keyword search / other "backdoor" attempts

J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited November 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Well I am starting a different thread instead of going along with papajays thread on "Keyword Privacy for Dummies" that he started on 7/20/06 but had recently appeared again in this forum. I'm hoping one of the moderators or even Andy can answer this question so I can be assured that I have done what I need to do.

I realize that there is difficulty when balancing both keyword functionality, searchability and most importantly, privacy and security. Papajay mentioned that anyone can use the smugname name/keyword search and see "ALL" of a users keywords used within his/her site, EVEN when some keywords are attached to private galleries or password protected, or both.

I am like some smuggers who use their site for both professional and personal posting of pictures. I was unaware that keywords show up on searches in private and password protected galleries. I have since deleted all keywords that I do not want searched in the event some "perv" was looking for such photos, i.e. my family or children doing everyday kids stuff for example. I have other smug featurs enabled as a pro user, i.e. right click protect and watermarking but I guess my main questions are:

1. are there any other "back door" ways for finding pictures in my site in my password protected galleries and PRIVATE galleries that I / or other smuggers don't know about?

2. by deleting keywords and making galleries private, are they pretty much SAFE from "pervs" or ordinary "hackers" that may try to get into my account or into galleries?

3. I guess captions would also be a searchable item in smugmug searches too, right? maybe I should be deleting those as well that I don't want searched, right?

4. I have my most of my personal and professional pictures backed up with smugmug in private galleries and are these relatively safe with these safeguards that I mentioned above? Or should I be deleting these altogether now!

Thanks for your input with this lengthy thread! :dunno
John "J.T."
http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams

Comments