Options

Any good PS walk thu's?? (CS3)

Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited November 19, 2007 in Finishing School
I just got CS3 and I look forward to using it, but I am a COMPLETE NEWB to Photo Shop... I have absolutely NO idea what the heck I am doing!! Any good walk thru's on Youtube or any other site? Preferably video, I can't read much.. I can READ, but it bores me quickly..

Thanx y'all!! :D
Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    I suggest Scott Kelby's new book -- seven point. It walks you through the post of 21 photos, step-by-step.

It's good for newbies, those who forget what to do, and those who improve since he provides the 21 "crappy" photos and shows you what he does to improve them.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    I suggest Scott Kelby's new book -- seven point. It walks you through the post of 21 photos, step-by-step.

It's good for newbies, those who forget what to do, and those who improve since he provides the 21 "crappy" photos and shows you what he does to improve them.

Yup and I'm backing you up on this April :D
    I just picked up Scotts new 7 Point System book today, and so far I am very very impressed with its very simple layout.

Stage by stage images, he even shows you were to get the same images he uses in the book so you can follow along also using the same images to learn with.

This book is well worth a look at thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    I have absolutely NO idea what the heck I am doing!! Any good walk thru's on Youtube or any other site?

Well, you can simply search Youtube for "photoshop". Or, if you want, post
    a picture you'd like PP'ed and I'm sure you'll get several people to work on
    it and tell you the steps they took. I'd sure do it.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 16, 2007
    aktse wrote:

I agree it is a very helpful book, I am in the process of working through each lesson.

I suspect that a complete newb may find it a bit confusing at times, as it jumps right into layers, and selections, complete with blending modes.

A newbie can get through it if they have some help, but I'll bet there are parts that are somewhat confusing if they have not used image editing software previously. JMOne_nau.gif

I think Kelby's book on Photoshop CS3 for photographers might be a better place for a complete beginner to start.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    Preferably video, I can't read much.. I can READ, but it bores me quickly..

Back to the video idea, I would highly recommend lynda.com. It does cost, but for $25.00 a month you can go through as many training videos as you want and can, of course, choose PSCS3 only and the subjects you want to learn about. They also have a free trial of limited videos. I used them recently and was very impressed. Instructors include PS trainers from National Association of Photoshop Professionals. Certainly worth a look.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I agree it is a very helpful book, I am in the process of working through each lesson.

I suspect that a complete newb may find it a bit confusing at times, as it jumps right into layers, and selections, complete with blending modes.

A newbie can get through it if they have some help, but I'll bet there are parts that are somewhat confusing if they have not used image editing software previously. JMOne_nau.gif

I think Kelby's book on Photoshop CS3 for photographers might be a better place for a complete beginner to start.

Ahhhhhh yes point well taken Jim.
    I think we tend to assume that most people have used a version of PhotoShop, whether it be Elements or some other version of PS,
    and therefore they are a little more familiar with it's functions.

....... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    Skippy, maybe I am just a little bit slow, but I have used PS for over 5 years, and I remember that it was the most daunting software I had ever seen when I began with it. There are books dedicated to photographers using PS today - back then all the books were really written for digital artists, and did not really help photographers much at all back in PS 5 or 6.

Maybe the initial poster is much more knowledgeable than I was re: editing software back then.

Watching videos on YouTube can be very useful, but if the video is not careful to distinguish between layers, channels, and paths, the viewer may find them selves very confused. There can be very simple steps - just a button click, say - but if they are omitted, trying to duplicate what the video was showing can be next to impossible.

There are some excellent Tutorials here on dgrin that have stood the test of time - http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    you could try lynda.com, as well.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    HarlanBear already gave a link to lynda.com, Dave.

Please try to keep up!thumb.gif:D:D

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    HarlanBear already gave a link to lynda.com, Dave.

Please try to keep up!thumb.gif:D:D

You could also read HarlanBear's post!

