Options

Saving In Photoshop

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited November 16, 2007 in Finishing School
Hello, I was wondering about saving pictures after editing them in photoshop. Some will save them with the photoshop extension . It seems to be a good idea since one can always go back to it and see what has been done, but the file is huge 65 MB . I save my pictures in JPG 6 MB, because I have so many of them.
What do you think:dunno

Also what does the flatten image do when saving in photoshop?
:photo

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    It depends on what you want to do with the file. When I anticipate further edits down the road, I'll save in PSD format to retain my layers, 16-bit color, etc. If I'm done and no further edits are expected, I'll save to JPEG, which involves flattening and conversion to 8-bit RGB.

Flattening the image is just that. All your layers get merged down into one. This is necessary to save in formats that do not suport multiple layers like JPEG.
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    It depends on what you want to do with the file. When I anticipate further edits down the road, I'll save in PSD format to retain my layers, 16-bit color, etc. If I'm done and no further edits are expected, I'll save to JPEG, which involves flattening and conversion to 8-bit RGB.

Flattening the image is just that. All your layers get merged down into one. This is necessary to save in formats that do not suport multiple layers like JPEG.

Sorry about the cross thread.
    Ok JPEG is for me then. flattening the image is for PSD only, right?

thank you

BP
    :photo
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Pretty much what Chris said..
    Hello, I was wondering about saving pictures after editing them in photoshop. Some will save them with the photoshop extension . It seems to be a good idea since one can always go back to it and see what has been done, but the file is huge 65 MB . I save my pictures in JPG 6 MB, because I have so many of them.
    What do you thinkne_nau.gif
    Get a bigger hard drive if you think your gonna do edits down the road. If your pretty certain it's not going to be photshopped again *i.e. the 6oooth shot of your dog! Just save the jpeg. If it's a favorite shot or potential portfolio stuff, save the .psd's. Memory is pretty cheap though and it gives you an opportunity to back up your pictures.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    What do you thinkne_nau.gif

Also what does the flatten image do when saving in photoshop?

What type of editing are you talking about. I don't save .psd files of images where I have done just levels or curves adjustments. Any images that I have done masking etc I save as .psd before flattening because of all the time it took to do the masking and occasionally I will want to come back and tweak the mask, create a clipping mask to adjust just that layer, change layers below it, etc. That way I don't have to start over. Also images that I have invested that much time into are usually more important to me and having another copy never hurts.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Sorry about the cross thread.
    Ok JPEG is for me then. flattening the image is for PSD only, right?

thank you

BP

No, no, no. Go back & re-read my last post. deal.gif PSD allows layers, JPEG does not.

If space is a concern, like SloYerRoll said, get another drive. Last I looked 3/4 of a terabyte is less than $200 now. That said, I do two things to reduce storage space requirements: one I only convert RAWs that I feel are worth the effort and will get released. Two, I only retain the PSD/TIFF on the few hero files that have any significant pixel editing. So maybe 20% of my RAWs get converted at all and 1% of those retain a working PSD/TIFF file.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 16, 2007
    I save the original RAW file of course, and a level 10 or 12 grade jpg on multiple drives and DVDs.

I am beginning to think that I should be saving .psd's for images that I have extensive editing, with masks, as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    After editing I'll save a 16 bit Tiff file, and a full size Jpg. Then I'll convert my Raw file to Dng and burn it to a DVD.
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member