Twilight over Point Reyes

LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
edited November 16, 2007 in Landscapes
I drove out to Point Reyes yesterday thinking we might have an interesting sky. It wasn't as dramatic as I was hoping for, but I liked this shot enough to give it some love in Photoshop.

221857321-L.jpg

I almost posted this in the Whipping Post, so don't feel like you are obliged to be kind...

Comments

• Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    This turned out wellthumb.gif But there appears to be some mushy spots where the there should be detail. Maybe during the stitching process some detail became overlapped? The moon is also working well but appears unnaturally largeheadscratch.gif If it is natural than GREAT!
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    This turned out wellthumb.gif But there appears to be some mushy spots where the there should be detail. Maybe during the stitching process some detail became overlapped? The moon is also working well but appears unnaturally largeheadscratch.gif If it is natural than GREAT!

Thanks!

About the moon, it is the moon from that night, but the one is in the original shot was hopelessly overexposed so I pasted one in from another shot taken just afterward and yes, the new one is a bit bigger than the original. Its still in a separate layer (on top of the original) so if I start feeling guilty, I'll shrink it to the proper size.

This was taken with a 15mm fish, so it isn't a stitched pano. However, I did bracket (3 exposures, 1 2/3 stops apart) and blend by hand in Photoshop. The mushiness is likely due to my somewhat clumsy job of blending. I was a bit cavalier about my mask gradients, particularly in the water. I should go see if I can make a cleaner break.
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 16, 2007
    Love it! Wonderful mood. I see you too have resorted to placing the horizon centrally, but hey that's fisheye for ya. mwink.gif Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with a central horizon, but some people find fault with it in every single picture. rolleyes1.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Thanks.

I am still trying to get the hang of the fish. It definitely presents some framing challenges. Here is an offbeat thing I tried last night:

222076100-L.jpg

I am not sure how I feel about the diagonal horizon but at least is makes full use of the 180 degree field of view. I am tempted to frame it and hang it at an angle. I took series of the same scene to stitch, but the clouds were moving so it isn't going together very well.