wintertime blahs

two slowtwo slow Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited November 27, 2007 in Cameras
The leaves are about all gone around here. It is starting to get cool out, starting to sprinkle. Its so dark out the I just about need the headlights on.
Its been kind of blah for a couple days now. Last winter I didn't have a camera. What to do. I want to shoot some today, but what?
What do you all do when things get like this? I'm going to ask this a few places to get as many different ideas as possible.
D50, 28-105mm, 150mm, 300mm f/4

Comments

• GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Its a fair question. I'm about a month ahead of you on the winter topic.

There is a good ongoing thread about shooting in the snow.

I'm thinking of setting up a little studio in my unfinished basement to do some macro and still life photography.

A few weeks ago I went out and shot some bleak landscapes. Didn't know what else to do. Some of them turned out fairly well:

http://grainbelt.smugmug.com/gallery/3787828#218453388
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Think in monochrome - makes winter extremely exciting!
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    two slow wrote:
    The leaves are about all gone around here. It is starting to get cool out, starting to sprinkle. Its so dark out the I just about need the headlights on.
    Its been kind of blah for a couple days now. Last winter I didn't have a camera. What to do. I want to shoot some today, but what?
    What do you all do when things get like this? I'm going to ask this a few places to get as many different ideas as possible.

Trees without leaves can make great images. Sure, no color, but the shapes can be great.

Shots of buildings can be easier without all of those pesky leaves blocking parts of the buildings.

City shots don't change all that much when winter comes.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    I know what you mean--winter----blah, but I have found something that is interesting. I'm shooting some in sepia. I like how it is turning out. Very eerie. Mono is nice to and have done that also.

Also I'm doing alot of looking down for something interesting instead of looking out at all the barren trees, etc. Yesterday took some photos of a wasp nest that had gotten blown down. The winds were gusting to 50 mph and it was a cloudy/sleeting day---ish.

I did go out and get a used 4 wheel drive to hit the prairie in the dead of winter and after snow storms. So now I'm waiting for a big one to hit :D No...I'm not made of money as the Ol' Buick was ready to be traded in.

I'm also using this time to scope out some locations to shoot and try to imporve my Photoshop skills :D
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Look for clear days - the sun angle works great for landscapes because the sun is much lower in the sky, making for generally better lighting and dramatic shadows.

And on the overcast days? Portraits!
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Like James said, trees can make for an interesting scene. But I guess it's all in what you want. I was dodging rain drops for this one today...
    221823259-M.jpg
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Yes, the northern hemisphere winter blahhhhhhs.

I'm fortunate to live in a relatively older city (for North America) that has numerous buildings dating from around the turn of the century (not the latest turn:D ). High up above the street (where few people look), the original facades are intact, detailed and often wonderfully coloured. With a moderate telephoto zoom, there is a world of interesting subjects close at hand.

Without this, it's depression time.:cry
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • two slowtwo slow Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    So many wonderful ideas. When i get a chance I will sit down and make a list to share with everyone.
    And thank you all for the participation.
    D50, 28-105mm, 150mm, 300mm f/4
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Sheesh, at least things change. Sometimes it's hard living here in SoCal, always (well, almost) sunny. Darn roses insist on still blooming. No snow. Christmas at the beach in shorts & flip-flops. :D

I have a trip to Zion NP in a few weeks & can't wait to get out to see the winter look there.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    time to go..
    macro...
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    i guess i wait for those awesome snowy days when the sky is blue?
    I love the mountains in winter :)

Luckily in Switzerland there are an abundance of mountains around ;)

Otherwise yeah it's pretty bleak - what about going to a car museum for example and shooting handheld with image stabilisation - practise getting a steady hand

I just shot a lot indoors at the Mercedes-Benz Museum and was really happy how some turned out - considering 1/30 ISO800 and f4 (approx) handheld with very difficult lighting - well they turned out nice for me anyway :)

Jase