2 more China photos

NicoleNicole Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited March 10, 2005 in People
Here are 2 more photos that I liked from our trip to China. The first was taken at the entrance to the Forbidden City, and the second was taken outside the Temple of Heaven. Let me know what you think, and thanks for taking the time to look:D .
Nicole

Comments

• NicoleNicole Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    the second photo
    Here is the second photo.
  • BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    #1 I like the color in this shot! You might think about cropping the bottom to a bit below his heal. Keep in the line, as it is almost parallel to his leg (a cool trick!).

#2 Great expression, I only with the end of the flute (:insert appropriate muical intument name here:) was in focus. Perhaps a smaller apperture value would have helped bring it in focus.

Overall great shots with interesting subjects. I enjoy seeing your work thumb.gif
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 8, 2005
    Nicole,

I agree with BC. The first one would benefit from a little cropping. I love the second one thumb.gifthumb.gif A very interesting subject. To me this pic is all about his eyes, his lips and his fingers. And their interaction that this shot captures. Personally, I'd like to see these 3 areas a touch sharper (selective sharpening if possible, maybe using a layer mask, without sharpening the rest of the shot).

They are very nice as is, but I think you can make them even more viewable clap.gif This is just one person's opinion, take it with a grain of salt (and maybe a shot of tequilla :slurp )....lol

Thanks for sharing these Nicole. That trip must have been a blast.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 8, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    #1 I like the color in this shot! You might think about cropping the bottom to a bit below his heal. Keep in the line, as it is almost parallel to his leg (a cool trick!).

#2 Great expression, I only with the end of the flute (:insert appropriate muical intument name here:) was in focus. Perhaps a smaller apperture value would have helped bring it in focus.

Overall great shots with interesting subjects. I enjoy seeing your work thumb.gif
    Thank you BridgeCity. I cropped the first one as suggested and I do like it better. I agree with you on the second one. He was under a roof and there wasn't much light. Thanks for the suggestions:):
    Nicole
    edited March 8, 2005
    Nicole,

I agree with BC. The first one would benefit from a little cropping. I love the second one thumb.gifthumb.gif A very interesting subject. To me this pic is all about his eyes, his lips and his fingers. And their interaction that this shot captures. Personally, I'd like to see these 3 areas a touch sharper (selective sharpening if possible, maybe using a layer mask, without sharpening the rest of the shot).

They are very nice as is, but I think you can make them even more viewable clap.gif This is just one person's opinion, take it with a grain of salt (and maybe a shot of tequilla :slurp )....lol

Thanks for sharing these Nicole. That trip must have been a blast.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I agree with you about sharpening. I just don't know how to do it. I have photoshop elements 2 and you can't do a mask with it. I have a trial version of Paint Shop Pro and it has masks, but I haven't figured it out yetne_nau.gif . The trip was a wonderful, I can't wait to go back.
    Nicole
    edited March 9, 2005
    Nicole wrote:
    Thank you BridgeCity. I cropped the first one as suggested and I do like it better. I agree with you on the second one. He was under a roof and there wasn't much light. Thanks for the suggestions:):
    Nicole
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Love that shot!
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Hi Nicole!
    Great shots you've taken there! :):

I really can't give much advice on improving then, because friends BC and Steve C. already did a good job on that!

I'd only like to point out that it looks like you got pretty close to your subjects in both shots, and, at least to me, that's a kind of a secret (only that it's no secret at all) to get good people shots! Way to go! :D

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
    edited March 9, 2005
    OK, I tried selective sharpening. I read the tutorial on masks/layers on dgrin and followed somewhat the procedure used by Thiago in his soft light portrait. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and encouragement. Here is the result. If it still needs more work let me know.eek7.gif

Nicole
    ps I am really enjoying this forum.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Two very nice shots Nicole. I love the color in the first one and think the crop is much better. I love the second one too but on my monitor it's a little soft.clap.gif
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 10, 2005
    Nicole wrote:
    OK, I tried selective sharpening. I read the tutorial on masks/layers on dgrin and followed somewhat the procedure used by Thiago in his soft light portrait. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and encouragement. Here is the result. If it still needs more work let me know.eek7.gif

Nicole
    ps I am really enjoying this forum.
    Nicole,
    I think this version looks better thumb.gifthumb.gif

Nice work for your first time clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 10, 2005
    Nicole,
    I think this version looks better thumb.gifthumb.gif

Nice work for your first time clap.gif

Steve
    Agreed 100% thumb.gif
  • motimoti Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    I love these photos Nicole, they are really nice. I was in Chine few months ago and your pictures bring back some nice memories.
    Thanks for sharring
    Moti
    edited March 10, 2005
    moti wrote:
    I love these photos Nicole, they are really nice. I was in Chine few months ago and your pictures bring back some nice memories.
    Thanks for sharring
    Moti
    Thanks Moti. I saw your post of the arrest in China and thought the same thing. That was a great shot that I never would have had the nerve to take.thumb.gif Nicole