Options

Please help me with PP on this curvy shot

broby6broby6 Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited November 15, 2007 in Technique
This is a recent shot of some fields in N California. I was struck by the symmetry of the curves and that is what I want to emphasize. #1 is the original pic and #2 is a cropped and enhanced(?) version. I felt that there was too much extraneous detail in #1, so the questions are 1) does the crop work or can it be improved, and 2) is there too much sharpening and color enhancement? I'm really a neophyte at PP.
Thanks, broby6

220792307-L.jpg

220795777-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    220945468-M.jpg

Maybe a crop like this. Not a regular size, and slightly rotated.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited November 13, 2007
    broby6 wrote:
    1) does the crop work or can it be improved, and 2) is there too much sharpening and color enhancement?

The crop is a major improvement. Bham is right that it could use a slight clockwise rotation. I would move the selection up a bit to show a bit of horizon and eliminate the rough ground in the lower right.

The color and sharpening are also good. Maybe just a bit more shadow contrast to bring out the texture of the furrows.

You're definitely on the right track.

Regards,
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Clone out the building and poles, rotate as indicated by bham, and crop as you did the first example.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 13, 2007
    broby, welcome to dgrin.

This image suffers from a number of issues, but does have appealing lines, curves and repetition themes. It suffers from too much unappealing foreground, low contrast, and lack of color saturation.

I cropped of the bottom, kept the mountains in the background, rotated the image a bit, and increased the contrast and color a bit in the image. Basically I did separate curves for the far distant background and the green fields in the foreground.

I downloaded the image you posted, opened it in RAW to get a warmer lighting, and then did the curves in Photoshop CS3
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    The graphic nature of this image just begs for a B&W conversion.

p393388381.jpg
  • Options
    broby6broby6 Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Thanks everyone for you helpful suggestions, examples and encouragement. When I took the picture I only had eyes for the curving furrows, and didn't pay enough attention to overall composition. The examples you've provided improve the shot a lot, but I now can see that original had too many faults to post process it into a really good image. It really helps to get the perspective of others when you are learning like this.
    Pathfinder, your treatment helps to minimize the background mountains, which act as a second focal point and distract from the curves. I hadn't thought of monochrome, but pyrtek's version shows that it is tonal quality and not color that is the key element here. I also like bham's minimalist approach. I'm playing around with a similar approach and if I get anything that works well I'll post a followup.
    broby6
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    As you said in your original post you liked the symmetry and wanted to emphasize that. I believe the buildings, mountains, etc distract from that. Not sure if you can get a better angle next time you shoot (ie a higher vantage point to isolate just the fields and to have less background).
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Crop
    I like the B&W the best The one above is unaturally colored. If there is enough info in the file try cropping everything but the field