoshop functions while doing so.

I think the blur brush is my new best friend! And working on the big screens is really, really nice.

Next challenge is to figure the desk/chair/ mouse height out properly because my arm is killing me!

ann