Rule Clarification - EXIF

ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited November 14, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
The rules stipulate that pictures without proper EXIF will be disqualified. Is it ok to just type in the EXIF or it must be linked? I am asking because one of the top 10 pictures in SF #3 has no link to its EXIF. I am just trying to clarify for everyone's benefit.

Thanks --JY

Comments

• fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    ifocus wrote:
    The rules stipulate that pictures without proper EXIF will be disqualified. Is it ok to just type in the EXIF or it must be linked? I am asking because one of the top 10 pictures in SF #3 has no link to its EXIF. I am just trying to clarify for everyone's benefit.

Thanks --JY

The rules say "Entries must have exif embedded or appended. Click here and here for help. Photos entered without proper exif showing a clear shot date will be disqualified. "

To me, embedded is when you can click on the photo to see the EXIF and appended is when a link for the EXIF is provided. But, I agree, as the stakes are high here, there should be clarification.

Mods - can you help out??
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    ifocus wrote:

Thanks --JY

Not an official response, but the exif can be linked or embedded.

So if you are referring the Shatch's entry, he has used the same approach that he used in SF2 where the exif is not linked and it doesn't appear in Opanda or exiftool etc., but if you go looking, it is clearly there.

You can see it here

http://exifphotography.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=219890612

The main purpose of the exif is to show that the photo is fresh and there's no doubt about that.

I hope that helps and sorry to the mods if you would prefer to reply instead, and also sorry if I'm discussing the wrong photo. Just delete this post.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Dr. It validates all entries using some magical process. The real rule is you must convince him that the image is fresh. Linking the EXIF is the preferred way to do that.
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Thanks for your input
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Dr. It validates all entries using some magical process. The real rule is you must convince him that the image is fresh. Linking the EXIF is the preferred way to do that.

Thanks, this is clearer. I though that it was important to clarfiy.

JY
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 13, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    wave.gif

There are indeed several ways to skin this cat. As the topic has been clarified to death, here are some links (from the first post of each entry thread):

I still don't know how to link my exif!
    Are you kidding? I STILL don't know how to link exif!

so, iFocus, if we use that method from the first link above:
    http://tesseract.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=219890612

better? :D

would I prefer that shatch did that for me? definitely! but would I disqualify him for just typing it when the information is there? nope.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    wave.gif

There are indeed several ways to skin this cat. As the topic has been clarified to death, here are some links (from the first post of each entry thread):

I still don't know how to link my exif!
    Are you kidding? I STILL don't know how to link exif!

so, iFocus, if we use that method from the first link above:
    http://tesseract.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=219890612

better? :D

would I prefer that shatch did that for me? definitely! but would I disqualify him for just typing it when the information is there? nope.

Actually, I would like to raise my hand and say that Shatch should be disqualified for SURE for this! (That's the only way I'll win... rolleyes1.gif )

Thanks for your consideration! eek7.gif
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    A final word ...
    Actually, I would like to raise my hand and say that Shatch should be disqualified for SURE for this! (That's the only way I'll win... rolleyes1.gif )

Thanks for your consideration! eek7.gif

I did not want to suggest that anybody should have been disqualified but I guess EXIF shall be public and accessible by everyone easily. This is probably what I wanted to express at the first place. LPS is amonst the best contests I ever entered as it challenges me to stretch my limit and my learnings. Rules are just there to level the playing field, Cheers --JY
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    ifocus wrote:
    I did not want to suggest that anybody should have been disqualified ....

I think Andi was just joking because she's currently figting it out with Shatch for the public award in the vote from SF3.

So don't worry too much.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate