Non-public categories?

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I suspect this isn't easy, but perhaps it's possible with some JS or something. I want to make a non-public category, so that people can find it easily if they know it' s name, but not otherwise (not by browsing, in particular.)

So: http://ruttpix.com/event_with_pics_of_children would get them there and then they would be able to browse galleries there. But this particular category would be suppressed from the galleries shown on the main page. Now that I put it like that, it even seems more possible. All I really want is a way to suppress showing a particular category on my main page.

Any ideas?
If not now, when?

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    I suspect this isn't easy, but perhaps it's possible with some JS or something. I want to make a non-public category, so that people can find it easily if they know it' s name, but not otherwise (not by browsing, in particular.)

So: http://ruttpix.com/event_with_pics_of_children would get them there and then they would be able to browse galleries there. But this particular category would be suppressed from the galleries shown on the main page. Now that I put it like that, it even seems more possible. All I really want is a way to suppress showing a particular category on my main page.

Any ideas?
    Here ya go, will hide the category from any browse page.

Ref thread here.

Place this in your footer section. Replace red with your category.

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">

function delCategory() {
    re = /\/(client%20galleries)$/;

var oList = YD.getElementsByClassName('miniBox', 'div', this);

for (i = 0; i < oList.length; i++) {
    if (re.test(oList.getElementsByTagName('a')[0].href))
    oList.parentNode.removeChild(oList);
    }
    }
    YE.onContentReady('categoriesBox', delCategory);

<!--<b--><!--<b--></script>
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    rutt wrote:

Any ideas?

Sharegroup with private galleries is the most hidden. Or sharegroup + vanity URL is less hidden, but can have a pretty name.

Even less hidden is a regular public category and just use CSS/JS to hide it's existence on the home page, but it's existence would still be in the HTML page, just not visible to people not looking at the HTML and since it's public, it would probably also be searchable. I guess which option depends upon whether you want it casually not visible are really hard to find without you giving them an URL.

I, personally, do categories full of password protected galleries for school events and give all the galleries in one category/sub-category the same password. This makes it so that viewers only have to enter the password on the first gallery. This, of course, makes the existence of the category and the galleries within public, but not the content of the galleries which is different than what you asked.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Thanks, guys! I used John's suggestion of a vanity URL with a non-public gallery. Good enough security for this purpose I'd say.
    If not now, when?