photoshop saving

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited November 15, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Hello, I was wondering about saving pictures after editing them in photoshop. Some will save them with the photoshop extension . It seems to be a good idea since one can always go back to it and see what has been done, but the file is huge 65 MB . I save my pictures in JPG 6 MB, because I have so many of them.
What do you think:dunno

Also what does the flatten image do when saving in photoshop?

BP
:photo

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited November 15, 2007
    Hello, I was wondering about saving pictures after editing them in photoshop. Some will save them with the photoshop extension . It seems to be a good idea since one can always go back to it and see what has been done, but the file is huge 65 MB . I save my pictures in JPG 6 MB, because I have so many of them.
    What do you thinkne_nau.gif

Also what does the flatten image do when saving in photoshop?

BP

It really depends on how often and how important it is to be able to quickly go back and make changes to a processed pic. As you see, PSD files consume a lot of storage space, so you will need a large external disk if you go that route.

If you only want to "see what has been done" you can use the "history log" instead. See Preferences->General->History Log and set it to detailed. This will save a very detailed description of each step you followed.

FWIW, I save the original RAW file and a very high quality JPEG of the finished file and use detailed logging to a text file. Works for me, but there is no correct answer here--needs and circumstances differ.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Why the cross-posting? ne_nau.gif See my answer in your other thread (mods: merge them?)
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited November 15, 2007
    Why the cross-posting? ne_nau.gif See my answer in your other thread (mods: merge them?)

Hah! I thought I was going nuts there for a moment...I couldn't see the response I posted, then I responded again and there were two copies of my response. I didn't realize there were two threads.

Yeah, these should be merged.
  • BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Hah! I thought I was going nuts there for a moment...I couldn't see the response I posted, then I responded again and there were two copies of my response. I didn't realize there were two threads.

Yeah, these should be merged.

sorry about the cross posting11doh.gif one is enough right?

I see what you mean. I think that If I were shooting for a living taking astonishing pictures of landscapes I would probably save it in PSD, but for the time being I save it as JPEG at the highest resolution (12).
    BP
    :photo