:hide
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    pyrtek wrote:
    Well, you can simply search Youtube for "photoshop". Or, if you want, post
    a picture you'd like PP'ed and I'm sure you'll get several people to work on
    it and tell you the steps they took. I'd sure do it.
    While video training is great. It is generic and won't target what your trying to do. Sometimes it's nice to sit down and know how to do something right away vs. spending an hour watching video and only knowing the million different ways to save a file.

The ppl in this forum are great at post production and will answer all your questions, no matter how easy or hard they are.

Did anyone mention lynda.com?mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2007
    UUUgh!! My computer crashed AGAIN!!! I had to have my buddy take a look at it.. THe battery is dead, supposedly, so it had no boot sectors. Or something..

It's back up now.

ANYWAY... THanx for the help y'all!! thumb.gif

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    I also like the Adobe Creative Suite Podcast http://creativesuitepodcast.com/

The price is right :)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    I bought Kelby's Photoshop CS3 for digital photographers. Gotta say that it is really useful for those basic 'how to's' and will sit right beside my computer for the next months. (I am switching from PSPXI, so many things are familiar but still great to have all the nuances at your fingertips.)

ann
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Might want to try Russell Brown's vids.

http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2007
    OMG THIS PS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ivarwings.gifivarwings.gif

Now I'm just noticing how BAD I need a better mouse, graphics card, monitor, ....... EVERYTHING!! THis mouse is a little slow to respond.. Even for a wireless optical and a flat screen monitor, this is not up to snuff! Multimedia computer w/ Duo core HERE I COME!! :D ... I'm planning a computer rebuild w/ a 21" wide screen come tax season!

EDIT: Ok... THis whole computer is going in the darn POOL! :pissed

• Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    Just keep telling yourself that digital photography is so much cheaper since there is no film or processing to purchase:D :D

• Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    While video training is great. It is generic and won't target what your trying to do. Sometimes it's nice to sit down and know how to do something right away vs. spending an hour watching video and only knowing the million different ways to save a file.

The ppl in this forum are great at post production and will answer all your questions, no matter how easy or hard they are.

Did anyone mention lynda.com?mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

Jon, the lynda.com videos, which I and others have mentioned (but I was first, damnit:D ) are very specific and most are about 2-4 minutes. And while I do like having books around for reference, the training at lynda is really great. I've done pretty much all of them for PS and would stop the video, switch over to PS and do things on my own. I'm certainly not an expert, but no novice either, and the videos are a great place to learn the basics as well as advanced editing and workflow shortcuts.

Now I just have to keep an eye on the mail for that check from lynda. NOT.:nah
  • Options
    edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    I'm still trying to figure out the program and I've been working with it since Version 2.

Aside from the other suggestions posted here, all valid and quite useful, here's the best advice I can come up with: be okay about the fact that you'll be confused for a while. Photoshop is a nonlinear program and whatever workflow you evolve will also be nonlinear. There are usually 5 ways to accomplish a given task and maybe two or three of those ways will be equally valid as a solution. Learning to use option A and making it work, then using B the next time, and also making that work, can't really be taught. You have to just work it out. People find this confusing when they first start out. Go figure.

Take some time deciding how you want to approach each area that Photoshop is meant to address—Color, retouching, and compositing—and also which is more important to you. They all require different skills, and use different tools, but the one connecting thread is that no matter what you do, you have to learn how to create masks at some point. So put that high on your list.

I might catch some flak from serious users here, but I'm going to suggest the Photoshop WOW book for CS/CS2. (They were a long time preparing this one and it came out not too long before CS3 was released). What the beginner needs is absolutely NOT a catalogue of tools: This does that, and this does this... The good thing about the WOW series is that it's broken down into small, concise projects, each of which actually produces a real-world result using real-world workflows. You get to see the various tools, filters and techniques in action, and working together. Yeah, they take shortcuts and they're pitched more towards designers looking for WOW effects, but you won't learn anything wrong, and you will get a foundation for tackling some of the more sophisticated manuals mentioned, like Eismann's books, or Dan Margulis' books on color. And there's always a lot of nifty stuff on the included disk. Truth is, it's a really fun way to get up to speed quickly.

And you can always ask questions.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski